kiritoty

Question for Form N-14

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hey, I have a question about Form N-14.

I try to change both my first name and last name through naturalization application (N-400) and today I took my naturalization Interview test. Everything went well, and get result said: You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government, and Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.  But the result also said: Please follow the instructions on Form N-14 which is ask me to bring two passport-style photographs to Name change Ceremony, failure to do so may result in the denial of your application.

So my question is, the Name change ceremony is same as the oath of allegiance ceremony?? 

Or is that mean I have to go to court and change my name first, then do oath of allegiance ceremony??

What should I do now? Just waiting?

Any clue and idea will be greatly appreciated.

Timeline

I kind of had the same situation as yours, I changed my first/ middle/and last name,during my citizenship interview back in July.

The officer asked me, do i want to change my signature? i replied to her, do i have to? she said is up to you, you can change it later, but if you want to change your signature then i will need a passport style photo and with you name signed.

(so i guess that's what the photo for)

Two type of ceremonies, the Judicial Ceremonies and Administrative Ceremonies.
For people with the name changes have to attend the Judicial Ceremonies at the Courthouse,( or conducting by a judge).Because only the judges can issue us the name changes. 

I been told by the officer to wait for the Ceremony letter, and i will get to know two weeks in advance.( between the schedule day and receiving day.)

She said at the ceremony i will receive the certificate and name change order document from the courthouse. but I  need to make sure all the spellings are right before i leave that place.

now i am just waiting...... i saw a post said they wait for around 3 month just for the ceremony letter to come at the Denver field office. i am praying ......

Hope that helps and all the best.

Colorado2016

Timeline
7 hours ago, Colorado2016 said:

I kind of had the same situation as yours, I changed my first/ middle/and last name,during my citizenship interview back in July.

The officer asked me, do i want to change my signature? i replied to her, do i have to? she said is up to you, you can change it later, but if you want to change your signature then i will need a passport style photo and with you name signed.

(so i guess that's what the photo for)

Two type of ceremonies, the Judicial Ceremonies and Administrative Ceremonies.
For people with the name changes have to attend the Judicial Ceremonies at the Courthouse,( or conducting by a judge).Because only the judges can issue us the name changes. 

I been told by the officer to wait for the Ceremony letter, and i will get to know two weeks in advance.( between the schedule day and receiving day.)

She said at the ceremony i will receive the certificate and name change order document from the courthouse. but I  need to make sure all the spellings are right before i leave that place.

now i am just waiting...... i saw a post said they wait for around 3 month just for the ceremony letter to come at the Denver field office. i am praying ......

Hope that helps and all the best.

Colorado2016

Thanks, the information definitely help me a lot.

My mother took test at same day as me. She only changes her first name. And the officer doesn't ask any photos. So I will assuming the photos is required because we change our last name.

Also the officer told me, I have to wait 3-5 months because of name change. If I keep my current name, the waiting time will be only 1-2 months. I'm in Atlanta area, the whole process is really slow.

Best of luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.