Marc Martínez

We got a RFE (Request for Evidence)

52 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiancée and I applied for the Visa K-1 and after waiting 5 months we got a RFE (Request For Evidence). They ask for:

• Beneficiary’s intent to marry in the US
  • Evidence of meeting in person in the last two years

We already sent a statement saying my intention to get married (I'm the beneficiary), but I think it was too simple and incomplete, so I hope whether we send a new one more complete and saying that my intent is to get married during the 90 days of the Visa K-1 (with wet signature) would be enough. Handwritten also?We can't show them anything about the wedding because we are waiting for the Visa K-1 to start to arrange it. What do you think? Any idea? 

We are more worried about the "Evidence of meeting in person in the last two years".  We don't understand why they need more evidence because we sent pictures, airplane tickets, hotels receipts. We don't know what else we can provide them to show that we saw each other during these last two years. I think that we can provide them photocopies of our passports (all the pages). Any piece of advise?

More doubts that we have:

- Do we have to send again the full pack (all the forms, etc) or it's enough with the two things that they are asking for and the RFE?

- Do you know any way to prove that a picture was taken on X date? For instance, a way to print the date on the picture or something like that.

PD: They don't say in the RFE that they lost the documents they are asking for, so I guess that they just need everything more detailed and complete.

Edited by Marc Martínez

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1. You both (beneficiary and petitioner) need to submit a letter of intent to marry. It can be hand written or typed. There is a sample letter in the guides section here somewhere. A wet signature is always good. 

2. It could be that they did indeed lose your evidence (it happens occasionally). I would resubmit the initial evidence you provided (photos, hotel receipts, plane tickets, ect) as well as copies of the passport pages/stamps. For the photos, you can write the date they were taken on the back of them.

You do not need to resend the entire I-129F packet, just the documents that are requested and a copy of the RFE notice. You could also include a cover letter highlighting the additional evidence added.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

It's not a matter of the letter being too incomplete...it's just been so long that they want another one. Having it handwritten isn't needed. This is commonly added to the RFEs lately.

They may have lost your evidence of meeting, or they just aren't 100% sure of the date and locations where you met in person. Do you have any other receipts showing you were in the same location? The passport stamps and boarding passes are a good add, too. Airplane tickets don't really show you actually went on the flights.

Pictures are secondary evidence...putting a date & location to a photo is quite difficult. Putting a date over the top of one is pretty meaningless...anybody could forge that without a trace very easily.

You don't need to resend the entire packet...just the RFE letter, a cover letter (recommended), and the requested evidences.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Marc Martínez said:

Thanks for you response!

But the only ask for "Beneficiary’s intent to marry in the US", they don't ask for her statement. Do you think that we have to send both??

Thanks in advance

"The fiancé visa petition needs to include a statement of intent to marry with original signature from both the petitioner and beneficiary. "

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, Marc Martínez said:

But the only ask for "Beneficiary’s intent to marry in the US", they don't ask for her statement. Do you think that we have to send both?

Did you and the petitioner send one originally? Either way, it won't hurt to both send a letter in the RFE response.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Marc Martínez said:

Hi everyone,

My fiancée and I applied for the Visa K-1 and after waiting 5 months we got a RFE (Request For Evidence). They ask for:

We already sent a statement saying my intention to get married (I'm the beneficiary), but I think it was too simple and incomplete, so I hope whether we send a new one more complete and saying that my intent is to get married during the 90 days of the Visa K-1 (with wet signature) would be enough. Handwritten also?We can't show them anything about the wedding because we are waiting for the Visa K-1 to start to arrange it. What do you think? Any idea? 

We are more worried about the "Evidence of meeting in person in the last two years".  We don't understand why they need more evidence because we sent pictures, airplane tickets, hotels receipts. We don't know what else we can provide them to show that we saw each other during these last two years. I think that we can provide them photocopies of our passports (all the pages). Any piece of advise?

- Do we have to send again the full pack (all the forms, etc) or it's enough with the two things that they are asking for and the RFE?

