Amica Nostra

Opinion: Puerto Rico Is American. We Can’t Ignore It Now.

225 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, CaliCat said:

The two are connected, because a real president would have focused on the real issue, which was the PR situation, not free speech at a football game. 

A real President would not have eaten, slept or gone to the bathroom during the crisis.  Jesus 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

A real President would not have eaten, slept or gone to the bathroom during the crisis.  Jesus 

Is that the only thing he does when visiting his golf resorts?

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Nearly two dozen posts have been removed for derailing the thread.  Please return to the topic.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

Hadn't seen this part of his visit.

The part where he compared Puerto Rico to a "real" disaster, and asked someone what their "death count" was and commented on how good it was....that was interesting.

Seriously he is the most Presidential when he just does nothing. A visit like this was SOOOO easy to make work, but instead he has to act like a insensitive disrespectful jerk with a superiority complex.

23 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Which had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on in PR regardless of how hard the MDL tries to connect the two.

They are connected, because of Trump.

They would not have been connected at all if Trump didn't make the free speech at a football game an issue he felt worthy of his time.

He chose to do that, so of course we are going to connect them. A real President would have recognized that there were bigger, more important things going on and he needed to focus his attention elsewhere. Or at the very least not call attention to an unrelated, insignificant issue while there was more important work to be done.

The sad fact of the matter is though even if he DID focus on Puerto Rico in the first place, all evidence shows that he still would have bunged it up. He can't relate to people. He can't show actual sympathy. Even on his trip to Puerto Rico he acted like an insensitive narcissitic donkey's butt. 

Sympathy and Support 101 - Don't compare people's suffering to "real tragedies" (Or did he say disaster? I forget) of the past. We shouldn't have to say that, but that's where we are with our President now.

Edited by bcking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

They are connected, because of Trump.

They would not have been connected at all if Trump didn't make the free speech at a football game an issue he felt worthy of his time.

He chose to do that, so of course we are going to connect them. A real President would have recognized that there were bigger, more important things going on and he needed to focus his attention elsewhere. Or at the very least not call attention to an unrelated, insignificant issue while there was more important work to be done.

The sad fact of the matter is though even if he DID focus on Puerto Rico in the first place, all evidence shows that he still would have bunged it up. He can't relate to people. He can't show actual sympathy. Even on his trip to Puerto Rico he acted like an insensitive narcissitic donkey's butt. 

Sympathy and Support 101 - Don't compare people's suffering to "real tragedies" of the past. We shouldn't have to say that, but that's where we are with our President now.

They are connected because the left wing media connected them.  Trump's opinion regarding the NFL players and how they were appearing to disrespect the flag, the country, the military and police officers had nothing to do with the efforts ongoing in PR.  I guess I can multi-task when it comes to juggling issues, maybe the MDL media could do the same thing.

As to screwing up PR, how did he, FMEA, the Military, or anyone else do this.  The Governor of PR was praising the preparations and response until the liberal press decided they needed to make this into a negative narrative (read Katrina) which is exactly what they did.  Personally, I could not care less what Trump was doing as long as help was coming, and I will not defend him for his idiotic tweets, but to suggest that the first responders and military that arrived as soon as it was safe are not doing their job, or contributing to the relief effort and just bungling around while people are starving is just wrong.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

They are connected because the left wing media connected them.  Trump's opinion regarding the NFL players and how they were appearing to disrespect the flag, the country, the military and police officers had nothing to do with the efforts ongoing in PR.  I guess I can multi-task when it comes to juggling issues, maybe the MDL media could do the same thing.

As to screwing up PR, how did he, FMEA, the Military, or anyone else do this.  The Governor of PR was praising the preparations and response until the liberal press decided they needed to make this into a negative narrative (read Katrina) which is exactly what they did.  Personally, I could not care less what Trump was doing as long as help was coming, and I will not defend him for his idiotic tweets, but to suggest that the first responders and military that arrived as soon as it was safe are not doing their job, or contributing to the relief effort and just bungling around while people are starving is just wrong.

When I say Trump screwed it up I'm not talking about the actual support organised. I know others may be talking about that.

I'm talking specifically about how the President discusses the disaster and how he lends support through his own personal actions and voice. He has proven consistently he is fairly incompetent at that.

I can't imagine anyone in a disaster feeling better about themselves after their President compared their situation to "real disasters".

