A.m.dcf

Affidavit of support complications

25 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

If they do not qualify you should find another joint sponsor. 

So if I were to use my fathers income + my mothers + my spouse whom I'm petitioning it would equal $44,200. The household size would then be 6 so that should be covered then? Am I figuring things correctly regarding including my spouse's income? Even though shes the one being petitioned?

1 hour ago, A.m.dcf said:

Yes but I have my two biological children that I have to petition as well as they do not qualify for the CRBA since I wasn't qualified to transfer citizenship and my CRBAs were denied. So the household would then be 6:
Mother

Father

My wife (immigrating)

My step son (immigrating)
My son #1 (immigrating)
My son #2 (immigrating)

Regarding finding another joint sponsor. Does that mean not use my father as a joint sponsor or can I have two joint sponsors?

Thank you

Your two sons who are your biological children will have an i-864w and do not need sponsor. They will become US citizens when they arrive on their immigrant visas. Your household count is 5. Your parents household count, if they are joint sponsors, is 4.  

You can use 1 joint sponsor per I-130.  So you could have a joint sponsor for your wife and another one for your stepson.

However consider poverty guidelines... if you cannot sponsor your family on your own, how will you pay for day to day living expenses?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, A.m.dcf said:

So if I were to use my fathers income + my mothers + my spouse whom I'm petitioning it would equal $44,200. The household size would then be 6 so that should be covered then? Am I figuring things correctly regarding including my spouse's income? Even though shes the one being petitioned?

You can't use your spouse.  Her income wont continue.  You cannot combine your income with your parents unless you live with then.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

15 hours ago, NikLR said:

Your two sons who are your biological children will have an i-864w and do not need sponsor. They will become US citizens when they arrive on their immigrant visas. Your household count is 5. Your parents household count, if they are joint sponsors, is 4.  

You can use 1 joint sponsor per I-130.  So you could have a joint sponsor for your wife and another one for your stepson.

However consider poverty guidelines... if you cannot sponsor your family on your own, how will you pay for day to day living expenses?

Thank you so much for directing me to the i-864w. I do plan to have a job in the US for day to day expenses and my wife is a photographer whom will do freelance and is currently looking for employment near our intended domicile. Should I have job acceptance letters ready before I send in the applications?

Also the way I understood what you said is my household is 5 I don't need to meet the poverty guidelines. But if my father is the joint sponsor for both my wife and step son he only needs to meet the poverty guidelines for a 4 person household?

Thank you so much NikLR

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

Yes that's correct. 

@NikLR I have another question. On the affidavit of support there is a field that says country of domicile. I looked up the exaction definition of domicile and it is: "A residence where you plan to spend the foreseeable future"

Do I put USA in this field even though I've spent the last 10 years or so living in the Philippines? I'm sending in these petitions as a DCF since I've been here more than 6 months I qualify but when it asks about my domicile I don't want them to think that I plan to stay here in the Philippines.

Your current domicile is the Philippines. You will need to provide evidence that you are moving back to the USA at interview. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2017 at 11:27 PM, Ryan H said:

Answers:

• The children you and your wife have together would need a Comsular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) which will enable them to obtain a US Passport; they would not need to be petitioned.  You would need to petition your stepson provided you married your wife prior to his 18th birthday.
  • Your household size is 5; your parents household size is 4.  You and the two children you have with your wife don't count in their household size; your parents don't count in yours.
  • Use the poverty guidelines with the numbers I just gave you.
  • When joint sponsors use assets to qualify, it is 5 times.
  • For a house to be used, an appraisal by a professional appraiser is required.  The qualifying amount is what is on the appraisal minus money owed.  If the house is a primary home it may be disallowed if in the event of the terms of the I-864 not being met, its liquidation would cause an undue hardship to the owner.

Hi @Ryan H

I did have a question regarding the professional appraiser. I reached out to a licensed appraiser in the area where my joint sponsor resides (which is also my hometown and the place where I'll be moving back to) and they asked me a few questions regarding getting the appraisal done for the affidavit of support. These were their questions:

#1 Who is the client? (Who do they address the appraisal to such as USCIS or DHS?)
#2 Who do they send the appraisal to or do they give it to me so I can submit it with the affidavit of support?
#3 How do I show that the property is paid off in full and doesn't have a mortgage? What specific document is needed?

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide. Others are welcome to chime in as well.

1) client is the homeowner

2) give to the homeowner who would then provide it to you if that person is not you

3) deed

11 minutes ago, NikLR said:

1) client is the homeowner

2) give to the homeowner who would then provide it to you if that person is not you

3) deed

Thank you really appreciate it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.