lizzy33

Moving my US spouse back to the UK with me due to my health.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wasn't sure where to post this, so if it belongs somewhere else I apologise.

I moved to the US in 2013 and have been going through the AOS process. Unfortunately the anxiety that I've had since I was 15 years old has got progressively worse since moving and I now suffer from agoraphobia. I am stuck in my house Mon-Fri and my husband forces me out at the weekend, where we tend to just go somewhere secluded so I can get some fresh air. I cannot leave the house with anybody except him, can't use public transport, can't drive, can't do anything on my own or with anybody else. As a result I can't work and can't even visit the UK as I'm worried I won't be able to get on the return flight home due to panic and my husband will have to return without me. Because I can't work I can't afford treatment of any kind, and I can't work on it by myself as I live in an area where there is nowhere for me to go even if I do leave the house. It is  taking such a toll that I can barely get out of bed.

As a result I've come to the conclusion that I need to return to the UK. I cannot permanently separate from my husband; we're married 'til death do us part. I'm just unsure on what my best options are in this particular situation. The requirements state that I have to prove I can financially support my husband, but I can't do that until I'm better. Would we fall under the category of "there would be very significant difficulties for you and your partner if you lived together as a couple outside the UK that couldn’t be overcome"?  I have all my records showing that I received several rounds of therapy before moving and that I've been on multiple medications since arriving in the US. If we were to move back to the UK we would be living with my parents while I get better and my husband looks for work. If it's possible we hope to rent our current home in the US out so that we still have a little source of income. 

Any advice would be appreciated, or if all you can tell me is that I'm screwed then at least it's better that I know.

I am sorry the anxiety is crippling you so badly; until you move, could your husband help you pay to see a therapist or is there any community clinic in your area?  

I suggest you ask the UK board about moving back and how you would qualify - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/ 

Best of luck - I hope you get better soon.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your husband is the USC you have no financial responsibility to him. It seems like you stress/worry alot. for your own sake living in the uk where yiu have family and adequate care us best. Once you leave the USA you will still have your Green card (assuming u filed on time) and can stay out for max of a year. If you decide to come back that is your choice and if not  uou loose the Green card. Your husband does not have to.suppoet u once h leave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Do you have health insurance? Or can your husband add you to his? You need to seek treatment asap if you are feeling this way. I understand how you feel. I suffered of anxiety attacks in the past. Moving to another country is already stressful enough, for people with an anxiety disorder is even worse.

I assume you have your GC already, you can apply for a reentry permit if you are planning to go back to UK for a while until you feel better. 

Your husband is the US citizen, not you. So you don't have to prove that you can support him financially.

I think the OP is talking about the requirements for a UK visa for her USC husband. Since 2012 the rules for moving to the UK have become much stricter and the financial requirements are part of that. There is no third-party sponsorship of any kind in UK immigration. 

OP - is it possible you have enough assets or savings in the US with your husband to cover the financial requirement - it's quite steep. 

I recommend trying the UK Yankee forums to ask for advice on whether there is any type of financial waiver with any chance of success. 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

The worst case scenario might be you have to return on your own first and then get help and get a job (which you'll then have to hold for six months) to then petition for your husband. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

Do you have health insurance? Or can your husband add you to his? You need to seek treatment asap if you are feeling this way. I understand how you feel. I suffered of anxiety attacks in the past. Moving to another country is already stressful enough, for people with an anxiety disorder is even worse.

I assume you have your GC already, you can apply for a reentry permit if you are planning to go back to UK for a while until you feel better. 

Your husband is the US citizen, not you. So you don't have to prove that you can support him financially.

I have health insurance through his employer, but  it doesn't cover mental health, and right now we're using his savings just to cover our bills because we don't have sufficient income (his employer cut everybody's pay at work and he has a non-compete so he's struggling to find a new job). 

I wouldn't move back to the US. I was a lot healthier before I moved in the first place so I feel that moving back would only result in the same happening again. I have no friends or family here, just my husband, and really don't have any life here whatsoever other than having a house.

