kimbaljl

Denied travel with expired green card and I-797 Notice of Action

59 posts in this topic

Airlines are more of a miss than a hit. Since I would imagine Air Canada is staffing their Lima counters with local people, they would have no idea of what's going on. I have experienced the same here in the US, flying out with RTD to Germany (no visa required) and RP to China WITH VISA. On the first instance the guy had no clue, and he kept telling him I needed a visa. I showed him on my phone the German consulate page visa requirements, he didn't budge. After many minutes and a flight missed later, supervisor showed up, repeating the same story. I had calmed down by then, so I explained to him what the issue was. He kept repeating his denial. After so many other minutes and a very frustrated myself and girlfriend, he went back to his office to "check on my story" then comes back and says OK. Germany side doesn't even blink, stamps and says have a nice stay! On the second instance the United lady is flipping through my RP with Chinese visa on it and keeps saying that I need a visa. I tell her HERE IT IS! She has no clue, doesn't know what to do and ultimately she calls a supervisor who takes one look and waves me in. 

I've had smaller issues in Italy, Mexico and Norway as well, all with airline agents who have absolutely no clue but ultimately resolved. 

Seems the issue your husband is facing is exactly what *broppy* said, Canadian side wants transit visa since it would appear your husband's national passport doesn't provide for visa free travel to Canada. I'm sure since you haven't posted back, this situation is now resolved. Next time, get a I-551 stamp in the passport before traveling. 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 8/17/2017 at 12:56 PM, kukumjacka said:

Airlines are more of a miss than a hit. Since I would imagine Air Canada is staffing their Lima counters with local people, they would have no idea of what's going on. I have experienced the same here in the US, flying out with RTD to Germany (no visa required) and RP to China WITH VISA. On the first instance the guy had no clue, and he kept telling him I needed a visa. I showed him on my phone the German consulate page visa requirements, he didn't budge. After many minutes and a flight missed later, supervisor showed up, repeating the same story. I had calmed down by then, so I explained to him what the issue was. He kept repeating his denial. After so many other minutes and a very frustrated myself and girlfriend, he went back to his office to "check on my story" then comes back and says OK. Germany side doesn't even blink, stamps and says have a nice stay! On the second instance the United lady is flipping through my RP with Chinese visa on it and keeps saying that I need a visa. I tell her HERE IT IS! She has no clue, doesn't know what to do and ultimately she calls a supervisor who takes one look and waves me in. 

I've had smaller issues in Italy, Mexico and Norway as well, all with airline agents who have absolutely no clue but ultimately resolved. 

Seems the issue your husband is facing is exactly what *broppy* said, Canadian side wants transit visa since it would appear your husband's national passport doesn't provide for visa free travel to Canada. I'm sure since you haven't posted back, this situation is now resolved. Next time, get a I-551 stamp in the passport before traveling. 

I was reading through this post because we are also going to be traveling to Peru. I just want to clarify that I-551 stamp is only given out IF your I-797 letter is expired.

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

• 7 months later...

I think the issue with returning to the US isn't because the Notice of action isn't sufficient - it's lack of knowledge from certain countries.  All of the research my husband and I have done shows that the Notice of action is all you need when returning to the United States as long as you have a valid passport.  From my understanding and a friend's experience whose husband travels abroad frequently for work, the NOA was fine when returning with the expired Green Card and an I-551 stamp is unnecessary (and I've also heard they won't issue it with a valid NOA).  My husband and I are currently in Amsterdam and will be returning to the US on the 29th, so I can answer more then and see if we have an issue - but I'm going to assume that we shouldn't have an issue because we've followed everything correctly.  Fingers crossed, I guess!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:32 AM, kimbaljl said:

My husband was denied entry on his plane last night by Air Canada in the Lima, Peru airport.  He had his passport, expired green card, and his I-797 notice of action showing that his green card is extended a year and he is authorized for travel while we wait for the removal of conditions on his green card.  He also had an ETA (electronic travel authorization), which as far as I can tell, is all that is needed for a US permanent resident to travel to/through Canada.  His flight goes through Toronto before entering the US.  He was told that the I-797 was not a valid travel document.  Has anyone else had similar problems?  Any suggestions about what we can do to get him home?  All Air Canada agents on the phone are very unhelpful, and they no agents arrive in the airport until 10pm, so he wasn't able to speak with anyone this afternoon.  We're looking at other airlines, but don't want to pay an outrageous cost for a new ticket when there's no valid reason he's being denied entry.

