Megmar0616

Visa/esta.. marry.. aos.. ANYONE?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Only place I have seen people have issue with those adjusting has been on VJ.

If there is an official source focussing on this being a mega issue I have not seen it.

Outside of people who have an interest in immigration subjects I doubt anyone has ever heard of AoS

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

37 minutes ago, MacUK said:

Outside of people who have an interest in immigration subjects I doubt anyone has ever heard of AoS

I totally agree with this. I have spoken with people who are hardcore on one side or the other but a vast majority of them have almost no knowledge of actually immigration, esta/vwp, or AOS. It's all about talking points to them and that goes for both sides. 

6 hours ago, Megmar0616 said:

I am looking for anyone who is in my situation.. came here on esta/some sort of temporary visa, visited boyfriend/ girlfriend/ fiancé, got married and then adjusted status. 

I posted about this 'new rule' trump is apparently bringing in, and with the replies it seems 95% of the people agree with it and are against this idea of adjusting status.

i am just looking for people who have successfully adjusted status and have any advice? 

-Bearing in mind I KNEW my partner before arriving, arrived with the intention of staying 2 weeks, extended, and got married.. at first it seemed that this was normal but now I'm thinking otherwise with the amount of negative feedback and assumptions that it was all planned and out of the ordinary for people's circumstances to change in a short space of time like my husband and I. I Didn't know it was such a crime for two people who are GENUINELY in love to actually get married whenever THEY WANT without planning ahead for 3 / 4 /5years. - 

Anyway, the article I posted suggested trump was against people coming for other reasons such as work etc, falling in loving, and getting married straight away. Suggesting they had the intent to get married all along for immigration purposes. At POE intent wasn't even questioned when I explained that I was visiting my family and boyfriend. 

any nice/ positive AOS stories would be much appreciated :) thank you. 

You will find alot of stories on here about positive AOS from either a tourist, esta, or vwp. But you keep posting about the same topic and just move a couple words around irritates people. I told you before on your other post there is no "NEW RULE"  on immigration yet. It has to go through Congress and be voted. So until that happens THERE IS NO NEW RULE. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, Megmar0616 said:

At first it seemed that this was normal but now I'm thinking otherwise with the amount of negative feedback and assumptions that it was all planned and out of the ordinary for people's circumstances to change in a short space of time like my husband and I. 

Didn't know it was such a crime for two people who are GENUINELY in love to actually get married whenever THEY WANT without planning ahead for 3 / 4 /5years. - 

Well I think a lot of people find it hard to believe that you can just decide to move halfway around the world with no planning. Unless someone’s 18 and living with the parents, most people have a home, furniture, job, bank account, bills, maybe a car etc etc and it takes awhile to get your affairs in order before moving to another country. 

You can get married whenever you want to. What upsets people is when you come on a non-immigrant visa or ESTA and then adjust status. Your actions have consequences for other people. When people like you enter the US on an ESTA, for example, and then stay and adjust, it makes it harder for other people who are truly only visiting family on the ESTA, as CBP will then worry that they’re coming to adjust too. 

I don’t know where you get the 3, 4, 5 years from??? A fiancé visa takes about six months and a spousal visa takes about 10 to 12 months. And you can marry all you want while visiting on the ESTA.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
2 hours ago, mallafri76 said:

Your actions have consequences for other people. When people like you enter the US on an ESTA, for example, and then stay and adjust, it makes it harder for other people who are truly only visiting family on the ESTA, as CBP will then worry that they’re coming to adjust too. 

Really? Link? evidence of the same?

You and others might not like the way it has panned out for her but if she did not enter with the intent of AOS , then as Boiler points out, this is an "option" as laid out by current immigration laws. None of us should therefore predujice the OP based on our own circumstances. If she broke the law then I'm sure the USCIS will deal with it...public flayings went out of fashion around 16 hundred and something but I don't have a link nor do I have evidence of the same.

i think the OP got what they "needed" or as some might say "deserved"  from this thread. Maybe smart to close it off...nothing personal.

Edited by csk2b1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread Locked to further discussion. The OP has closed their account.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.