Saudi Arabia Lifts Ban on Women Driving

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Progress!

By 
Margherita Stancati

Updated Sept. 26, 2017 3:49 p.m. ET

RIYADH—Saudi Arabia on Tuesday lifted the ban on women driving, removing a restriction that had become a symbol of women’s oppression in the deeply conservative kingdom.

The announcement, made by King Salman through a royal decree, says women will be officially allowed to obtain driving licenses in Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women weren’t allowed to drive. 

The decree will go into effect in June next year, after a government committee will study how to begin allowing women onto the roads driving their own vehicles.

“We refer to the negative consequences of not allowing women to drive, and the positive aspects of allowing them to do so, taking into consideration the necessary Shari’ah regulations and compliance with them,” King Salman said in the decree, referring to Islamic law. 

Saudi Arabia practices one of the world’s strictest interpretations of Sunni Islam, and the kingdom’s religious establishment have long exercised extensive political sway. 

But under the leadership of King Salman and his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi monarchy is pushing to relax social rules as part of an ambitious program focused on opening up the oil-dependent economy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-lifts-ban-on-women-driving-1506455054

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Great news, it's a small step toward progress. I hope they follow through with this and it's actually implemented by June 2018. I'm a little worried it will be challenged by political or religious groups.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

49 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Progress!

By 
Margherita Stancati

Updated Sept. 26, 2017 3:49 p.m. ET

RIYADH—Saudi Arabia on Tuesday lifted the ban on women driving, removing a restriction that had become a symbol of women’s oppression in the deeply conservative kingdom.

The announcement, made by King Salman through a royal decree, says women will be officially allowed to obtain driving licenses in Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women weren’t allowed to drive. 

The decree will go into effect in June next year, after a government committee will study how to begin allowing women onto the roads driving their own vehicles.

“We refer to the negative consequences of not allowing women to drive, and the positive aspects of allowing them to do so, taking into consideration the necessary Shari’ah regulations and compliance with them,” King Salman said in the decree, referring to Islamic law. 

Saudi Arabia practices one of the world’s strictest interpretations of Sunni Islam, and the kingdom’s religious establishment have long exercised extensive political sway. 

But under the leadership of King Salman and his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi monarchy is pushing to relax social rules as part of an ambitious program focused on opening up the oil-dependent economy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-lifts-ban-on-women-driving-1506455054

Um....give them keys and let them sit in the driver's seat?

It's funny they need a committee for that. Are they planning to make like special lanes for women or something?

10 minutes ago, bcking said:

It's funny they need a committee for that. Are they planning to make like special lanes for women or something?

No, this has been on the picture for awhile now for the KSA, it is because ALL the other Muslim countries around it allow women to drive. So there are Saudi women who live in Dubai who have gone back on vacation or whatever and actually got into trouble for driving. 

I really think the one pushing this is Crown Prince Salman. He is the De Facto ruler of the Kingdom now because he is first in line to rule after his father the King steps down(which supposedly be sometime later this year or next), and he is seen to be a very Moderate person. He is the one trying to bring KSA into the 21st Century. So kudos to them for finally doing this. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

2 hours ago, bcking said:

That is a great idea. And sammich making rest stops

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

No, this has been on the picture for awhile now for the KSA, it is because ALL the other Muslim countries around it allow women to drive. So there are Saudi women who live in Dubai who have gone back on vacation or whatever and actually got into trouble for driving. 

I really think the one pushing this is Crown Prince Salman. He is the De Facto ruler of the Kingdom now because he is first in line to rule after his father the King steps down(which supposedly be sometime later this year or next), and he is seen to be a very Moderate person. He is the one trying to bring KSA into the 21st Century. So kudos to them for finally doing this. 

I was just poking fun at the fact that they seem to think it is going to be really complicated to allow women to drive and they need a committee to plan it out.

I absolutely support them making these steps. My wife has been offered jobs with Aramco on a few occassions but would never work with them because of the working environement, especially when travelling to Saudi Arabia. This is a step in the right direction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Question, from pure curiosity:  will the women be permitted or required to lift their veils for a driver's license photo, or prohibited from doing so?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
53 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Question, from pure curiosity:  will the women be permitted or required to lift their veils for a driver's license photo, or prohibited from doing so?

I assume the male family member with them would be responsible?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

The headline writer should have taken a cue from you on this one.  The headline should have read "Saudi Arabia Lifts Veil on Women Driving"

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

This is a common misconception actually that women in Saudia Arabia have to wear veils/nijab when in fact they don't. The women in the Kingdom of Saudia Arabia have to wear a Hijab/Khimar and a Abaya to go out in public. This includes non-Muslims as well and this order is strictly enforced by the religious police in the country. 

The only ones wearing a nijab which is a full face veil either covering the eyes or leaving slots for the eyes adhere to the more traditional or extreme form of Islam. That means either they themselves adhere to it or their family does, in which means they have to as well. 

Headwear

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Interesting indeed.

And so female tourists are also subject to this dress code?

The picture raises a new question:  How do they see out of a burqa?

Sidebar (lifelong) question:  I've always wondered how English sheepdogs can see.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Interesting indeed.

And so female tourists are also subject to this dress code?

The picture raises a new question:  How do they see out of a burqa?

Sidebar (lifelong) question:  I've always wondered how English sheepdogs can see.

Good questions TBone.

Yes, female tourists are subject to this dress code as well in Saudi Arabia, while in the surrounding Muslim countries(ie UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain) there is no mandatory dress, but tourists and Western women are advised to wear "Modest Clothes". 

The burqa is primarily a Central Asian custom which if you notice there is like a mesh opening for them to see out and you can't really the face inside. While the full face nijab is kind of see through like you can see out but you can't see in, it's like a mesh as well. The women wearing a nijab you see in restaurants have to face toward the wall while eating because they have to lift up the veil to get the food/drink in the mouth.

Contrary to common misconception it is not a Islamic requirement to wear a nijab or burka at all. But this is still open to debate between Moderates and Conservative Islamic sects that is debated today, but it is a requirement to wear a hijab.