Dloniak

General questions about starting petition

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I haven't started my k-1 petition yet.

I'm currently visiting my fiancé now and we decided to attempt this visa.

Some history: I'm from Louisiana, my fiancé is from Cairo Egypt.

He and I have been together going 4 years. We have met once (which is this current time). I have stayed with him and his family for 2 months. We have plenty of phone calls, chats, pictures apart, and now pictures together. I'm worried meeting only once will cause an issue even though we have known each other 5 years and have been in a relationship for 4. I have pictures with his family. He has none with mine because he was denied the tourist visa to meet my family back in Augest 2016.

I have been stressing myself reading and trying to inform myself about the process. 

The questions I have are the following;

1. Do I need to show I have had the %125 poverty level income for a certain amount of time.

The reason I'm asking this is because I recently left my parents home who were abusive (I wasn't allowed to have a job, or a life- I am 24 years old) After I left I had to get a job immediately to have some kind of money flow coming in. But I'm not making enough according to their requirements. When I get home I intend to find a job that meets the requirements and start the K-1 petition. But do I need to have the job for a certain amount of time before applying?

My family member can file the sponsorship too, if that will help me. I understand you can show them property, or assets. I don't have any though- except a car that is paid off. It's only worth around $6,000.

2. Do I need to have a place I'm officially renting?

I'm currently staying with my grandparents as I'm saving money, to buy a home in the future. I have no debts- with this I haven't built credit (also a problem created by my parents). The only bills are my car insurance, cellphone bill, and gas bill for the car.

3. Do you think hiring a company or lawyer will be good for my case seeing as how I haven't been earning the required amount of money for a long period of time, and because I've had hardships trying to meet him more than once?

Some concerns I have are

-Meeting once before I do the petition will be an issue, or reason for a denial.

If anyone has advise I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Read this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Read the I-129F instructions also: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Current fee: $535

G-325A is no longer needed. So skip this form.

1) No. What matters is your current annual expected income regardless of the duration. Prove this with employer letter and paystubs. If your new job doesn't meet the poverty guideline, then get a co-sponsor :)

2) Nop. So long you're domiciled in the US. Your grandparents' address is fine.

3) Nop. Read the guide and USCIS instructions and compile your own. It's not rocket science. Seriously :) I'm the beneficiary and I did all the paperwork.

Please meet a few more times whether in Egypt or a third country BEFORE filing and gather proofs every time. I don't think Egypt is considered a low fraud country nor is the embassy easy. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

In 2016, the embassy in Egypt denied 28.61% of B2 applications. Not the highest on the overall list but still pretty high. 

Any red flags in your relationship? What's the age difference? What's yours and his religion? 

Like this other member (refer thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/646500-marry-on-first-visit/), please don't proceed with just one visit. You guys will very likely have a rough time trying to prove a bonafide relationship. Work towards building a solid petition (doesn't matter fiance or spousal) instead of rushing and risk getting rejected.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You say you're 24 so prob not a huge age dufferencr, it's also good that you're there for several months. Are you Muslim?  I would still suggest at least one more visit if not 2 before filing. It's better to wait and get approved than file too quickly only to have long AP and visa sent back (our mistake)  people who've had fiance/husband from Egypt can help you better. 

If you intend to visit again in 6 months that also gives you more time to establish a domicile (though staying with a family member is fine) and strengthen your relationship and show a more secure financial responsibility. 

The consulate doesn't care how many years you talked, the FaceTime and proof of relationship is more important. Save receipts from trips, even if just train receipts or touristy places. Take lots of photos with family and friends and stay away from any activities that could be mistaken for wedding celebration. 

Timeline

Ok, thank you all so much!

I will try to visit twice more before filing, which will make 1 two month visit, and 2 other shorter visits. And I will keep all the proof and receipts.

The ages are 24, he is 27. He is Muslim, and I am nothing specific. Will this affect anything?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My situation was very similar to yours, down to being the same ages as you both and him being Muslim and me not being of a particular faith. I also had just started a full time job and had about 1 year's worth of qualifying income salary at the time of filing the K1 visa. I also wasn't living in my own place at the time of filing, and it's definitely not a requirement to be renting or owning an apartment or house to be able to file the K1 visa. The only difference is that we went through the Casablanca consulate in Morocco, but I think both Casablanca and Cairo are both tough consulates where being approved for an immigrant visa takes more preparation than in other 'low fraud' countries. I highly recommend you make another visit to Egypt before filing the I-129F. I made 4 visits to Morocco before we filed our I-129F and 1 visit during the process, and I believe that it made the difference between us being approved quickly and not having to undergo extensive administrative processing.

At the interview, my fiance (now husband) was not asked about my religion and his religion wasn't brought up either, nothing was said about our ages since we are very close in age. The CO asked him about my various trips to visit him and that was pretty much it.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Egypt is a really tough embassy. Probably top 5 toughest ones outside of the countries listed in the travel ban. Make sure you get as many visits as possible and front load your application. Also, make sure you travel with your fiance at the time of the interview to attend the interview together. It could make a lot of difference. I'm not saying that to discourage you, but just to make sure you are prepared and not take any shortcuts. 

Edited by Hq1987

Timeline
3 hours ago, Hq1987 said:

Egypt is a really tough embassy. Probably top 5 toughest ones outside of the countries listed in the travel ban. Make sure you get as many visits as possible and front load your application. Also, make sure you travel with your fiance at the time of the interview to attend the interview together. It could make a lot of difference. I'm not saying that to discourage you, but just to make sure you are prepared and not take any shortcuts. 

Hey, don't worry about discouraging me. Anything helpful is absolutely welcome. And actually I didn't know I can go to the interview with him, if I could go and it wouldn't be breaking any rules then I will definitely do it, so that's extremely helpful!

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid are any shortcuts because I know Egypt is super hard. I want to make our applicant as immaculate as possible. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.