6 minutes ago, Trellick said:

I think the OP is talking about the requirements for a UK visa for her USC husband. Since 2012 the rules for moving to the UK have become much stricter and the financial requirements are part of that. There is no third-party sponsorship of any kind in UK immigration. 

OP - is it possible you have enough assets or savings in the US with your husband to cover the financial requirement - it's quite steep. 

I recommend trying the UK Yankee forums to ask for advice on whether there is any type of financial waiver with any chance of success. 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

The worst case scenario might be you have to return on your own first and then get help and get a job (which you'll then have to hold for six months) to then petition for your husband. 

I don't think we have enough assets. We have a house that we owe $100k on. If we were to sell it we'd probably sell it for around $127k, so not a significant profit. We've discussed me moving back and him staying here until I have a job, but I think that is most likely going to take at least two years to be achievable. Prior to moving I was only able to work part-time with a relative due to the anxiety. I have a degree but I got it through the OU (studied from home), and that was all while receiving therapy for a much lower level of anxiety compared to what I have now. I feel like the recovery from the point I'm at now is going to be a very long process. I'm getting into a panicky state just talking about it now :(( 

I'll post in the yankee forums, thank you for the link.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Emigrating Outside the US, from Bringing Family of USC - As the OP is asking leaving the US with her spouse.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
18 minutes ago, lizzy33 said:

I have health insurance through his employer, but  it doesn't cover mental health, and right now we're using his savings just to cover our bills because we don't have sufficient income (his employer cut everybody's pay at work and he has a non-compete so he's struggling to find a new job). 

I wouldn't move back to the US. I was a lot healthier before I moved in the first place so I feel that moving back would only result in the same happening again. I have no friends or family here, just my husband, and really don't have any life here whatsoever other than having a house.

I don't think we have enough assets. We have a house that we owe $100k on. If we were to sell it we'd probably sell it for around $127k, so not a significant profit. We've discussed me moving back and him staying here until I have a job, but I think that is most likely going to take at least two years to be achievable. Prior to moving I was only able to work part-time with a relative due to the anxiety. I have a degree but I got it through the OU (studied from home), and that was all while receiving therapy for a much lower level of anxiety compared to what I have now. I feel like the recovery from the point I'm at now is going to be a very long process. I'm getting into a panicky state just talking about it now :(( 

I'll post in the yankee forums, thank you for the link.

If your husband is a Texas resident, Ignore the non compete, it is most likely not enforceable. 

In Florida that's a different story.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, mcdull said:

If your husband is a Texas resident, Ignore the non compete, it is most likely not enforceable. 

In Florida that's a different story.

Unfortunately it seems to be enforceable. A couple of co-workers tried to get jobs elsewhere and ended up in trouble for violating it. He works somewhere that's very strict when it comes to letting competing companies know what they do. Heck, even I'm not allowed to know half the stuff I know! 

Edited by lizzy33

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Just now, lizzy33 said:

Unfortunately it seems to be enforceable. A couple of co-workers tried to get jobs elsewhere and ended up in trouble for violating it. He works somewhere that's very strict when it comes to letting competing companies know they do. Heck, even I'm not allowed to know half the stuff I know! 

Oh well then.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

2 options i see

You get a job that will meet the UK wage requirements

He gets a transfer to the UK so can move through work

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

2 options i see

You get a job that will meet the UK wage requirements

He gets a transfer to the UK so can move through work

this or you sadly move on your separate ways. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, caliliving said:

this or you sadly move on your separate ways. 

I was trying to be positive.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I was trying to be positive.

i understand that and i was trying to be nice. Immigration is tough:/ add an already suspectible mental issue on top of that and i dont think its a good idea. that is why they ask about mental health at the medical.

think about it, no family no job and no friends.  you also cant get the care u need here. then you are going to try to find a way to make it work in the UK. your problems wont go away.  

it is good that the OP realized she needs to be around her family and loved ones.  

IMO marriage is hard enough being from the same country. unfortunately, you need alot more then love to sustain a relationship/marriage. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.