Going through

Disappointing Oath Ceremony

71 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Doug&Alex thank you for your well wishes :) 

Yeah it was quite the culture shock coming from a "nice" place like Canada into the rougher NY environment all those years ago...I remember being yelled at (literally yelled at) by a post office clerk when I asked her how her day was at the beginning of my transaction because, according to her, I was "wasting her time  with small talk and there's a huge line, no time to chat, we're not friends!!!!"  I think I'd been in the country less than a month?  Left there in almost tears and embarrassment (everyone was staring at me) and confusion over what exactly did I do wrong....now I can just shake my head and laugh at it, but it was an eye-opening welcome to the city that's for sure!

Best of luck to your fiance and step daughter---hope everything works out well for them!

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, Doug&Alex said:

I also would like to apologize on behalf of most "free" America on your Ceremony being so horribly dismissed as it was.

LOL. "free" America is called Canada - especially if you like to apologise. ;)

Timeline

Amazing how fast your N400 went through.

I hope I have the same experience. Hoping it has something to do with both Canada and the US sharing a lot of info on background checks.

08-20-2011 Married

Work Visa

03-04-2012 Obtained L1-B Visa at Champlain, NY POE

Green Card

(Day 0) 03-13-2014 Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lock box

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Bio-metrics appointment letter received (appointment 05/02/2014)

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Successful Bio-metrics walk-in @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 53) 05-05-2014 Received hard copy of Interview Letter.

(Day 82) 06-03-2014 Day of AOS interview, Approved on the spot, given an approval letter.

(Day 89) 06-09-2014 Green Card in hand delivered after only 89 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Citizenship

(Day 0) 03-19-2018 N-400 Application Submitted Online

(Day 21) 04-09-2018 Bio-metrics Appointment @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 77) 06-04-2018 Received Interview Letter

(Day 114) Naturalization Interview - Approved on the spot @West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 116) Naturalization Oath Ceremony @ West Palm Beach, FL

________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport

(Day 0) 07-20-2018 Applied for passport (Non-Expedited) @ Clerk of Country, Port St Lucie Florida

(Day 17) 08-06-2018 Passport Received

Timeline
4 hours ago, Maria and Jason said:

Amazing how fast your N400 went through.

I hope I have the same experience. Hoping it has something to do with both Canada and the US sharing a lot of info on background checks.

Canada, US and UK share criminal background info, border info, and immigration info openly with each other---I do think being from Canada allowed for the background check to maybe go a bit faster.  Best of luck with your filing!

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

I didn't read through all 5 pages of this thread so I don't know if this was already said; but it's a real shame your ceremony wasn't conducted in a more special manner and I suggest that you contact someone and submit a complaint.  A USCIS manager or your representative.  Maybe the judge.

Perhaps it was just a bad day or they never put any thought into how important this is to the new citizens and their families.  Regardless, I would contact someone and let them know how you feel.    

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello @Going through , and congratulations! I remember reading this review when you posted it a year ago but I hadn't realized that I failed to congratulate you until now. My wife just went through her naturalization ceremony last month in Santa Fe and luckily it was sort of the opposite of yours, well except for me almost getting into a fight with the family of another new citizen, but that's another story 🤣.  Sorry to hear that yours wasn't pleasant. It really is a cool day for new US citizens. We were fortunate in that my wife's mother from Colombia had arrived a few weeks earlier on a planned visit so she was able to see her daughter go through the ceremony. We were all very happy and had a nice celebration lunch afterwards. Really glad to see you and others who have been naturalized sticking around on the VJ board even though your immigration journey is essentially complete. Take care!

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've posted the story on another thread, here.

Truthfully it's a little embarrassing but I don't regret sticking up for my mother in law.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
2 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

Hello @Going through , and congratulations! I remember reading this review when you posted it a year ago but I hadn't realized that I failed to congratulate you until now. My wife just went through her naturalization ceremony last month in Santa Fe and luckily it was sort of the opposite of yours, well except for me almost getting into a fight with the family of another new citizen, but that's another story 🤣.  Sorry to hear that yours wasn't pleasant. It really is a cool day for new US citizens. We were fortunate in that my wife's mother from Colombia had arrived a few weeks earlier on a planned visit so she was able to see her daughter go through the ceremony. We were all very happy and had a nice celebration lunch afterwards. Really glad to see you and others who have been naturalized sticking around on the VJ board even though your immigration journey is essentially complete. Take care!

