Ban Hammer

After Experiencing British And U.S. Health Care, This Family Says Single-Payer Is Abominable

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting read.  I had no idea the British NHS was the fifth largest employer in the world.  Amazing.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Very enlightening.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
7 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

Well, let's see. I'm a USC married to a Brit and presently a resident in England under a spousal visa which runs through July 2019. As a condition of approval for this extended stay I was required to register with NHS and pay a 500 GBP surcharge - about 800 USD at the time - for all service I received during my stay.  There are no other charges levied. No co-pay. No deductibles. Nada. This includes all medicines for me, since I am over 60. Again, no additional charges. That works out to about $28/month for healthcare that is in every sense comprehensive and, based upon my personal experience, readily and immediately available. My spouse, a British Citizen, pays about 20 GBP a month to participate in NHS. She gets the same services I do except that she must pay 8.5 GBP per prescription for any medicines she is taking - she is under 60.

In States I am a Medicare recipient - single payer for geezers. Medicare is also a paid service for recipients. It varies by year but this year it's running about 120 USD/month. I'm also a Social Security recipient so this amount is deducted from my SS allotment each month. I, like the vast majority of Medicare recipients (and all current wage earners), contributed to it over the course of my working career. It's a little more expensive than NHS and a bit more complicated what with it's various benefit partitions and the separate drug areas that are at additional cost. Too, I know of no Medicare program that covers 100% of the expenses incurred although some come close if you're in a position to take advantage of them. For one VA Medical Services are generally free except for co-pays. VA bills Medicare for the services it renders to Medicare recipients. If. like me, you are eligible to receive VA services it's a way to avoid using Medicare Part D - Drugs. Prescriptions are available through VA at (presently) 8 USD each. There are also now vision and dental benefits available. The other situation I am aware of is Kaiser Permanente Southern California. I lived in Los Angeles prior to moving to UK and was a member of the Kaiser HMO. In SoCal - but not everywhere in CA or other Kaiser Service Areas - there is no member premium for Medicare recipients. There are nominal visit and prescription co-pays that for me averaged about 35 USD/month. I have nothing but good things to say about both the VA and Kaiser services I received.

Based upon my personal experience in my now year here in UK I rate NHS as comparable to any of the services I received through VA, Kaiser, and, over most of my life, the private healthcare system in US. One can find horror stories anywhere, including in the most exclusive medical units in my former neighborhood in Beverly Hills. But the fact is that the more people who are covered by healthcare services the healthier they are. The Brits are a healthy lot and certainly no less so than their American cousins. Seems to me the big difference is that the citizens here are not held financially hostage to the pharmaceutical industry or to private medical practices and health insurers. The cost/benefit profile of NHS  (and, I suspect, nearly all single-payer systems around the globe) is significantly more positive than that of the US private healthcare system.

I'm not certain what we're going to do when we migrate back to US. Our monthly healthcare costs will skyrocket even though the service we receive will not in any manner change. So far as I'm concerned that's a travesty.

I think people don't realize that there aren't many horror stories coming out of the US, because we have a large number of uninsured people who never get to see a doctor, unless they go to the ER. As with many of the social issues in our country, people believe that if you ignore it long enough, the problem will go away.

Great post, by the way!

Timeline
1 hour ago, CaliCat said:

I think people don't realize that there aren't many horror stories coming out of the US, because we have a large number of uninsured people who never get to see a doctor, unless they go to the ER. As with many of the social issues in our country, people believe that if you ignore it long enough, the problem will go away.

Great post, by the way!

So it seems clear, there are horror stories on both sides.

41 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

There always are. Unavoidable. But policy should not be based on horror stories and anecdotal discussion. It should be based upon solid evidence and in this case drawn to benefit the most number of people for what to me are obvious reasons but most certainly because the healthier the populace the better off the world. There is no perfect healthcare system from the standpoint that everyone will always get the best and safest care under all circumstances. Doesn't happen anywhere no matter how hard we try. But we must try. Judged on global standards the US healthcare system does not rank very high and for the richest nation in the world that is simply reprehensible.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

That's why in adopting a single payer system, the US should look at these as well, and look at the healthcare systems in countries like Japan and Sweden. 

12 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

Well, let's see. I'm a USC married to a Brit and presently a resident in England under a spousal visa which runs through July 2019. As a condition of approval for this extended stay I was required to register with NHS and pay a 500 GBP surcharge - about 800 USD at the time - for all service I received during my stay.  There are no other charges levied. No co-pay. No deductibles. Nada. This includes all medicines for me, since I am over 60. Again, no additional charges. That works out to about $28/month for healthcare that is in every sense comprehensive and, based upon my personal experience, readily and immediately available. My spouse, a British Citizen, pays about 20 GBP a month to participate in NHS. She gets the same services I do except that she must pay 8.5 GBP per prescription for any medicines she is taking - she is under 60.

