Jump to content

Living on Foreign military bases

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



so im being transferred to a British military base. Just so happens my fiancée is British. Would he be able to work since he’s in his home country? Would us living on base count as him living in the US for his greencard and citizenship? Would it count for me to get my permanent residence card over there? If we lived off post, but I worked on post would the same information still apply. 


Thank you kindly

Met at University in Scotland - August 2013

Tiae left Scotland - October 2014

Jonathan visited Tiae in the States - August 2015, August 2016, April 2017

Jonathan proposed - February 2016

Filed I-129f - March 2017

NOA1 - April 3, 2017

NOA2 - August 10, 2017

NVC Rec'd - August 28, 2017

NVC # rec'd - August 29, 2017

Left NVC - August 31, 2017

Consulate Rec'd - September 5, 2017

Package 3 Received - September 5, 2017

Package 3 Response - September 5, 2017

Medical Appt - September 15, 2017

Interview - September 25, 2017

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Are you married? Only married couples can pcs together. 

2. The spouse name has to be on the military orders. Then the time spend overseas "counts" for the citizenship. The foreign spouse can live abroad with the green card as long as they are on orders. 

3. Of course the spouse needs to have a green card first. You didn't really provide any info. 

4. ......of course he can work in Britain if he's British .

5. As for your situation. Dunno. Ask the lawyer that should be present on post. But I'm going to say no - since you're a foreign military I doubt you can get a permanent resident card in the country you're stationed in. 


29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 


03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  


24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.