Brittani

Citizenship VS Greencard Opinions?

60 posts in this topic

We honestly just started the K1 process but I was just curious how others felt about this personally. At this point we think it's best that my fiance just continue renewing the greencard once he gets it and keep his United Kingdom citizenship. I understand it's a long time to think about but I'm just curious to hear from others. Is that even allowed? To just keep renewing the 10 year greencard over the years? Or is it required to apply for citizenship after so long?

The only reason we see that best for us is because we may want to move to England one day after our children are adults, it's doubtful but I do adore it over there so I wouldn't rule it out completely. Has anyone else ever done this before?

Please no negative feedback, just asking a general question.

Thanks in advance!:)

2 minutes ago, Brittani said:

We honestly just started the K1 process but I was just curious how others felt about this personally. At this point we think it's best that my fiance just continue renewing the greencard once he gets it and keep his United Kingdom citizenship. I understand it's a long time to think about but I'm just curious to hear from others. Is that even allowed? To just keep renewing the 10 year greencard over the years? Or is it required to apply for citizenship after so long?

The only reason we see that best for us is because we may want to move to England one day after our children are adults, it's doubtful but I do adore it over there so I wouldn't rule it out completely. Has anyone else ever done this before?

You can renew your green card until the end of time. But you'll have to pay the renewal fee over and over and keep going through the USCIS process. If you can get dual citizenship, it's a better option (my opinion). With a GC, if you leave for 6+ months, including living abroad, you will lose your GC and have to start the entire process over again with an CR1 visa, etc.

1 minute ago, GreatDane said:

You can renew your green card until the end of time. But you'll have to pay the renewal fee over and over and keep going through the USCIS process. If you can get dual citizenship, it's a better option (my opinion). With a GC, if you leave for 6+ months, including living abroad, you will lose your GC and have to start the entire process over again with an CR1 visa, etc.

Sheesh, hate that everything is so difficult but that comes with the whole "this is not a right, it's a privilege". Honestly, as long as we are together that is all that matters to me. We'll probably quite happily enjoy going for visits.

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Brittani said:

my uncle has had his greencard for years and travels back and forth between canada/usa no issues. i am not looking to get citizenship any time soon either (except to apply for Survivor)

IMO - if you are not an overstay you can move to a VWP country (UK) and give up your greencard and not have issues

if you overstyed before getting the greencard, once you leave for more then a year and give up the greencard you will never get another tourist visa!!! that is the issue.  you have been flagged and your name will come up! so that is the issues with overstaying a b2 visa. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Brittani said:

This is an interesting topic you brought up because people do not think about the reprocusions about overstaying. 

1 minute ago, caliliving said:

my uncle has had his greencard for years and travels back and forth between canada/usa no issues. i am not looking to get citizenship any time soon either (except to apply for Survivor)

IMO - if you are not an overstay you can move to a VWP country (UK) and give up your greencard and not have issues

if you overstyed before getting the greencard, once you leave for more then a year and give up the greencard you will never get another tourist visa!!! that is the issue.  you have been flagged and your name will come up! so that is the issues with overstaying a b2 visa. 

Yeah, that's what he's been coming back and forth on is the tourist and you get 90 days and he always stays roughly 70-80 days just because you never know what could happen as far as weather and flights. It's horrible. I so wish they would extend it to 6 months like the UK's that would be amazing. 

We honestly probably will just do the renew the greencard over and over option.

Thanks!

Just now, caliliving said:

This is an interesting topic you brought up because people do not think about the reprocusions about overstaying. 

Oh, I know. Try explaining it to what I call "normal" people. You know people who don't deal with long distance and have no understanding haha. Not meant to insult them or us in anyway though. My family, friends, coworkers always ask "ugh why can't Stephen stay longer?" as if it's up to him like he is the one doing the deciding. I'm like hmmm well he can go back for a few months or he can overstay and get banned for up to years and pretty much screw his chances of ever getting to stay permanently.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brittani said:

Oh, I know. Try explaining it to what I call "normal" people. You know people who don't deal with long distance and have no understanding haha. Not meant to insult them or us in anyway though. My family, friends, coworkers always ask "ugh why can't Stephen stay longer?" as if it's up to him like he is the one doing the deciding. I'm like hmmm well he can go back for a few months or he can overstay and get banned for up to years and pretty much screw his chances of ever getting to stay permanently.

but he has a greencard so their is no overstaying. 

what i am saying is that PRIOR to his greencard did he overstay?? 

Edited by caliliving

It's not like he would be giving up UK citizenship by one day becoming a US citizen.  Never having to worry about visas or the VWP and all that entails is a powerful attractant for people. 

As a Canadian citizen who doesn't even need to worry about the VWP, citizenship holds even less appeal to me. 

People who travel tend to like having US citizenship too but it looks like Germany is the newest most powerful passport.

The world's 25 most powerful passports

1. Germany, 176 countries can be visited without a visa

2. Sweden, 175

=3. Denmark, Finland, Italy, Spain, United States, 174

=8. Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, United Kingdom, 173

=16. Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, 172

=19. Canada, Greece, Portugal, Switzerland, 171

=23. Australia, South Korea, 170

25. Iceland, 169

But in all honesty most countries tend to like you more without the American flag on your backpack. :whistle: 

yes you can constantly renew every 10 years. i know people that have for 40 years from the UK that have no interest in being a US citizen. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

He doesn't need to give up his British citizenship if he naturalises here. He can be a dual citizen. 

It's a very interesting topic and one I am mulling over in my head a lot at the moment. Although I think I probably would take citizenship so that I can be sure I won't have to ever leave the USA (my husband has a felony and has a lifetime ban from the U.K. and would struggle to be able to move elsewhere so it's important for me that I can stay here indefinitely and with no chance of being removed) I am not too thrilled about becoming an American and having to pledge allegiance. The U.K. will always be home to me and will always come first. But, as with many things in this process, I'll go through the motions that I have to do in order for us to be together. I also know how Americans are viewed by many other nations in the world and although I don't believe in stereotypes there's no smoke without fire and I would hate to be seen that way by other countries. 

I wish I could have stayed 70 to 80 days per visit! I visited 40 times in the 5 years before I moved here but my longest trip here was 3 weeks (and 10 days if that was with work and then I added some personal time on the end to be able to spend time with my husband). Who does your fiancé work for? I need to work for a company with that amount of vacation! 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

The US cannot make you renounce your home country citizenship, even though they "recommend it." 

It's up to your home country whether THEY allow you to be a dual citizen. The only exception is if you want to work in a US government job that requires a security clearance -- you cannot be a dual citizen and hold a security clearance. 

Edited by Lee & Lei

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most I have come across is someone with 6, reminds me I need to renew my Passport.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.