- Do you know any way to prove that a picture was taken on X date? For instance, a way to print the date on the picture or something like that.

PD: They don't say in the RFE that they lost the documents they are asking for, so I guess that they just need everything more detailed and complete.

Hello, 

I recently got an RFE for something similar so I thought I would share my experience. My RFE was for more evidence that we had met in the last two years as well. I originally sent scans of my passport pages with the visa stamps on, copy of my residency card from Kenya, boarding passes and flight confirmations from my flights to Kenya, about 10 photos, visa invoices and applications for each of my visits to Kenya, and a half page describing how we met and the dates of my two trips to Kenya (totaling 6 months in person time). I thought this was sufficient. Since I thought my RFE was a bit open to interpretation, not really warranted because I felt what I provided originally was sufficient, and I wasn't sure what they wanted I literally sent EVERYTHING I had. My envelope weighed 1 lb 11oz when I sent it off. So this is what I sent back: 75 page summary including ~100 photos detailing my three trips to Kenya totaling 8 months in person together. For each photo I put the date, location, and indicated who was in each photo. I fleshed out how we met and more details of my trips there. I sent scans of my entire passport cover to cover (it seems they want the biodata page to accompany the visa stamps), call logs and screenshots of our daily conversations from whatsapp, screenshots of the whatsapp conversations he had with my mom (including when he asked her permission to marry me- I never knew about this before the RFE but think it is so cute), the billing summaries for my Airbnbs in Kenya, more flight confirmations and boarding passes (I made a 2 month trip to Kenya after I sent in the original application), proof of my program (I studied abroad in Kenya for 6 months when I met him) including my application for residency and further proof of my resident status in Kenya, a copy of my lease application because I already added him onto my apartment lease, and the receipt for the engagement ring he bought. 

Most people would say this excessive but I really didn't understand what they wanted apparently something I included convinced them because I was approved 10/10/17. Let me know if you have any questions. The RFEs for this requirement seem to be a bit vague and are very inconsistent  across cases in my opinion. Best wishes to you! 

NOA1 Received Date: April 27th, 2017

NOA1 Notice Date: May 1st, 2017

RFE email notice: September 25th, 2017

RFE hardcopy received: September 28th, 2017

USCISs Response to RFE received: September 29th, 2017

NOA2: October 10th, 2017

NVC Received and Case Number Assigned: October 24th, 2017

NVC Left and Consulate Received: October 26th, 2017

Medical Exam: November 7th, 2017

Interview: December 5th, 2017 APPROVED

Visa on hand: December 8th, 2017

POE (LAX): December 12th, 2017

• 6 months later...
On 10/19/2017 at 12:48 PM, Marc Martínez said:

Thanks for you response!

But the only ask for "Beneficiary’s intent to marry in the US", they don't ask for her statement. Do you think that we have to send both??

Thanks in advance

My experience: My fiancé and I applied in September 2017 and received an RFE for a letter of intent to marry from the beneficiary at the very end of March. Our lawyer only said to write a letter from the beneficiary and he asked that it be a wet signature and notarized. I was also able to obtain a letter from the surrogate at my local courthouse (that will eventually be marrying us when we are approved) as a second form of evidence that we do intend to marry within the 90 days of my fiancé’s arrival even though there is no set date. Not sure if you are planning on doing a courthouse or not but my lawyer said that if we were able to obtain a second letter from the surrogate then it wouldn’t hurt to send it in with my fiancé’s letter of intent.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

About the letter, I just used the standard model given here and other forums and made sure to sign it. It was typed, not handwritten, which probably makes it easier on them to read. Just make sure it meets all the basic info (see templates from VisaJourney) and sign it.  Could be that they just lost it or didn't see it.

We got a RFE for additional evidence of having met, which made me really scared and mad, because I originally had sent a lot of solid proof. By then we had seen each other on 4 trips and had provided photos, tickets, passport stamps, etc. In my case, I suspect that my "mistake" was that I arranged all the info in chronological order, meaning that the first 10 out of 20 pages of evidence were just screenshots of conversation instead of actual photos together, and you only got to see photos by the end of the compilation. I think they maybe were too lazy to go through the last pages and didn't see that I had actual photos and such. That's my petty guess though, it could be that they just lost it or something. 

