Roper-Harrison

IR1 Vs CR1 - Avoiding the Hassle of ROC

16 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

My husband (the USC) and I (the UKC) were married in California in May 2016. We had planned on filing an immigration petition shortly thereafter but business and family obligations (mine) impinged upon the process. So he acquired a 29 month spousal visa from UK and we have been living here together in UK since Nov 2016. My obligations will be fulfilled by August 2018 and we intend now to leave for US shortly thereafter. We are eligible to use DCF and so thought we'd get that underway but it seems the Consulate in London is very efficient and is processing applications in a matter of weeks  - we were thinking it would be quite a few months. 

For any number of reasons, political and practical, we're like to get an IR1 status and avoid having to file for ROC. For this to occur we cannot go through a POE in US before 20 May 2018, the date of our second year wedding anniversary. We understand that visa expiration is tied directly to the date of the medical. That being the case we would not want that medical to occur prior to 20 December 2017 and just to be safe probably not before 1 Jan 2018.

So two questions: 

• Are our assumptions about the timing of the process correct - medical expiry dates, POE dates?
  • If we file the 130/130a the second week of September and get a quick approval (which seems likely) do we have any control over when the medical appointment is scheduled?

I suppose what we're wondering is whether we should just hold off filing until say November or December. All we really want to do is ensure that we'll be properly positioned to leave England for US late summer next year.

-Jo

It would seem to be quite straightforward to ensure your husband PoEs on or after your second wedding anniversary. 

Apply around February/March and make sure you don't do the medical until April/May. Problem solved. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

33 minutes ago, Seth And Quynh said:

Why are you Worried About ROC it's a easy process from what i've seen from other members 

Not always easy.

Agree with OP that it is one less thing to worry about and if possible, should plan so that they receive the IR visa instead of the CR1.

They will save money, save time (by not having to gather and submit evidence), and save stress.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, Seth And Quynh said:

Why are you Worried About ROC it's a easy process from what i've seen from other members 

1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

Not always easy.

Agree with OP that it is one less thing to worry about and if possible, should plan so that they receive the IR visa instead of the CR1.

They will save money, save time (by not having to gather and submit evidence), and save stress.

Yes, it is a process. It is time consuming. It can be expensive and especially if we are not in US at the time. And current US administration immigration policy is in no way heartening.

And, from what I've seen of several people's timelines in here it can devolve into a nightmare. 

All good reasons to be avoided if at all possible.

It's ironic: when we first started out we were concerned about how long the process would take; now the reverse is true. :huh:

Edited by Roper-Harrison

1 hour ago, Hypnos said:

It would seem to be quite straightforward to ensure your husband PoEs on or after your second wedding anniversary. 

Apply around February/March and make sure you don't do the medical until April/May. Problem solved. 

I guess we sort of knew this but wanted to get some degree of validation. We figured that if it made no difference when we scheduled the medical we could just send the petition in now and get on with other things. I suspect we'll just wait til late Nov early Dec. That should ensure that the medical doesn't occur prior to Jan and that works quite well.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Roper-Harrison said:

I guess we sort of knew this but wanted to get some degree of validation. We figured that if it made no difference when we scheduled the medical we could just send the petition in now and get on with other things. I suspect we'll just wait til late Nov early Dec. That should ensure that the medical doesn't occur prior to Jan and that works quite well.

Thanks

I would wait then if you want the IR1 but i wouldn't worry too much about the current administration they are only after illegal immigrants and more processing in Mena Countries.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Roper-Harrison said:

And current US administration immigration policy is in no way heartening.

You can remove that concern from your mind.  The current US administration will cause you zero problems......smh

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Actually the ROC process might get faster with DACA on the way out. 👍

However if you are close to the 2yr mark it's a no brainer to remove one less hurdle. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Roper-Harrison said:

Thanks

You can do the petition now and get the London  USCIS office (petition approval) out of the way. Then the London consulate part (Dept of State) where the beneficiary (you) actually puts in a visa application can be stalled. When you get in your desired time frame...submit the visa application, choose your own medical appointment date, and choose your own interview date from those available. Your visa will be issued to expire 6 months from the medical date, no matter when you have an interview, so plan accordingly. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Seth And Quynh said:

I would wait then if you want the IR1 but i wouldn't worry too much about the current administration they are only after illegal immigrants and more processing in Mena Countries.

4 hours ago, missileman said:

You can remove that concern from your mind.  The current US administration will cause you zero problems......smh

Oh, really?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration/trump-and-senators-seek-to-slash-legal-immigration-idUSKBN1AI1ZU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Mollie09 said:

I seriously doubt there will be any change in spousal visas....especially from UK.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I seriously doubted Donald Trump would be elected president... sometimes things happen.  LOL

But OP as DCF in London you book your own medical and interview dates. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

16 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Not always easy.

I totally agree! it's like filing another I130 while in the US lol.

4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I seriously doubted Donald Trump would be elected president... sometimes things happen.  LOL

But OP as DCF in London you book your own medical and interview dates. 

lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.