Zeebot9

Changing address and other questions (merged)

19 posts in this topic

Me and my wife are currently waiting for an I-130 to be approved. We applied for it in New Zealand where we were living and I am a citizen. Her visa expired and she has now moved back to the US. I have moved to Australia to be closer with family before I move. She has tried to change our address but the only option we can find is to change from and American address to an American address. We can not change from an international address to an american or to another international address. We have emailed NSCFollowup.NCSC@uscis.dhs.gov to update them but have had no response. What should we do?

Also when I have my interview will it be in New Zealand because that's where we first applied? Is it possible to change it to Australia? 

Will I need to provide a medical for the interview? What does this include?
I have lived in America for 11 months. Will I need a police check for my time there? Will I need one for both NZ and Australia?

Thank you for any answers. 

Edited by Penguin_ie

Me and my wife are currently waiting for an I-130 to be approved. We applied for it in New Zealand where we were living and I am a citizen. Her visa expired and she has now moved back to the US. I have moved to Australia to be closer with family before I move. She has tried to change our address but the only option we can find is to change from and American address to an American address. We can not change from an international address to an american or to another international address. We have emailed NSCFollowup.NCSC@uscis.dhs.gov to update them but have had no response. What should we do?

Also when I have my interview will it be in New Zealand because that's where we first applied? Is it possible to change it to Australia? 

I have lived in America for 11 months. Will I need a police check for my time there? Will I need one for both NZ and Australia?

No offence but there's no need to spam the forum with the same post. It will be moved to the appropriate sub forum by a mod if needs be. It's bedtime in the US so it's much slower to get a response at this hour. You'll need to be patient and wait.

On police check, refer to this page https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html and scroll down to Police Certificates tab.

As for the other questions, let's wait for the more knowledgeable members to provide you with appropriate responses.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Not sure about changing your address to Australia, but yes I believe you will need a police check for your time in America (and every country you have lived in for 6 months or more), and you will need to have a medical done. The police checks come after your I-130 is approved and you move onto the next stage, which is submitting a bunch of documents to the National Visa Centre. The medical is usually done a few weeks before the interview at the US Consulate, and will have to be done by a doctor approved by the consulate. They will typically provide you a list of approved doctors closer to the time. 

The medical includes a blood/urine test, a physical/mental examination, a chest x-ray, and potentially some vaccinations if required.

For more info, be sure to check out the IR1/CR1 Section of the Forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-amp-procedures/ 

Edited by mriggs

1 hour ago, KULtoATL said:

No offence but there's no need to spam the forum with the same post. It will be moved to the appropriate sub forum by a mod if needs be. It's bedtime in the US so it's much slower to get a response at this hour. You'll need to be patient and wait.

On police check, refer to this page https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html and scroll down to Police Certificates tab.

As for the other questions, let's wait for the more knowledgeable members to provide you with appropriate responses.

I had a post up for a few days with no response so thought it was in the wrong place. I've posted in multiple places to get a better response, which has happened. If a mod wants to move it to somewhere they are welcome to but to me it feels like it fits in each of these forums. I didn't post in ones that I didn't think it was relevant. 

Thank you for the post about police certificates. do you know if "  Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more" Is this 12 continuous months? I lived in America for 11 months, left for a year. Came back for 2, left for a year and then come back for 3. Would I need one for Amierca?

Again thank you for your response I appreciate the help.

13 minutes ago, mriggs said:

Not sure about changing your address to Australia, but yes I believe you will need a police check for your time in America (and every country you have lived in for 6 months or more), and you will need to have a medical done. The police checks come after your I-130 is approved and you move onto the next stage, which is submitting a bunch of documents to the National Visa Centre. The medical is usually done a few weeks before the interview at the US Consulate, and will have to be done by a doctor approved by the consulate. They will typically provide you a list of approved doctors closer to the time. 

The medical includes a blood/urine test, a physical/mental examination, a chest x-ray, and potentially some vaccinations if required.

For more info, be sure to check out the IR1/CR1 Section of the Forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-amp-procedures/ 

Thank you very much. I've had a look at a page regarding the police checks do you know if "  Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more" Is this 12 continuous months? I lived in America for 11 months, left for a year. Came back for 2 months as a visitor, left for a year and then come back for 3 months as a visa. Would I need one for America? For Australia, I have lived here for more than six months but not continuous. few months here, few months there. These have always been to visit family but I Have worked here.

