Jump to content

Use of Legal Name vs Green Card name on I-130 form.

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I-m trying to help someone, that's a permanent resident, filling form I-130 to bring his daughter to USA. The name he uses on his Green Card is different from his legal name on his birth Certificate and passport. Let's says his name on Birth Certificate is JOAO BARBOSA AMADO LOPES, but in his Green Card he is using JOAO B. LOPES. Which name shall I use to fill the form I-130? Thank You.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, f f said:

legal name.


6 minutes ago, f f said:

also he may need to get the card updated to have his legal name in it, not sure why he would not have his legal name on it to begin with

Almost certainly no need to update the green card - it's fairly typical that they only have first name and middle initial (at least on the front - middle names may be on the machine readable section on the back if there's enough space).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.