kimbaljl

Denied travel with expired green card and I-797 Notice of Action

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

From what I recall, UK doesn’t accept an i551 wet ink stamp for transit.

the bottom line is that travelers transiting somewhere need to ensure they understand the transit rules. This goes beyond just GC considerations, for example it includes countries where the passport validity requirement may be longer than what the US/3rd country one is -airlines will deny boarding for that too.

This makes me nervous, now there are countries that dont accept the i551 passport stamp ? I am going to Mexico soon, does Mexico understand the I551 stamp? I mean it is a valid non-expired stamp just like a Visa

1 hour ago, pkgc said:

This makes me nervous, now there are countries that dont accept the i551 passport stamp ? I am going to Mexico soon, does Mexico understand the I551 stamp? I mean it is a valid non-expired stamp just like a Visa

not valid, according to this language in the link. Need to obtain a visa from a Consulate. Emphasis on PR Card.

If you are a Permanent Resident of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries of the Schengen Area, and any of the countries members of the “Pacific Alliance”, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired Resident Card along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico. US travel document holders must present a US valid Permanent Resident when entering Mexico if they are nationals of the countries listed in the following link: 

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/visas/15-informacion/182-visas-english

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, pkgc said:

You need to distinguish between (1) what the US accepts as proof of LPR status and (2) what other countries that allow US LPRs concessions, accept as evidence that they are happy with. As pointed out before, verifying stamps and documents in countries that may not see them regularly might just be considered too risky. So you need to check. fwiw, the most scrutiny my green card has ever gotten was from a Mexican immigration officer.

—-

for example, if you transit through the UK you need to do your homework, it takes two seconds to find out online what is acceptable for transit without visa - and note the limitations on what they accept for LPRs.

• a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
4 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

not valid, according to this language in the link. Need to obtain a visa from a Consulate. Emphasis on PR Card.

If you are a Permanent Resident of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries of the Schengen Area, and any of the countries members of the “Pacific Alliance”, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired Resident Card along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico. US travel document holders must present a US valid Permanent Resident when entering Mexico if they are nationals of the countries listed in the following link: 

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/visas/15-informacion/182-visas-english

The i551 stamp says "upon endorsement, serves as temporary I551 evidencing permanent residency for one year", one would think this counts as permanent resident of the US. I think I am going to go to the airport to check with the airline check in agents, after all they are the once who check the necessary documents. Also, I might just get a Mexican Visa to be on the safe side. 

30 minutes ago, pkgc said:

The i551 stamp says "upon endorsement, serves as temporary I551 evidencing permanent residency for one year", one would think this counts as permanent resident of the US. I think I am going to go to the airport to check with the airline check in agents, after all they are the once who check the necessary documents. Also, I might just get a Mexican Visa to be on the safe side. 

Yes, and again, it counts FOR US IMMIGRATION. no-one else is obliged to accept it. 

Good idea going to the airport, the agents will (should) know what they can accept. Please report back. Please also clarify if you are talking about endorsement on the original immigrant visa or a wet ink stamp.

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, and again, it counts FOR US IMMIGRATION. no-one else is obliged to accept it. 

Good idea going to the airport, the agents will (should) know what they can accept. Please report back. Please also clarify if you are talking about endorsement on the original immigrant visa or a wet ink stamp.

I think the i551 ADIT stamp. 

I-751 journey

3 hours ago, pkgc said:

Not just the airline check in agents, equally important is whether Mexico immigration accepts the i551 stamp as a valid waiver of a PR card requirement once you land in Mexico. 

But yeah please report back. 

I-751 journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, pkgc said:

Other countries have no obligation to accept the I-551 stamp because they are not the US.  They have their own rules for what they accept for entry into their country.  Best to check with the Mexican consulate directly if you need a Mexican visa.

1 hour ago, pkgc said:

I have the wet ink stamp from the infopass appointment. 

Apparently it’s ok if you fly into Cancun. This is the only place I have been able to see the info that a “stamp” from uscis is acceptable. One assumes that it’s the same rule all over Mexico...,, but ...

https://travelyucatan.com/cancun-airport-immigration/

10 hours ago, pkgc said:

I have the wet ink stamp from the infopass appointment. 

The wet ink stamp is officially known as the ADIT stamp (Alien Documentation Identification and Telecommunication). 

I-751 journey

Timeline
16 hours ago, pkgc said:

So I went to the airport today to check with the check in agent, I went to the United counter. I shared the situation with the agent, she went back to a supervisor I think, and came back saying yes, the wet ink I551 stamp will work and that they will let me board the plane. However, the confidence was missing when she was talking. So just to be on the safe side, applying for the mexican visa. 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 1/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, millefleur said:
On 1/29/2019 at 1:19 AM, pkgc said:

That is really frustrating....was getting an I-551 stamp in the passport not an option before travel? Seems like it would be safer to have the stamp than just the extension letter.

Is this still a problem, my friend today literally called and told me the same thing, they did not allow him to board from Mumbai via Frankfurt to US.

I have Air France tickets booked for Mumbai via Paris to Washington Dulles, I called Air France they are saying I dont need any ATV or I will be allowed to board, now I am really not sure what to do.

Is there anyone else who can help with this?

Timeline
38 minutes ago, vkbruh1114 said:

Is this still a problem, my friend today literally called and told me the same thing, they did not allow him to board from Mumbai via Frankfurt to US.

I have Air France tickets booked for Mumbai via Paris to Washington Dulles, I called Air France they are saying I dont need any ATV or I will be allowed to board, now I am really not sure what to do.

When I had this issue, i had the extension letter, expired GC, and no wet ink stamp. My flight was Mumbai Frankfurt Denver, I was not allowed to board, and I was told all flights through europe have this problem, the airport agents specifically told me to go via gulf or direct to states. However, if you have a wet ink stamp, your situation may be different, I am not really sure what happens with the wet ink stamp.  

56 minutes ago, vkbruh1114 said:

This may be an issue with the transit airport, they sometimes have different requirements in lieu of transit visas.  It really does depend on the specific airline and routing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.