CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, Beachlover said:

I'm not opposed to guns, but on the other hand it's disturbing and sad that kids now have "intruder drills" at elementary schools.

Schools conduct all kinds of drills to protect students.

Wasn't that long ago when another type of drill was also practiced at elementary schools ... duck & cover.

I participated in those drills. Also remember intruders alerts.

"Intruder drills" are just that ... intruders drills ... intruders can be shooters or other deviants who broke through the schools protective parameter.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
16 minutes ago, natty bumppo said:

"Intruder drills" are just that ... intruders drills ... intruders can be shooters or other deviants who broke through the schools protective parameter.

I understand the purpose of the drills, but it's an unknown practice for most of the foreigners like me.The impact on little children ( stress and anxiety) shouldn't be underestimated. So no, it's not "just" intruder drills. 

It's preparing young children for a sad reality; a random individual can snap any time, and take that out on innocent people. When you are a parent and you  realize this,  it's extremely unsettling. Atleast, to me it is.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Beachlover said:

I understand the purpose of the drills, but it's an unknown practice for most of the foreigners like me.The impact on little children ( stress and anxiety) shouldn't be underestimated. So no, it's not "just" intruder drills. 

It's preparing young children for a sad reality; a random individual can snap any time, and take that out on innocent people. When you are a parent and you  realize this,  it's extremely unsettling. Atleast, to me it is.

And of as much use as "duck and cover" in the event of a nuclear attack. 

20 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

my kid has not really been worried about a nuclear attack, until trump got in office. so now he's stressed about random shootings and trump's itchy nuke finger.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

for any wondering, here's 2 dots to connect
He had been discharged from the Air Force for assaulting his wife and child, according to an Air Force spokeswoman.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/news/church-gunman-court-martialed-discharged-air-force-083938345.html

1117. Restrictions on the Possession of Firearms by Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence.
This provision amends the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 by banning the possession of firearms by individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1117-restrictions-possession-firearms-individuals-convicted

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

my kid has not really been worried about a nuclear attack, until trump got in office. so now he's stressed about random shootings and trump's itchy nuke finger.

We should all be worried. We have a deranged man, with a bad hairdo, access to nuclear weapons, and mentally unstable. And then, there is Jong Un.

Edited by CaliCat

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
36 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

Yeah, when my 5 year old told me about the drill, my thought was: let's hope this will never happen, cause kids won't stand a chance. During the drill they had to keep quiet to prevent alarming the possible intruder, kids in his class were crying....

Edited by Beachlover

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

for any wondering, here's 2 dots to connect
He had been discharged from the Air Force for assaulting his wife and child, according to an Air Force spokeswoman.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/news/church-gunman-court-martialed-discharged-air-force-083938345.html

1117. Restrictions on the Possession of Firearms by Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence.
This provision amends the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 by banning the possession of firearms by individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1117-restrictions-possession-firearms-individuals-convicted

So basically the system failed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

Be grateful he is not having nightmares:

fa1decc4f47b56548b638da0a3a20d41.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
1 hour ago, charmander said:

Not just any gun; assault rifle.

An assault rifle would be a title II classification. Very hard to get. This person did not have an assault rifle FYI.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Beachlover said:

Yeah, when my 5 year old told me about the drill, my thought was: let's hope this will never happen, cause kids won't stand a chance. During the drill they had to keep quiet to prevent alarming the possible intruder, kids in his class were crying....

Even a 5-yo knows there is little you can do against a crazy terrorist with a gun. 

Just now, Boiler said:

Be grateful he is not having nightmares:

fa1decc4f47b56548b638da0a3a20d41.jpg

i don't even get the correlation. do you dream about hillary being a vampire? maybe take some warm milk before bed.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Beachlover said:

And speaking of 5-yo, here is a sad story:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/half-of-the-texas-shooting-victims-are-children

Rylan_Ward_exh8vb

GOFUNDME

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas—One of the children shot in the First Baptist Church Massacre is out of surgery after he was shot five times. Rylan Ward, 5, is in critical condition at a San Antonio hospital and on a breathing tube, his cousin told The Daily Beast. Ward was shot once in the elbow, twice in the stomach, and twice in the leg. Ward was with his stepmother, who was killed by gunfire. Ward’s family is raising money for his recovery on GoFundMe. — Matt Briscoe