Unfortunately it is a valid document.  There have been several occasions when the airline doesn't honor them but it is definitely the correct document (along with the expired green card) that is needed to board the plane.

When you get home, and you will, I would definitely file a complaint with the airline.  That's BS.

• 6 months later...

My partner and I might be going through this same situation soon; so we googled around and found this forum. It has been very helpful; thank you all. I also hope that any of the travel issues discussed above have been resolved happily.  

I'm writing here because the *most* helpful part was the link to the cbp.gov website that describes the I-797 to "extend the validity of the [green] card"; but the link provided is no longer active.

Here is the most updated active one, as of November 2017 (link found on Jan 14 2019):

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Nov/carrier-information-guide-english.pdf

Page 38 (attached here) is still the one that discusses the I-797.

Thank you all!

I797_information_section_carrier-information-guide-english_page_38.pdf

7 hours ago, SydneyDuphrayne said:

My partner and I might be going through this same situation soon

To reduce hassels, your best choice for flying will be on an US based carrier.  Second choice is to buy tickets with a US Based carrier.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So I had a horrific experience today at the Mumbai airport. I have the 18 month extension letter and they did not let me on the flight back to US through Frankfurt as EU, specifically Germany in this case (Lufthansa) does not allow expired green cards with extension letter for transit, that is what I was told by the Lufthansa airport agents and supervisors. It seemed like they knew what the I 797 was and they said the issue is with Frankfurt specifically instructing not to allow anyone with the letters, they wanted a valid GC. I had to re book my flight, going United directly to Newark. This is extremely frustrating. There were 2 other families in the same boat, nobody was allowed. More $$$ to the airlines! 

USCIS should just reprint the GCs with the new expiry dates instead of extension letters or make EU allow the letters. Direct flights to the US are not always an option from all countries. 

Vayama has raised their hands and I think Lufthansa will too. This feels like a lost battle upon reading other stores. Airlines or travel agents simply don't care, all they care about is selling tickets. I think "Non -refundable" should follow with "Hope and pray you get on the flight coz if you don't we don't care!". I wonder if refundable tickets allow for refunds under such circumstances. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, pkgc said:

So I had a horrific experience today at the Mumbai airport. I have the 18 month extension letter and they did not let me on the flight back to US through Frankfurt as EU, specifically Germany in this case (Lufthansa) does not allow expired green cards with extension letter for transit, that is what I was told by the Lufthansa airport agents and supervisors. It seemed like they knew what the I 797 was and they said the issue is with Frankfurt specifically instructing not to allow anyone with the letters, they wanted a valid GC. I had to re book my flight, going United directly to Newark. This is extremely frustrating. There were 2 other families in the same boat, nobody was allowed. More $$$ to the airlines! 

USCIS should just reprint the GCs with the new expiry dates instead of extension letters or make EU allow the letters. Direct flights to the US are not always an option from all countries. 

Vayama has raised their hands and I think Lufthansa will too. This feels like a lost battle upon reading other stores. Airlines or travel agents simply don't care, all they care about is selling tickets. I think "Non -refundable" should follow with "Hope and pray you get on the flight coz if you don't we don't care!". I wonder if refundable tickets allow for refunds under such circumstances. 

That is really frustrating....was getting an I-551 stamp in the passport not an option before travel? Seems like it would be safer to have the stamp than just the extension letter.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

• 1 month later...

I was denied my boarding pass to Mexico at SFO today. Although the 18-month extension letter (I797) says explicitly that I can travel with my expired conditional green card with I797, Mexico now requires me to apply for a Visa. In the past five years, I had been able to visit Mexico without a visa as long as my US legal status is valid. Extension letter doesn't seem to be in the same category for many countries. Reading from the posts above, it seems to me that reentering US is never an issue, it's the countries who otherwise allow US resident to enter /transit without Visa have problem with expired green card. 

