Jump to content

Renewing canadian health card

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, canadiangirl39 said:

Is it ok to renew  your Canadian health card even though you are living in the USA as a permanent resident?  Or should I let it expire?

You are most probably not eligible for provincial health care; look up the rules for your province.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to the Canada forum from Off Topic~~



Mod hat off


Being that you have to show proof of Ontario residency to renew how would you do that? 

The minute you crossed the US border to live in the US you you no longer qualified for Ontario health. 

Edited by Ontarkie


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As said, you being a resident of the US and not Canada makes you ineligible for provincial health care. You will have to pay for health care now.


Welcome to America.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously?  You are a US resident NOT a Canadian.  One cannot be a resident in 2 countries and use the services of both!  I would not suggest you pretend to be a resident of both and try to take advantage of free Canadian healthcare.  Best to contact OHIP and tell them you have left the country, then shred your card.  This way you are protecting your identity should someone wish to be fraudulent and pose as you.  As a Canadian citizen, and should you need to return to Canada to reside, you will be able to get coverage once you return and establish residency fulfilling OHIP's requirements. At that point they will issue a new card.

30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak to OHIP, not sure about other provinces. The only way you can remain eligible for OHIP is if you can document that your extended stay out of the country is intended to be temporary... for example, if you are pursuing postsecondary education or contract employment abroad. In these cases, you can be granted an extension of your OHIP benefits. Immigration to another country (ex. the U.S.) makes you ineligible for OHIP.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.