Abdullah T

Serious situation and need every advice possible please

60 posts in this topic

Dears,

I have a serious situation and need every advice possible please

My wife petitioned for me IR1 visa and the case was approved by both USCIS and NVC this process was done through a law office in the states. My interview is after one week from now

I have a daughter from a second marriage that was terminated a year and a half ago that I didn’t list on any of my paperwork based on the advice of my lawyer he told I can petition for her after I finish my case

All along the process, I was not feeling comfortable at all about not listing my daughter on my paperwork, I decided to contact another lawyer who’s a relative of my good friend and he told me I was misled by the first layer and I should have listed her from the very beginning in all my paperwork.

He told me that since I am at the interview stage the only way to correct this mistake is to bring it up to the counselor during my interview which I decided to do so

My questions are:

1.       What do you think will happen? Would they understand my situation and allow me to do the corrections on my DS-260? Can they actually unlock it?

2.       If they do so, what’s the process? and how long does it take?

3.       Would they withdraw my application so I can apply again from the beginning with the corrections?

God is my witness this was a honest mistake and I was totally mislead by my first lawyer, he also did other mistakes during the process including my name and my nationality

Looking forward for your kind advice

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Do u have any correspondence from 1st attorney to show his bad advice?

you can not just say it is a mistake when they say answer all questions truthfully and then the signature page actually is an oath that all questions are correct (to best informaiton)

but this is your 3rd marriage? that could also be an issue

2 or more divorces are

not to alarm u but all u can do at this point is to go to interview as it is in 2 weeks and tell what happened

the daughter should have been listed and applied for at the same time

and if u r successful at this interview and get the visa , u will need to do DNA and get release from her mother to bring her

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yes you were misled, you should have had mentioned about kid since day 1 of your process. There would be two forms to be sent by your wife - one for u and another for ur daughter, that way both of u would get Visa / GC. Don't tell me that you didn't even mention about the divorce or earlier wife? 

1.       What do you think will happen? Would they understand my situation and allow me to do the corrections on my DS-260? Can they actually unlock it?

Your wife have to start two petition 

The visa for you is Cr1 or IR1 and for your kid is cr2 or IR2. Processing time is same as CR1

3.       Would they withdraw my application so I can apply again from the beginning with the corrections?

from my pov... go for interview.. explain the mistake.. they will deny ur visa and send it back to USCIS.. and USCIS will send a letter to your wife to either revoke or proceed with the visa.. while all this file for ur daughter.. and when ur file is again sent back to Embassy file the corrected DS260. This was u will save on ur visa fee.  

11 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

Do u have any correspondence from 1st attorney to show his bad advice?

you can not just say it is a mistake when they say answer all questions truthfully and then the signature page actually is an oath that all questions are correct (to best informaiton)

but this is your 3rd marriage? that could also be an issue

2 or more divorces are

not to alarm u but all u can do at this point is to go to interview as it is in 2 weeks and tell what happened

the daughter should have been listed and applied for at the same time

and if u r successful at this interview and get the visa , u will need to do DNA and get release from her mother to bring her

thank you for your reply, yes i have correspondence about the mistakes my lawyer did on my name and nationality

i will bring everything up in the interview

11 minutes ago, Bunny&Ninja said:

Yes you were misled, you should have had mentioned about kid since day 1 of your process. There would be two forms to be sent by your wife - one for u and another for ur daughter, that way both of u would get Visa / GC. Don't tell me that you didn't even mention about the divorce or earlier wife? 

thank you for your reply and help, no i did not mention about this divorce because my lawyer said the US law doesn't recognize second marriages in the first place 

Your wife have to start two petition 

The visa for you is Cr1 or IR1 and for your kid is cr2 or IR2. Processing time is same as CR1

from my pov... go for interview.. explain the mistake.. they will deny ur visa and send it back to USCIS.. and USCIS will send a letter to your wife to either revoke or proceed with the visa.. while all this file for ur daughter.. and when ur file is again sent back to Embassy file the corrected DS260. This was u will save on ur visa fee.  

when they send the case back to USCIS should she revoke the visa? or proceed? 

my wife is planing to apply for her as a step daughter 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Oh, My Friend. U are seriously screwed. I do not have any knowledge to help you.

Try finding senior members like Ryan, Pushbark, Darnell and others. They have been here for way long time and supported many people and they may have some knowledge.

Your visa is not yet approved or stamped.  You still have hope.  Take new forms filled up to the interview and explain.  They will advise.

Daughter can always be petitioned later depending on age.  Just ensure she is mentioned wherver you are asked about children.  You may have misunderstood your lawyer.

it may or may not mean delays in yours but better now then later

Of course my assumption is you have mentioned all other marriages, divorces accurately and were not practicing bigamy.

Edited by Auds

1 hour ago, Abdullah T said:

Dears,

I have a serious situation and need every advice possible please

My wife petitioned for me IR1 visa and the case was approved by both USCIS and NVC this process was done through a law office in the states. My interview is after one week from now

I have a daughter from a second marriage that was terminated a year and a half ago that I didn’t list on any of my paperwork based on the advice of my lawyer he told I can petition for her after I finish my case

All along the process, I was not feeling comfortable at all about not listing my daughter on my paperwork, I decided to contact another lawyer who’s a relative of my good friend and he told me I was misled by the first layer and I should have listed her from the very beginning in all my paperwork.

He told me that since I am at the interview stage the only way to correct this mistake is to bring it up to the counselor during my interview which I decided to do so

My questions are:

God is my witness this was a honest mistake and I was totally mislead by my first lawyer, he also did other mistakes during the process including my name and my nationality

Looking forward for your kind advice

Thank you

When you say "marriage was terminated"  - are you actually divorced?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you list all your marriages and divorces?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Regardless of what the lawyer said, the forms are pretty clear with a yes or no answer to the question; do you have children.

So on the I-130 where it asks about the beneficiary’s family, did your wife just leave it blank or did she write no or not applicable?

Then on the DS-260, where it asks you if you have children, you answered no? It doesn’t ask whether or not the child/children are immigrating but simply if you have children.

You sign the forms under penalty of perjury. I even think the I-130 says you can get up to five years in prison for falsifying or concealing information. 

Which embassy are you going through? Someone like the US Embassy in Germany, might be a little more understanding than say a US Embassy in a MENA country.

I don’t know, I mean I think you’re getting awfully close to misrepresentation.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Gorkhali said:

Oh, My Friend. U are seriously screwed. I do not have any knowledge to help you.

Try finding senior members like Ryan, Pushbark, Darnell and others. They have been here for way long time and supported many people and they may have some knowledge.

Pushbrk says, needs to visit the Schitt's Creek Paddle Company.  The problem is, it is also located in the USA.  The petitioner should have been adult enough to know not to lie.  So should the lawyer.  You didn't need to petition for the daughter now, but how would you petition for a daughter you already swore an oath didn't exist during your own process.  Crazy stuff.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Abdullah T said:

thank you for your reply, yes i have correspondence about the mistakes my lawyer did on my name and nationality

i will bring everything up in the interview

They won't care about what your lawyer said or that he mislead you.  When you signed the form, you swore that everything listed was accurate and full information---it wasn't.  That's on you, not your previous lawyer.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Agreed...you're in a bad situation now: marriage/divorce never mentioned, children never mentioned, etc. If you can get a new attorney to look at the case, you should so that. This is going to take a lot of explaining to the CO (and prayers).

Immigration does recognize multiple spouses in some circumstances (just only the first can be eligible for immigration benefits).

40 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Pushbrk says, needs to visit the Schitt's Creek Paddle Company.  The problem is, it is also located in the USA.

:rofl:

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.