K1applicant

Canada K1 visa interview in Montreal?

24 posts in this topic

I just read online that all K1 visa interviews for Canadians have to be conducted in Montreal??? Apparently the Vancouver consulate doesn't do these anymore? I live about 20 minutes away from Vancouver and about a 4-5 hour flight away from Montreal so that's crazy. Does anyone know if there is any way to schedule my visa interview in the States (Washington State specifically)? I only like about 45 minutes drive away from WA State and that would be 1000x more convenient for me. I'll have a small baby most likely at the time of the interview, unless my case is process in record time as in the next 4 - 6 weeks, and obviously don't want to take her on a germy plane with me so I'd have to leave her with my mom but that would be so hard :( Please let me know if there is anything I can do to have my interview in WA State instead. 

Yes, Montreal handles all K-1s for Canada. No, you cannot interview for a visa within the US since there are no US embassies or consulates in the US (USCIS is under DHS and cannot issue visas like DOS).

See https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee/:

Effective April 1, 2016, U.S. Consulate General Vancouver is no longer processing new fiancé(e) (K) visa applications. U.S. Consulate General Montreal will be the interview location for all fiancé(e) visas in Canada. This change applies to all fiancé(e) visa petitions received at the National Visa Center after March 31, 2016. U.S. Consulate General Vancouver will continue to process fiancé(e) visa applications and conduct interviews for petitions they received prior to that date.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes, Montreal handles all K-1s for Canada. No, you cannot interview for a visa within the US since there are no US embassies or consulates in the US (USCIS is under DHS and cannot issue visas like DOS).

See https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee/:

Effective April 1, 2016, U.S. Consulate General Vancouver is no longer processing new fiancé(e) (K) visa applications. U.S. Consulate General Montreal will be the interview location for all fiancé(e) visas in Canada. This change applies to all fiancé(e) visa petitions received at the National Visa Center after March 31, 2016. U.S. Consulate General Vancouver will continue to process fiancé(e) visa applications and conduct interviews for petitions they received prior to that date.

No there wouldn't be any US embassies in the US but I have a NEXUS (safe traveller card) for which I had to be interviewed by the US at a location just past the border. It's crazy that ALL Canadians have to fly to Montreal Canada is  HUGE country. 

Montreal is the only place for K1's.

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

17 minutes ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

No there wouldn't be any US embassies in the US but I have a NEXUS (safe traveller card) for which I had to be interviewed by the US at a location just past the border. It's crazy that ALL Canadians have to fly to Montreal Canada is  HUGE country. 

I get the grief...Canada is huge and it's inconvenient (and costly).

NEXUS cards are issued by CBP, which is also under DHS. DOS is the only department that can issue visas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

It's crazy that ALL Canadians have to fly to Montreal Canada is  HUGE country.

Yup, it sucks. But at least you can still do the medical locally in BC. Many of us in the prairies had to make two separate trips to YVR and YUL; or spend the best part of a week in Montreal waiting on the medical paperwork.

Montreal conducts ALL immigrant visa interviews.  There is no way to get around this. I had to spend a week in Montreal to get my medical done there as well.  At least you can have your medical done in Surrey and only spend the night in Montreal PLUS you get to pick your own interview date as a K1.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
10 minutes ago, NikLR said:

At least you can have your medical done in Surrey and only spend the night in Montreal PLUS you get to pick your own interview date as a K1.

Yeah - even getting to pick your own interview date helps. For my IR-1, the interview was scheduled Jan 5 - xmas and new year holidays meant I'd've had to spend a fortnight in Montreal if I went that route for the medical.

4 minutes ago, broppy said:

Yeah - even getting to pick your own interview date helps. For my IR-1, the interview was scheduled Jan 5 - xmas and new year holidays meant I'd've had to spend a fortnight in Montreal if I went that route for the medical.

Yes, I just looked into all that and found out about Dr. Cheema in Surrey - that was the next thing that came to mind because this way I can just fly in the morning of the interview (well before) and then fly out later that night. I'm just trying not to be away from my baby for too long. Still sucks for all of us Canadians who don't live in Montreal because that's a significant added expense. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

Still sucks for all of us Canadians who don't live in Montreal because that's a significant added expense. 

I think they're still pissed about you burning down the White House in 1814...

1 hour ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

Yes, I just looked into all that and found out about Dr. Cheema in Surrey - that was the next thing that came to mind because this way I can just fly in the morning of the interview (well before) and then fly out later that night. I'm just trying not to be away from my baby for too long. Still sucks for all of us Canadians who don't live in Montreal because that's a significant added expense. 

It might be an added expense but I am looking forward to spending a week there. Either way I have to fly there are no medical places in the middle of Canada and since I am in Manitoba I have no choice but to either fly twice or stay longer so I voted for staying longer. My Mum is coming with me and we are treating it as a vacation. Our last one together for a very long time. I have lived with my Mum for just over 2 years now to save money and I am gonna miss her terribly. I understand though that you with a small baby would need to spend the least amount of time as possible.

17 minutes ago, pajobra said:

It might be an added expense but I am looking forward to spending a week there. Either way I have to fly there are no medical places in the middle of Canada and since I am in Manitoba I have no choice but to either fly twice or stay longer so I voted for staying longer. My Mum is coming with me and we are treating it as a vacation. Our last one together for a very long time. I have lived with my Mum for just over 2 years now to save money and I am gonna miss her terribly. I understand though that you with a small baby would need to spend the least amount of time as possible.

Yeah, if I were on my own I'd tweak my attitude as you have but I it will be terrible leaving her even if it is only for 24 hours and bless my mum I couldn't leave her in better hands. I'll have to figure out her feeding though while I'm not there so it's a hardship. Glad you've found the positive I hope you have a great trip!

Yep, you missed the boat with Vancouver. Two years ago you would have been able to go to Vancouver but things have changed.

Some people have to travel to other countries for their interviews. 

I imagine the the Russians feel the same way about having to go to Moscow for their interviews. Great if you live in Moscow, not so great if you live in Vladivostok. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 hour ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

It would explain the millions upon millions of jokes they have about us

You mean "aboot us, eh". ;)

Edited by broppy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.