In States I am a Medicare recipient - single payer for geezers. Medicare is also a paid service for recipients. It varies by year but this year it's running about 120 USD/month. I'm also a Social Security recipient so this amount is deducted from my SS allotment each month. I, like the vast majority of Medicare recipients (and all current wage earners), contributed to it over the course of my working career. It's a little more expensive than NHS and a bit more complicated what with it's various benefit partitions and the separate drug areas that are at additional cost. Too, I know of no Medicare program that covers 100% of the expenses incurred although some come close if you're in a position to take advantage of them. For one VA Medical Services are generally free except for co-pays. VA bills Medicare for the services it renders to Medicare recipients. If. like me, you are eligible to receive VA services it's a way to avoid using Medicare Part D - Drugs. Prescriptions are available through VA at (presently) 8 USD each. There are also now vision and dental benefits available. The other situation I am aware of is Kaiser Permanente Southern California. I lived in Los Angeles prior to moving to UK and was a member of the Kaiser HMO. In SoCal - but not everywhere in CA or other Kaiser Service Areas - there is no member premium for Medicare recipients. There are nominal visit and prescription co-pays that for me averaged about 35 USD/month. I have nothing but good things to say about both the VA and Kaiser services I received.

Based upon my personal experience in my now year here in UK I rate NHS as comparable to any of the services I received through VA, Kaiser, and, over most of my life, the private healthcare system in US. One can find horror stories anywhere, including in the most exclusive medical units in my former neighborhood in Beverly Hills. But the fact is that the more people who are covered by healthcare services the healthier they are. The Brits are a healthy lot and certainly no less so than their American cousins. Seems to me the big difference is that the citizens here are not held financially hostage to the pharmaceutical industry or to private medical practices and health insurers. The cost/benefit profile of NHS  (and, I suspect, nearly all single-payer systems around the globe) is significantly more positive than that of the US private healthcare system.

I'm not certain what we're going to do when we migrate back to US. Our monthly healthcare costs will skyrocket even though the service we receive will not in any manner change. So far as I'm concerned that's a travesty.

Wow this sentence is scary

"Based upon my personal experience in my now year here in UK I rate NHS as comparable to any of the services I received through VA'

2 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

There always are. Unavoidable. But policy should not be based on horror stories and anecdotal discussion. It should be based upon solid evidence and in this case drawn to benefit the most number of people for what to me are obvious reasons but most certainly because the healthier the populace the better off the world. There is no perfect healthcare system from the standpoint that everyone will always get the best and safest care under all circumstances. Doesn't happen anywhere no matter how hard we try. But we must try. Judged on global standards the US healthcare system does not rank very high and for the richest nation in the world that is simply reprehensible.

One of the highest GDP spent in the 1st world on healthcare and one of the lowest in outcomes.

Posting so I remember to come back and type a lengthy reply, as someone who has also experienced both.

Lots of BS in that article.... and why did they not have travel insurance?

The NHS is far from perfect, and needs massive reform in many areas, but it is a million times better than the utter disgrace in the US. 

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I always thought NHS was bad, US is worse, so I would chose UK vs US bit would much prefer something decent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Great post, by the way!

Large number of uninsured?  Only 28 million were uninsured last year, vs. 48 million in 2010.  I thought that number was a move in the right direction? That's less than 9% uninsured in the US.

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Large number of uninsured?  Only 28 million were uninsured last year, vs. 48 million in 2010.  I thought that number was a move in the right direction? That's less than 9% uninsured in the US.

It most certainly is a move in the right direction. But we were comparing the US system of healthcare to that provided in UK by the NHS. The UK population is at about 66 million. 100% of those people are covered by comprehensive healthcare that is essentially free. And yes, taxes are higher in UK but not by much. Most of the difference is because of healthcare - and it is a very tangible benefit. In US not only do we have the equivalent of one third the entire population of UK uninsured, many of whom burden our ER services and drive up our hospital costs, but we also the remaining insured members of our society devoting a substantial portion of their income to health insurance which covers only a portion of their expense. It's only recently via the ACA that our situation was ameliorated to a degree but it's still woeful compared to NHS. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

It most certainly is a move in the right direction. But we were comparing the US system of healthcare to that provided in UK by the NHS. The UK population is at about 66 million. 100% of those people are covered by comprehensive healthcare that is essentially free. And yes, taxes are higher in UK but not by much. Most of the difference is because of healthcare - and it is a very tangible benefit. In US not only do we have the equivalent of one third the entire population of UK uninsured, many of whom burden our ER services and drive up our hospital costs, but we also the remaining insured members of our society devoting a substantial portion of their income to health insurance which covers only a portion of their expense. It's only recently via the ACA that our situation was ameliorated to a degree but it's still woeful compared to NHS. 

This is what amazes me, 66 million in the UK and the NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world.  I wonder how large a similar system would be in the US?  Personally, I am fine with socialized medicine in theory, yes, wait times for anything beyond a GP visit may grow exponentially, and we will now have a government agency instead of an insurance carrier make the decision to proceed with care, but I often wonder if it is sustainable economically?  Sure, sustainability shouldn't matter when it comes to people's healthcare, but it is a fact of life that services have to be paid for regardless of the service.  The other thing that interested me about the OP article is the differences in the NHS services depending on one's location.  How does this get reported in the UK?  I am honestly curious if there is any discussion of the variation in the quality of care across the country?  My other question is if the NHS says to an individual that a treatment is not warranted, does the patient have an appeal, or is there a private medical industry they could turn to without having to travel to another country?