Either way, I'm 99% sure it was a failure on their part, because when I sent the response to the RFE, I literally only sent like 20% of the evidence I sent the first time. I made sure it was just the "solid" evidence like photos, passport stamps and such, no fluff like phone records or conversation snippets. Personally, I printed them as screenshots of social media, that way it shows time stamps of date posted, and "likes/comments" which IMO made it even more "real". But if you don't have them on social media, just photos with the date/place is enough. I also put the title on each page of photos like "First Trip USA-Chile, xx/xx/2015" to make it easier (at that point I was so frustrated with the silly delay that I assumed they were being just lazy or dumb, so I tried making it as straight-forward as possible).

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

We filed sept 2017 and we got (LETTER of INTENT to MARRY ) RFE NOTICE for beneficiaty on first week of march, i did write the letter and notirized, march 15 i mailed my letter , march 29 2018 i got  APPROVED NOA2 ..

The first letter of intent to marry that i submitted when we filed the i-129f was NOT NOTORIZED might be not acceptable thats why they asked for another one 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Ellenju31 said:

We filed sept 2017 and we got (LETTER of INTENT to MARRY ) RFE NOTICE for beneficiaty on first week of march, i did write the letter and notirized, march 15 i mailed my letter , march 29 2018 i got  APPROVED NOA2 ..

The first letter of intent to marry that i submitted when we filed the i-129f was NOT NOTORIZED might be not acceptable thats why they asked for another one 

Notarization not required

YMMV

1 hour ago, Ellenju31 said:

First of all, congratulations on your NOA2!!

My fiancé and I had a similar situation .. filed in September, we received the RFE for letter of intent to marry from beneficiary the last week of March so we sent it in notarized (per our lawyer .. wonder if it’s a change that they’re looking for notarized because our first letter the lawyer didn’t request it be notarized but the RFE letter he said it needed to be) but we haven’t heard anything yet. It’s been about 10 days since USCIS updated stating they received our additional evidence. Hoping to hear something within the next week 🤞🏻

On 19/10/2017 at 5:29 PM, Marc Martínez said:

Hi everyone,

That wierd , i got aprouved in less then 4 month and when it come to evidence of meeting i just sent Pictures , no passport stamp , no boarding passe , and for the intent of mary letter i just made a simple one "I the beneficary(fullname) , itent to marry the petioner(fullname) withing 90 days of my entrie to the us , I didnt recieve any rfe , like some one told me who had experience with USCI , the more file you submit , the longer your petition take to be aprouved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Abdeslam said:

That wierd , i got aprouved in less then 4 month and when it come to evidence of meeting i just sent Pictures , no passport stamp , no boarding passe , and for the intent of mary letter i just made a simple one "I the beneficary(fullname) , itent to marry the petioner(fullname) withing 90 days of my entrie to the us , I didnt recieve any rfe , like some one told me who had experience with USCI , the more file you submit , the longer your petition take to be aprouved

How long a petition's approval takes has nothing to do with those, your case was a lucky case. As there are thousands who also sends less but gets approved in a longer time.  Sometimes random dates gets approvals in numbers. same thing happened around the same time you got approved with some November cases.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
On 30/04/2018 at 9:00 AM, Katelyngene said:

First of all, congratulations on your NOA2!!

My fiancé and I had a similar situation .. filed in September, we received the RFE for letter of intent to marry from beneficiary the last week of March so we sent it in notarized (per our lawyer .. wonder if it’s a change that they’re looking for notarized because our first letter the lawyer didn’t request it be notarized but the RFE letter he said it needed to be) but we haven’t heard anything yet. It’s been about 10 days since USCIS updated stating they received our additional evidence. Hoping to hear something within the next week 🤞🏻

We got the NVC case num Created: April 17

And in APRIL 25, 2018 ous  status is "READY" but i havent recieved the pocket 3 yet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.