With the medicals what are they looking for? Im healthy and have no diseases but if I did are there things that can stop the visa been approved?

Edited by Zeebot9

9 minutes ago, Zeebot9 said:

Thank you very much. I've had a look at a page regarding the police checks do you know if "  Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more" Is this 12 continuous months? I lived in America for 11 months, left for a year. Came back for 2 months as a visitor, left for a year and then come back for 3 months as a visa. Would I need one for America? For Australia, I have lived here for more than six months but not continuous. few months here, few months there. These have always been to visit family but I Have worked here.

Hmm, I'd always thought it was 6 months, but I could be wrong on that, I may have reached the limit of my knowledge on police checks sorry (other than that the NZ one was a nightmare for me to get, but they've changed the process now). Might be worth posting about the police checks in the IR1 forum, I'm sure theres someone there who has been in a similar situation.

EDIT: Saw you already have. Hopefully someone will pop in with a bit of knowledge.

In regards to the medical, they're going to want to know about any drug use, that can delay the visa. Other than that, things like mental illnesses, surgeries, etc. The main diseases they are looking for are tuberculosis, and some STDs (not HIV though). Here is the FAQ from the travel.state.gov website in regards to medicals. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/medical-exam-faqs.html

Edited by mriggs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** Several threads merged and moved to CR-1 spousal visa forum, as Op is a US citizen petitioning his wife.  Please do not post more than once on an issue; it is considered spamming. ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

6 minutes ago, Penguin_ie said:

****** Several threads merged and moved to CR-1 spousal visa forum, as Op is a US citizen petitioning his wife.  Please do not post more than once on an issue; it is considered spamming. ******

My wife is the US Citizen if this makes any difference. 

42 minutes ago, mriggs said:

Hmm, I'd always thought it was 6 months, but I could be wrong on that, I may have reached the limit of my knowledge on police checks sorry (other than that the NZ one was a nightmare for me to get, but they've changed the process now). Might be worth posting about the police checks in the IR1 forum, I'm sure theres someone there who has been in a similar situation.

EDIT: Saw you already have. Hopefully someone will pop in with a bit of knowledge.

In regards to the medical, they're going to want to know about any drug use, that can delay the visa. Other than that, things like mental illnesses, surgeries, etc. The main diseases they are looking for are tuberculosis, and some STDs (not HIV though). Here is the FAQ from the travel.state.gov website in regards to medicals. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/medical-exam-faqs.html

Thank you. Ive had a look through and it looks like I should be fine. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zeebot9 said:

I've had a look at a page regarding the police checks do you know if "  Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more" Is this 12 continuous months? I lived in America for 11 months, left for a year. Came back for 2 months as a visitor, left for a year and then come back for 3 months as a visa. Would I need one for America? For Australia, I have lived here for more than six months but not continuous. few months here, few months there. These have always been to visit family but I Have worked here.

In some cases, it's 6 months and in some cases it's 12 months. 

For the 11 month period you resided in the US, in my opinion you would be better off getting the police check done since it's so close to an entire year.  Better to have it and not need it, then not have it and then it's asked for and you're scrambling later to submit it in time.

For Australia, from what I understand you would need the police certificate if the 6 months accumulated falls within any continuous 12-month period (note---this is not the same as a 12-month calendar year).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 minutes ago, Going through said:

In some cases, it's 6 months and in some cases it's 12 months. 

For the 11 month period you resided in the US, in my opinion you would be better off getting the police check done since it's so close to an entire year.

For Australia, from what I understand you would need the police certificate if the 6 months accumulated falls within any continuous 12-month period (note---this is not the same as a 12-month calendar year).

When It gets to the point of collecting these is it possible to call and ask them what they want? Surely they must know what they want or else they won't know that i don't have it? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Zeebot9 said:

When It gets to the point of collecting these is it possible to call and ask them what they want? Surely they must know what they want or else they won't know that i don't have it? 

You can certainly call.  Keep in mind, though, that depending upon who you talk to you may just get generic information given to you in an effort to get you off the phone quickly since they probably get tons of calls daily.  

Consider yourself lucky that you lived in two countries where it's relatively easy to get the records from though---and relatively quickly.  That's why I suggest getting the US one at least...I think the turnover is only a few weeks at most.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.