Edited by Shuling

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shuling said:

I was denied my boarding pass to Mexico at SFO today. Although the 18-month extension letter (I797) says explicitly that I can travel with my expired conditional green card with I797, Mexico now requires me to apply for a Visa. In the past five years, I had been able to visit Mexico without a visa as long as my US legal status is valid. Extension letter doesn't seem to be in the same category for many countries. Reading from the posts above, it seems to me that reentering US is never an issue, it's the countries who otherwise allow US resident to enter /transit without Visa have problem with expired green card. 

Always check your destination country's requirements before traveling.  From the Mexican embassy website --

If the US visa stamped in your passport is expired but you have an official document or form proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa at this Consulate (please visit: https://seccionconsularwashington.youcanbook.me/). All EAD cards, I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 are not accepted to enter Mexico.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/visas/15-informacion/182-visas-english

3 hours ago, Ate said:

Always check your destination country's requirements before traveling.  From the Mexican embassy website --

If the US visa stamped in your passport is expired but you have an official document or form proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa at this Consulate (please visit: https://seccionconsularwashington.youcanbook.me/). All EAD cards, I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 are not accepted to enter Mexico.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/visas/15-informacion/182-visas-english

Thank you for your reply. This section you quoted is specific to expired US Visa Stamp. They were silent on expired conditional green card. It says on the same page that  "With the purpose of facilitating and promoting travel to Mexico, effective May 2016 all those foreign nationals, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico for tourism, business or transit are NOT required to obtain a Mexican visa IF they hold a valid (non-expired) Visa or Permanent Residence of any of this countries: United States of America, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area (European Union)."  My understanding was that as long as you are a permanent residence, you don't need a Mexican visa.

However, you are right that we should always be extra cautious.

Edited by Shuling

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Shuling said:

Thank you for your reply. This section you quoted is specific to expired US Visa Stamp. It was silent on expired conditional green card. It says on the same page that  "With the purpose of facilitating and promoting travel to Mexico, effective May 2016 all those foreign nationals, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico for tourism, business or transit are NOT required to obtain a Mexican visa IF they hold a valid (non-expired) Visa or Permanent Residence of any of this countries: United States of America, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area (European Union)."  My understanding was that as long as you are a permanent residence, you don't need a Mexican visa. Expired conditional green card + extension letter is enough proof for valid permanent residence status.

Here is the actual quote from the website:

If you are a Permanent Resident of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries of the Schengen Area, and any of the countries members of the “Pacific Alliance”, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired Resident Card along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico.

That section, along with the one I quoted in my previous post, makes it clear what Mexico wants to see to let you enter.  They know you're a US Permanent Resident and they don't care.  They want to see your unexpired US green card or a visa issued by the Mexican government.  Their country, their rules.

15 minutes ago, Ate said:

Here is the actual quote from the website:

If you are a Permanent Resident of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries of the Schengen Area, and any of the countries members of the “Pacific Alliance”, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired Resident Card along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico.

That section, along with the one I quoted in my previous post, makes it clear what Mexico wants to see to let you enter.  They know you're a US Permanent Resident and they don't care.  They want to see your unexpired US green card or a visa issued by the Mexican government.  Their country, their rules.

Thank you. This is super helpful. This also makes me realize that the information you provided from Consulate in Washington is actually a lot more comprehensive than what I found through Mexican Consulate in San Francisco (this is where I live). The San Francisco site doesn't have the same language.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/index.php/visas-traveling-to-mexico

On 1/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, millefleur said:

That is really frustrating....was getting an I-551 stamp in the passport not an option before travel? Seems like it would be safer to have the stamp than just the extension letter.

From what I recall, UK doesn’t accept an i551 wet ink stamp for transit.

the bottom line is that travelers transiting somewhere need to ensure they understand the transit rules. This goes beyond just GC considerations, for example it includes countries where the passport validity requirement may be longer than what the US/3rd country one is -airlines will deny boarding for that too.

A significant issue is documents and passport stamps could be counterfeited and several countries don't want to deal with the hassle of verifying those docs. Therefore , it's either the valid green card (which is near impossible to counterfeit) or get a visit/transit visa. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.