Flavia

How do you know if you're ready for the speaking test?

5 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to submit my mother's paperwork for citizenship, but am concerned about her English. She is 58 and english is very difficult for her to learn. She took ESL classes but didn't progress much. She can have a basic conversation but I help her when it comes to banks, doctors, etc.

How do you know if she is ready?

She says she knows people who's english was very poor and they still passed the test but that was in NY area so maybe it depends on the region.

Any insights?

The speaking part of the test is very basic but, of course, it depends on what "basic" means to someone who does not speak English well.

She's going to be asked to type a sentence the IO will dictate and to read another sentence the IO will provide. For example, during my interview, I was told to write:  "The people elect Congress"  and the question I had to read was: Who elects Congress?

Needless to say that the IO will be speaking English at times and she will be asked a lot of questions in English that she needs to understand to respond. These are the usual questions.... are you a criminal? Have you been convicted of a felony? have you sold drugs? etc, etc 

I hope this helps you determine if she's ready or not. Worst that can happen is that she gets denied, you lose the application fee and some time.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Kitties said:

I'm getting ready to submit my mother's paperwork for citizenship, but am concerned about her English. She is 58 and english is very difficult for her to learn. She took ESL classes but didn't progress much. She can have a basic conversation but I help her when it comes to banks, doctors, etc.

How do you know if she is ready?

She says she knows people who's english was very poor and they still passed the test but that was in NY area so maybe it depends on the region.

Any insights?

The language isn't a serious problem from what we experienced & they have people that can help right there at the ceremony . Focus on the basic questions about our govt. The rest is important too but she will be able to become a citizen. Great stuff. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

First check if she qualifies for the 50/20 or 55/15 exceptions. If she does, she will be exempt from English language requirements and will also be allowed to bring an interpreter.  Otherwise, she will need to take reading/writing test

and also needs to communicate with the IO in English. The reading/writing portion of the test is trivial, USCIS even provides study material that includes list of all possible words they would ask at this test (pages 32-33) https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/USCIS/Office of Citizenship/Citizenship Resource Center Site/Publications/PDFs/M-638_red.pdf

I don't think I've seen anyone who failed the writing or reading portions before. The speaking portion is where they would be failing her if she struggles understanding and/or answering IO's questions. I remember two cases last year that failed the 1st interview due to inability to speak English. Both cases passed the test in the 2nd try.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.