That is awesome that your mother in law was able to see her go through the ceremony!!  Glad things worked out timing-wise that way for her :) 

I took a week or so "off" from the forums after I became a citizen---and part of me, for a moment, thought I was done with VJ altogether since I'd symbolically (and literally, I guess) come to the end of my timeline, so to speak.  I stayed because I missed the people, and for me it's also a bit of a social-thing (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before) since I tend to keep myself kinda isolated in real-life.  Thanks for your congrats 🍁

• 9 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 10/19/2017 at 3:58 PM, Going through said:

So ok...this was my experience at my Oath Ceremony today in Brooklyn.

Went through security relatively quickly and easily considering I showed up a good 40 minutes early.   Now, I had gone ahead and called Camdan Plaza East where the ceremony was going to be held, so I already knew that no cameras or cell phones were permitted in the courthouse (whether participants or guests), and I already was aware that there would be a possibility that guests were not able to view the actual ceremony.

All Queens, NY filers must have their oath ceremony at the court house regardless of whether or not a name-change is requested.  Just how it's done for Queens filers.   The building itself is beautiful inside, with wide spiral staircases, and lots of marble and artwork on the walls.   Headed up to the 2nd floor, where my husband and child were directed to the 3rd floor cafeteria.  I asked if they would be able to view the ceremony at all, and was told they would be called down later on.

Fast forward to 8:30AM when we got started with everything.  Applicants were taking up only 3 rows of the court benches, so it wasn't a long process to get everyone situated with how to fill out the back of the Oath Letter.   A few moments later, a representative from the voter registration office gave a small speech on how to vote and pressed us to fill out the application form and immediately hand it back over to her, and then she left the room never to be seen again.   After that, no one spoke to us or gave out any information on how the day would go, or welcomed us, nothing like that and participants were pretty much left on our own to just sit there and wait for....whatever was going to happen next. 

We were called up again to hand over the green card and receive an envelope.  Inside the envelope was a hard folder to place our certificate in, a copy of the oath, the passport application, and information on voting/serving on a jury.  Wish I'd gotten a flag, but oh well.  No welcoming letter from the President, but truth be told I didn't really expect one.

After about an hour, another lady started talking to us about passport applications and telling us that we can apply for the passport anytime after the ceremony (but not with them in any way, must be done through the post office or passport agency).  One person asked a rather simple question about the form, and when the staff didn't understand him due to a language barrier, I re-stated the question more coherently (I was sitting infront of him). The man was then replied to in a long, drawn-out condescending way that he "shouldn't be asking them anything about passports---ask us about immigration only!  When you go to the post office, you ask them questions about the post office, right???  I can't tell you anything about passports or the post office because I don't know anything about that."  Kind of went on and on increasingly condescendingly....okaaaayyyy....well they DID present the passport application forms to us and asked if people had any questions, but whatever.  She then stated we should apply for our SS status to be changed no less than 10 days after the oath ceremony, and asked if we had any questions about that process.  No one said a peep, probably because they were afraid of being lectured for asking a question.

After another wait, the 3rd lady came into the room and started setting herself up at a desk.  I was sitting in the front and could hear the staff conversations taking place since the room was nearly silent, and they were only a few feet away seated at the table.  At that point, one of them said to her "did you bring the country list?"  to which she replied "nah I didn't bother with it".  From reading other oath ceremony threads, and watching videos, I knew then that there would be no announcement of the countries recognized at the ceremony, which was a downer to me because I was looking forward to that part....almost like feeling like our immigration success was a global community effort we all shared in, but wasn't going to happen at my ceremony today.   It was also sad that they just seemed to decide on-the-spot to not be bothered with it and brush it off for whatever personal reason the woman had (maybe laziness?).

Soon enough, boredom sets in, since we are not being engaged in any way, and a few of us (myself included) start chatting among ourselves, not loudly.  We have a few giggles discussing our immigration journeys, what country we are from, etc. and generally how we're happy to become citizens.  About 10 minutes into our conversation, one of the workers comes over to us and ----- to my disbelief ---- tells us "You are getting too excited about this now, alright?  You all calm down and be quiet."  We, as a small group, were stunned that we were actually told to stop socializing with each other and just continue to sit there staring ahead in silence.  Personally, I was flabbergasted that she implied we shouldn't even be HAPPY about reaching this day in our lives.

One of the workers stood up and threatened everyone that if they didn't hand in all previous USCIS-issued documents (EADs and expired GC's) to them now or failed to mail them in at a later date "We have everything on file so we already know.  We can find out...I'm just letting you know we will find out"  I felt this was completely unnecessary of them to say this out-of-the-blue, and in a passive-aggressive manner.

