CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

So my comparison is valid, thank you!

You were comparing the state of Colorado to the city of London.

That isn't the same as comparing the USA (a country) to the UK (a country).

I shouldn't have to explain that. That's like 8 year old geography.

Jeez sometimes conversations here really go back to basics...

Timeline
4 minutes ago, bcking said:

Sadly, I think you do.

5 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

How come the UK only kills 12K per year with medical errors, but the US kills 250K?

That's rather off topic and could be subject to a whole different thread.

There was a very good response to the article that I believe the 250k statistic comes from. It was published alongside it in the BMJ. You should read it, if you have access to the BMJ. It goes through a number of the methodological flaws in the study and how they extrapolated and made many assumptions to come up with their number.

Your number from the UK I'm less familiar with. So I'd have to see the source on that one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, bcking said:

As I mentioned Colorado is MUCH bigger.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

As I mentioned Colorado is MUCH bigger.

It is very different from London.

One is a massive urban city.

The other is a spread out loosely populated state.

Come on now, this is obvious stuff.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bcking said:

It is very different from London.

One is a massive urban city.

The other is a spread out loosely populated state.

Come on now, this is obvious stuff.

So the UK and US are different.

Ahhhh

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, bcking said:

Yes and unfortunately want seems to make us unique is our inability to protect our citizens compared to similarly wealthy and advantaged companies.

Oh and our poor health outcomes, despite massive money spent.

There are more examples...

Quite a list to be proud of these days...

The US does protect itself.

Can't protect (legislate) people from being stupid

Isn't the UK with its draconian firearm laws moving onto the next weapon of choice?

How did the new firearm laws stop violent crime?

Seem to recall there are surrenderyourknife drop boxes in the UK for knives, scissors and other sharp implements.

Wonder if all the food is now going to be pureed since knives are going out of fashion.

Moving  back to topic ... 

1 minute ago, natty bumppo said:

The US does protect itself.

Can't protect (legislate) people from being stupid

Isn't the UK with its draconian firearm laws moving onto the next weapon of choice?

How did the new firearm laws stop violent crime?

Seem to recall there are surrenderyourknife drop boxes in the UK for knives, scissors and other sharp implements.

Wonder if all the food is now going to be pureed since knives are going out of fashion.

Moving  back to topic ... 

I guess we just have a monopoly on stupid I guess...

Come to think of it, that actually seems reasonable. Very good point.

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So the UK and US are different.

Ahhhh

There will never be a perfectly matched country to compare us to. We don't have a clone that we can perform a randomised controlled trial with.

Instead of using that to throw away logical well reasoned observational data (the best we will ever get when comparing countries), we could use the best comparisons we have available and try to learn from them.

Colorado compared to London is not the best available.

Good god this is getting depressing how basic this conversation has become...

I have a busy day tomorrow and have other things to tonight. You can continue to contemplate this on your own. It seems you may need more time anyway. 

Have a good night.

Edited by bcking

39 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

I used those two terms because someone else mentioned them.  

My argument, actually, was that we should list ALL countries in order, not just a handful.  But it doesn’t really matter, when you think about it.  Whether we have the worst gun homicide rate, or the 4th, or the 149th worst rate... we have a problem in America.  And no one seems to be able to solve it.

Personally, i think a lot of the reason why is due to apathy.  

When we have threads like this, several people wan't to discuss anything but our gun homicide problem. This is a microcosm of our country as a whole. We've moved from hammers to chainsaws to trucks to opioids to tube suicides. It's beyond apathy, it's deflection. None of the problems we have discussed are mutually exclusive. In the end, we still have a gun problem. We can address it on many fronts and we can do so without infringing on the rights of responsible gun owners. There are ways, there is just no will.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 minutes ago, bcking said:

I guess we just have a monopoly on stupid I guess...

Come to think of it, that actually seems reasonable. Very good point.

Yup ... pass a law stating that people shouldn't pee into the wind ... and guess what?

Somebody will pee into the wind and blame it on someone else cause they got wet.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, bcking said:

There will never be a perfectly matched country to compare us to. We don't have a clone that we can perform a randomised controlled trial with.

Instead of using that to throw away logical well reasoned observational data (the best we will ever get when comparing countries), we could use the best comparisons we have available and try to learn from them.

Colorado compared to London is not the best available.

Good god this is getting depressing how basic this conversation has become...

I have a busy day tomorrow and have other things to tonight. You can continue to contemplate this on your own. It seems you may need more time anyway. 

Have a good night.

You are the one that wanted to do comparisons.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

When we have threads like this, several people wan't to discuss anything but our gun homicide problem. This is a microcosm of our country as a whole. We've moved from hammers to chainsaws to trucks to opioids to tube suicides. It's beyond apathy, it's deflection. None of the problems we have discussed are mutually exclusive. In the end, we still have a gun problem. We can address it on many fronts and we can do so without infringing on the rights of responsible gun owners. There are ways, there is just no will.

All the deflection only shows there are some people who can't defend their position from a solid ground. Their argument is indefensible, but we've known that all along.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
11 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Shut her down, I'd say.

Thread is closed at OP's requests, in-thread and via PM.

(Reminder to all:  The "report" button typically gets faster action on such things. :) )

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).