Abdullah T

Serious situation and need every advice possible please

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, abumiqdad said:

a lot of countries where the majority of the citizens/residents are Muslims/follower of Islam, recognize polygamous marriage, up to 4 wives at the same time. 

And the marriages are considered legal and binding (with inheritance). I believe the late King Abdullah of Saudi were married to 4 wives at the time of his departure. So i wonder how USA deals with that...

The US does not recognize any wife except the first.  However, if you have two wives and divorce the first, the second is still your one and only legal wife.  If you marry an American under these circumstances, your visa will be denied, the petition returned to USCIS and they will ultimately revoke the approval of the petition based on the fact you were not free to marry.  You've actually committed the crime of "bigamy", for which, in your case, the consequence is you and your American have no avenue to be together in the USA, ever.  This kind of lie is very likely to carry with it a lifetime ban from US entry.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, abumiqdad said:

a lot of countries where the majority of the citizens/residents are Muslims/follower of Islam, recognize polygamous marriage, up to 4 wives at the same time. 

And the marriages are considered legal and binding (with inheritance). I believe the late King Abdullah of Saudi were married to 4 wives at the time of his departure. So i wonder how USA deals with that...

In the US, and for immigration purposes, USCIS does not recognize polygamous marriages.

"However, if a marriage is valid in the country where celebrated but considered offensive to public policy of the United States, it will not be recognized as valid for immigration purposes. Plural marriages fall within this category."    

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-3481/0-0-0-4484.html            

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

55 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The US does not recognize any wife except the first.  However, if you have two wives and divorce the first, the second is still your one and only legal wife.  If you marry an American under these circumstances, your visa will be denied, the petition returned to USCIS and they will ultimately revoke the approval of the petition based on the fact you were not free to marry.  You've actually committed the crime of "bigamy", for which, in your case, the consequence is you and your American have no avenue to be together in the USA, ever.  This kind of lie is very likely to carry with it a lifetime ban from US entry.

there is no bigamy in my case, my daughter is from an ex-wife and my petitioner is my American and only wife

41 minutes ago, Going through said:

In the US, and for immigration purposes, USCIS does not recognize polygamous marriages.

"However, if a marriage is valid in the country where celebrated but considered offensive to public policy of the United States, it will not be recognized as valid for immigration purposes. Plural marriages fall within this category."    

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-3481/0-0-0-4484.html            

there is no bigamy in my case, my daughter is from an ex-wife and my petitioner is my American and only wife

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, Abdullah T said:

It's your second wife, to whom you are still married, right?  Or am I confused?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, Abdullah T said:

I didn't say there was,  I was responding to someone else who asked how US law looks at polygamous marriages. :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Other Timeline
2 minutes ago, Abdullah T said:

then you have to get a lawyer to explain to USCIS why you failed to disclose that fact you had a child from previous marriage.

Just now, pushbrk said:

Just now, pushbrk said:

yes

Timeline
7 minutes ago, abumiqdad said:

then you have to get a lawyer to explain to USCIS why you failed to disclose that fact you had a child from previous marriage.

A lawyer, even if present during the interview, is not allowed to answer any questions or explain anything on the applicant's behalf during the interview.   They can only sit there silently for moral support, really.  And, really, how would a lawyer explain away the applicant signing a document swearing it's the truth when it wasn't?

The applicant would have to answer the IO's questions themselves as to the failure to disclose the child on the application or any other red flag that appears.  However, I suppose the lawyer could counsel the OP beforehand on *how* to answer certain questions when it arises during the interview.  OP's interview is sometime this week, I believe?

Edited by Going through

22 hours ago, Abdullah T said:

Dears,

I have a serious situation and need every advice possible please

My wife petitioned for me IR1 visa and the case was approved by both USCIS and NVC this process was done through a law office in the states. My interview is after one week from now

I have a daughter from a second previous marriage that was terminated a year and a half ago that I didn’t list on any of my paperwork based on the advice of my lawyer he told I can petition for her after I finish my case

All along the process, I was not feeling comfortable at all about not listing my daughter on my paperwork, I decided to contact another lawyer who’s a relative of my good friend and he told me I was misled by the first layer and I should have listed her from the very beginning in all my paperwork.

He told me that since I am at the interview stage the only way to correct this mistake is to bring it up to the counselor during my interview which I decided to do so

My questions are:

1.       What do you think will happen? Would they understand my situation and allow me to do the corrections on my DS-260? Can they actually unlock it?

2.       If they do so, what’s the process? and how long does it take?

3.       Would they withdraw my application so I can apply again from the beginning with the corrections?

God is my witness this was a honest mistake and I was totally mislead by my first lawyer, he also did other mistakes during the process including my name and my nationality

Looking forward for your kind advice

Thank you

That one word created a lot the confusion, especially considering you are from a country that does allow "second" marriages.

Just for clarity though, did you list your previous marriage on the forms?  

Edited by jayjayj

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

22 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

That one word created a lot the confusion, especially considering you are from a country that does allow "second" marriages.

Just for clarity though, did you list your previous marriage on the forms?  

My apologies about the misunderstanding 

I didn’t list the previous marriage and my daughter on the forms 

3 minutes ago, Abdullah T said:

Oh, I was hoping you were not going to say that.  Knowingly omitting information (previous marriage) on immigration forms is considered fraud and normally results in a lifetime ban.  You're about to get a lot of replies to this thread.

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Abdullah T said:

Why not?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Makes no sense, I find it hard to believe any lawyer would tell you to lie about such basic information, what else did the lawyer tell you to lie about?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So just to make things clear:

1) First marriage ended with a divorce,

2) Second marriage (+ child) also ended with a divorce,

3) Third marriage is now with an American citizen.

However, you only declared your 1st marriage and divorce, but not your 2nd marriage with child and divorce.

~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.