Afterwards, we were called up by line to view our naturalization certificates.  As we approached the desk in single file, the lady barked out "what's your number?!" without explaining exactly what number she was referring to (I learned quickly she meant the last 3 digits of the alien number) then whipped out the certificate and gave each person literally a two-second glance at it before barking at us "sign your name!"  To the woman's eye-rolling annoyance, I refused to give it barely a 2-second glance, knowing this would be the only time I could get the certificate corrected for free, and looked over everything not just my name. Upon sitting down, I remarked purposefully loudly to the woman next to me (who whispered to me how rude she was) "You know, I've never been referred to as just a number before, I thought they only did that in jail."  The other worker met my eyes and slightly smiled sympathetically.  I think even SHE was wondering why her co-worker was so abrupt with everyone, despite her *own* prior unpleasantness towards participants.  

One poor girl who had requested a name change pointed out to the worker that the certificate didn't reflect her request.  The worker asked her what her name was supposed to be, and then flippantly remarked "Well they didn't do it.  Sign your name!"  The young lady, for obvious reasons, hesitated in signing it and the worker looked up at her and actually said "What's the problem?"  When the lady repeated that her name is not as requested on the certificate, she was again told to sign it as written.  She did end up signing it, and then respectfully asked "What do I do now, though, about the wrong name?"  The lady abruptly said "You have to go to civil court." and LITERALLY TURNED HER BACK TO HER in her swivel chair!!!  Completely ignored her until she walked away, head down, and confused.   "Next---what's your number?!"

Our families did eventually come down and were herded together into a small section partially away from us all. 

The judge arrived, we all rose out of respect and then were told to be seated again.  The judge immediately told us that she had just found out this morning that she would be presiding (from eavesdropping on the staff, I could hear them discussing which judge to call to administer the oath just before).  She gave a brief 5-minute off-the-cuff speech about the importance of voting, and serving on a jury.  There was no discussion about the importance of the day, no talk about immigrants contributing to the country, no mention about personal experience with the process.  Just a statement about voting, and jury duty---and a mention of "Happy Diwali" to those celebrating it.  She also introduced her new office clerk to us, a disinterested looking young man sitting next to her.  Overall, she had a pleasant personality, just wished something more poignant was said.  Anything.  Anything at all.   Something to make the day seem special.  Near the end of her comments, she spoke about how we should go forth and be respectable members of society and pay our taxes.  I noticed a few side-eyes being given and maybe we all thought the same thing....that we already *have* been paying taxes and *have* been good members of society.

We took the oath of allegiance, and then recited the pledge of allegiance.  We all clapped for ourselves and each other.  The judge handed us our certificate and shook our hands with a perfunctory "congratulations" and then we were immediately directed to leave the courthouse.  Her new clerk, adding to his aura of disinterest, stood next to her with his hands in his pockets, not speaking unless directly spoken to.  

All in all, it was a disappointing day.  There was no memorable moment, no feeling of a journey acknowledged, no special gathering, no poignant moment where I felt included as a citizen, no....niceness....about the entire experience.  I remarked to my husband later that it felt like I had just left another USCIS appointment where I just handed over some paperwork.  It was abrupt, the staff seemed mostly annoyed with our presence, rude for the most part, and just an anti-climatic moment all-around since my immigration process began.

Am I happy that my journey is over and I'm a citizen as the main thing?  Yes, I suppose so.  Just wish more thought was put into making it an actual special day for people who have struggled, and sweated, and cried, and stressed and sacrificed to make it as far as they did.  Previously reading other people's oath ceremonies in different cities/states had me thinking today wouldn't be "just like any other day".  :(:( 

All in all, the highlight of my ceremony was giving @vkhutchings a hug as we congratulated each other outside of the courtroom.  

So that's it.  Oh yeah, that sums up nicely how I felt as soon as I left the courthouse.... "That's it?"

May I just ask you how do you find out all the naturalizations in queens office will be held at a court? I’m thinking change my name but I’m don’t wanna slow down the process, if queens office only does judicial ceremonies, there is no reason for me not to, so just wanna know. I’m in queens too

Timeline
1 hour ago, djidis said:

May I just ask you how do you find out all the naturalizations in queens office will be held at a court? I’m thinking change my name but I’m don’t wanna slow down the process, if queens office only does judicial ceremonies, there is no reason for me not to, so just wanna know. I’m in queens too

Currently, all of the Queens filers end up doing their oath in a court house in Brooklyn...whether a  name change is requested or not.  

You still have to request on your application (or during your interview) that you want to do a name change before the oath happens, though---in other words, it's not like you can show up and tell them during your oath ceremony that you want to legally change your name.

Changing the name doesn't slow down the process in Queens, really, as all oaths are done at the courthouse anyhow---there are no administrative ceremonies you can have as an alternative for Queens filers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.