Chris Duffy

Has any US Citizens moved to Philippines and worked there?

57 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

No way could I survive or anyone from USA be able to support themselves on 600 USD per month.  I would think around $1200 USD you could make it  but have to live in province and very frugal lifestyle.   I have not tried to live long term there, but I was thinking 1600 or above to live in moderate lifestyle there.  Some things are cheap there, some things are not. Electrical is pretty darn high there compared to US prices.

I think that the Philippines that you and I go to are in different worlds. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to retire there and live on $600 a month. I'm just saying that my wife, her sister and her parents all live there now on that much along with the modest income from her sari sari store and have all their needs met. She has A/C, refrigerator, washer/dryer, PC, TV's, etc. and her electric is around 3500 peso a month.

7 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I am early 50's.  I have just seen too many people who worked their tails off and retired and either died or spent all there savings trying to stay alive.  

The people I know that have died younger are the ones who want to retire and coast out the rest of their life. Not me. I plan to always be active as long as I am able. The reason I enjoy this thread so much is because to me life will begin at retirement. My needs will be met so whatever business venture I get involved with will be not only for income but for fun and to keep my mind and body busy :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, RO_AH said:

The people I know that have died younger are the ones who want to retire and coast out the rest of their life. Not me. I plan to always be active as long as I am able. The reason I enjoy this thread so much is because to me life will begin at retirement. My needs will be met so whatever business venture I get involved with will be not only for income but for fun and to keep my mind and body busy :D

True, I do want to stay busy but I have plans to be able to travel freely all over the Philippines and other places around the world. Kinda like Kulas does on his show Becoming Filipino. Your right, if you just retire and sit around you probable won't live to long. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I think that the Philippines that you and I go to are in different worlds. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to retire there and live on $600 a month. I'm just saying that my wife, her sister and her parents all live there now on that much along with the modest income from her sari sari store and have all their needs met. She has A/C, refrigerator, washer/dryer, PC, TV's, etc. and her electric is around 3500 peso a month.

And it depends on your lifestyle, of course it's easy to spend lots..even in the Philippines. My wife also says it's not that hard to live modestly. 

4 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

True, I do want to stay busy but I have plans to be able to travel freely all over the Philippines and other places around the world. Kinda like Kulas does on his show Becoming Filipino. Your right, if you just retire and sit around you probable won't live to long. 

Yes, I also see it as a great opportunity to see other places in Asia that I have always wanted to visit. Pretty inexpensive to fly to a lot of Asian destinations. But there are a lot of places I want to see in Philippines too. I love the Becoming Filipino YT channel...He really makes you want to see the country :D 

18 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I am talking about me as a US Citizen. I would have to have place in a secure and nice location with air con. 

Of course it location depends on what you pay. I am more familiar with Davao City or areas around Legaspi City.  Years ago I used to hear you could live like a King for $1000 per month, I think you would live pretty frugal like that.  

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

11 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Yes, I also see it as a great opportunity to see other places in Asia that I have always wanted to visit. Pretty inexpensive to fly to a lot of Asian destinations. But there are a lot of places I want to see in Philippines too. I love the Becoming Filipino YT channel...He really makes you want to see the country :D 

I have a buddy lives in Cambodia, I always think I will go visit him but once I get to Philippines there are so many places to explore.

What I started doing was just catching a plane to a place and seeing if I liked it and if I did I would stay a while and explore, if not I would only spend a few days.

Hidden gems I have found is Camiguin Island, It's full of hot/cold spring who had like 8 peso entrance fee, and plenty of nice ocean views.  Palawan is also a hidden gem I have enjoyed the island. Still want to make it to El Nido, it's on my to do list.

I have been to Boracay a few times, I find it to be ok, little touristy for me but they do have a lot of beach activities, I found a beach real close to tourist beach called Puka Shell Beach it only a few minute ride by tricycle.  Remote and deep clear blue water, and no hotels/motels and you can walk about about 15 feet in the water and it's about 5 feet deep.  The Boracay beaches have like Zones and from what I remember you could walk out 300 yards and it would be about waist deep.

22 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Giving up ownership to my asawa, or immediate in laws...so that isn't an issue.

That's what I said when I purchased a house there about 10 years ago, went thru a divorce and it was donated to the family.

Here is another option I would like to explore, I know a FilAm couple who moved there, they seem to like it in Panama.  And flights back to US are short.  

Panama

A bit farther south than Mexico, but even more retiree-friendly, is the small country of Panama. Due to its important port, it's a huge draw for people from all over the world and regularly ranks in top destinations for American expats.

Unlike other countries, the retiree benefits in Panama aren't just for your twilight years. Under Panama's Pensionado program, anyone over the age of 18 can apply for retirement-based residency as long as they meet the income test of having at least $1,000 per month in guaranteed retirement income.

Once your application is approved, Panama's Pensionado program provides discounts on everything from utility bills to personal loans. You even get 25 percent off of airline tickets and are exempt from paying import taxes when you bring your household belongings from the U.S.

If you're looking to move to Panama on a Social Security budget, San Jose de David is the place to be. It's becoming more and more popular with the expat community, so there are plenty of resources for newcomers of all ages. Typical monthly expenses in this sunny city are a bit higher than in Chapala, but still incredibly affordable, even if you plan to live on Social Security benefits alone.

Rent for a downtown one-bedroom is still a steal at $328 per month, and utilities, Internet and cell service add up to just $85. A month's worth of groceries is only $145 and a bus ride is just $0.35.

All told, you can live a comfortable life including all the good stuff such as movie nights, dining out and a fitness membership for just $877 a month. If you take advantage of the Pensionado discounts, your monthly expenses could be even lower.

My wife and I plan on opening a jiujitsu school somewhere in Metro Manila within the next 10 years. Seems that this martial art is growing in the Philippines, and the going rate for gym memberships are more than enough to clear the rent on a small dojo and make a modest income. With SS, 401K, and savings, combined with a bit of steady income, we should be OK.

1 hour ago, bjjbrent said:

My wife and I plan on opening a jiujitsu school somewhere in Metro Manila within the next 10 years. Seems that this martial art is growing in the Philippines, and the going rate for gym memberships are more than enough to clear the rent on a small dojo and make a modest income. With SS, 401K, and savings, combined with a bit of steady income, we should be OK.

It is.  There are a few Sayaw ng Kamatayan schools but not many jujitsu schools.  Filipinos love the sparring techniques in taekwondo so I think jujitsu and hapkido will be popular there.  A bit more grappling than taekwondo so those are great sister arts.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 hours ago, bjjbrent said:

I have a buddy of mine who is in to MMA  both in Florida and in Davao as well. He helps plan and promote fights when he is in Davao, and your right BJJ,  Taekwondo, and Karate are big right now in the Philippines. He was actually joking a couple weeks ago with me about how they are bigger right now than the traditional Philippine martial arts.

19 hours ago, bjjbrent said:

I actually think that might work out.  

Interesting concept

I looked at becoming a lawyer in Philippines. If you are born a US Citizen you can't become one in Philippines.

I suspect they have laws written to keep US Citizen from getting any type of Professional License, maybe the USA should employ this when people from Philippines try to get a RN License or other licenses in the USA.

I was looking at the anti dummy laws in Philippine, so if your wife starts a business then you could go to jail if you work for her if you are US citizen.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.