He is truly tone deaf when it comes to sympathy and support.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
4 minutes ago, bcking said:

When I say Trump screwed it up I'm not talking about the actual support organised. I know others may be talking about that.

I'm talking specifically about how the President discusses the disaster and how he lends support through his own personal actions and voice. He has proven consistently he is fairly incompetent at that.

I can't imagine anyone in a disaster feeling better about themselves after their President compared their situation to "real disasters".

He is truly tone deaf when it comes to sympathy and support.

I know when I was on the fire department, I did not need the words or actions of the mayor, or city manager to do my job that I was sent to do.  That person did their job by putting me and my colleagues in place and equipping us for our job. 

4 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I know when I was on the fire department, I did not need the words or actions of the mayor, or city manager to do my job that I was sent to do.  That person did their job by putting me and my colleagues in place and equipping us for our job. 

I completely agree. His words don't necessarily impact the actions of the relief efforts.

However the President has to play multiple roles. One role may be more "actionable", including helping to support coordination for relief efforts. However, an equally important role of the President is as a representative for the government, as our "national voice". A President isn't the one really responsible for the actual support, so he needs to offer his voice and his encouragement.

Trump fails to do that. You can't watch the event in Puerto Rico and say that he did a good job expressing sympathy and support. He compared Puerto Rico to the "real disaster" of Katrina. You just don't do that. He talks about a "death count" as if it's just some raw number instead of actual lives that are lost. It doesn't matter if it is 10, 50 or 1,000. You treat them with respect and dignity and, putting politics aside, I don't think anyone could watch the videos of him in Puerto Rico and say that he did that.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, bcking said:

I completely agree. His words don't necessarily impact the actions of the relief efforts.

However the President has to play multiple roles. One role may be more "actionable", including helping to support coordination for relief efforts. However, an equally important role of the President is as a representative for the government, as our "national voice". A President isn't the one really responsible for the actual support, so he needs to offer his voice and his encouragement.

Trump fails to do that. You can't watch the event in Puerto Rico and say that he did a good job expressing sympathy and support. He compared Puerto Rico to the "real disaster" of Katrina. You just don't do that. He talks about a "death count" as if it's just some raw number instead of actual lives that are lost. It doesn't matter if it is 10, 50 or 1,000. You treat them with respect and dignity and, putting politics aside, I don't think anyone could watch the videos of him in Puerto Rico and say that he did that.

And you believe that by making some inane tweet, he was completely focused on the NFL.  I get it, how long does it take to write a tweet?  Again, I think twitter is the most childish thing one can use.

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

And you believe that by making some inane tweet, he was completely focused on the NFL.  I get it, how long does it take to write a tweet?  Again, I think twitter is the most childish thing one can use.

As the public we only get to see what he chooses to make public about what he is "focused on".

He spoke about it at a rally, he then sent a series of tweets. Was he focused on other things? Perhaps, but he made the choice to display to the public his thoughts on one particular issue over another one.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, bcking said:

As the public we only get to see what he chooses to make public about what he is "focused on".

He spoke about it at a rally, he then sent a series of tweets. Was he focused on other things? Perhaps, but he made the choice to display to the public his thoughts on one particular issue over another one.

And as a member of the public, I figure he probably has the capacity to focus on more than one thing.  It doesn't negate the fact that the twitter item and the PR efforts are only connected in the minds of the people that hate or do not like Trump and will not give him any credit regardless of success.

5 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

And as a member of the public, I figure he probably has the capacity to focus on more than one thing.  It doesn't negate the fact that the twitter item and the PR efforts are only connected in the minds of the people that hate or do not like Trump and will not give him any credit regardless of success.

It seems like PR efforts (him personally, again not the relief workers), twitter and what he says in public are all only in the minds of people who are actually willing to talk about his role as a representative of our country and how he is failing miserably at it.

Please please please watch him the videos of him in Puerto Rico in front of the military plane and say he acted appropriately. It was just uncomfortable to watch him. He was in front of people who were organising relief for an entire island without power and almost everyone without access to drinkable water and he wants to compare them to Katrina and say "Hey look you guys have it pretty good, what's your death count again?". There is no excuse for that. Defending it requires a level of insensitivity on par with our President.

He is a poor representative for our nation. Well either that or he truly does represent our nation and we are just all uncaring, unsympathetic, and tone deaf. 

Edited by bcking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

They are connected because at the same time he should have been doing his job, he was rat-holing on the less urgent NFL issue.  

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg