kcaldoza

Valid Passport required??

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

So a week ago I received a notification about my naturalization (n400) interview scheduled next month. As I was preparing all the required documents to bring to the interview, I found out that my current passport just expired (literally like 2 weeks ago). 

Now, is it required for me to bring a valid (non-expired) passport to the interview? If so, I'm afraid that the passport renewal process will take long and will not be able to make it to the interview. 

Please help and advise.

Thank you.

Edited by kcaldoza

Yes, you will need a valid passport as it will be the passport that will have the visa in it and you will use to enter the US. Try to get the passport renewed and see if you can expedite the renewal. You may be able to get through the interview but if you don't have a valid passport they will not approve you until you do. So you may get an 221g requesting a valid passport and your case will be in AP until you can provide it.

Don't know how long it takes to get a passport renewal in the PHL. Best to get a move on things now.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Thanks NuestraUnion

I am a green card holder and have been a resident for more than 5 years now, so the Visa is not on my passport anymore. 

I have read from other forums that not having a valid/non-expired passport is okay as long as the travel information I put in my application form matches the information on the passport where it was stamped. 

Does anyone have any other comments on this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Nowhere in N400 requirements it asks for a "valid" passport but you are required to bring all valid and expired passports to the interview. This was also discussed on VJ a while back.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
18 minutes ago, kcaldoza said:

Hello,

So a week ago I received a notification about my naturalization (n400) interview scheduled next month. As I was preparing all the required documents to bring to the interview, I found out that my current passport just expired (literally like 2 weeks ago). 

Now, is it required for me to bring a valid (non-expired) passport to the interview? If so, I'm afraid that the passport renewal process will take long and will not be able to make it to the interview. 

Please help and advise.

Thank you.

There is no reason why you would need a "non-expired" passport. I just had my interview recently, the IO just verifies the US entry stamps on your passport against the information you provided on your N-400 application (trips outside the US). I would not worry about renewing your passport.

Thanks charmander for your feedback.

OK - I guess I will just bring my expired passport to the interview. Anyway, this is the passport that contains stamps from my trip outside the US 4 years ago.

I noticed though that the thread you posted is like 7 years ago (back in 2010). Do you think the same rule about passport is still valid for today?

4 minutes ago, LionLavSJ said:

There is no reason why you would need a "non-expired" passport. I just had my interview recently, the IO just verifies the US entry stamps on your passport against the information you provided on your N-400 application (trips outside the US). I would not worry about renewing your passport.

Perfect! Just the answer I was looking for :)

Thank you LionLavSJ.

44 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Yes, you will need a valid passport as it will be the passport that will have the visa in it and you will use to enter the US. Try to get the passport renewed and see if you can expedite the renewal. You may be able to get through the interview but if you don't have a valid passport they will not approve you until you do. So you may get an 221g requesting a valid passport and your case will be in AP until you can provide it.

Don't know how long it takes to get a passport renewal in the PHL. Best to get a move on things now.

I don't think u have a correct answer,

he is going to a naturalization interview

not a visa interview, the IO need to see the passport to verify the info you provided on your N-400 application.

No need to renew it

Edited by Lela37

15 minutes ago, Lela37 said:

I don't think u have a correct answer,

he is going to a naturalization interview

not a visa interview, the IO need to see the passport to verify the info you provided on your N-400 application.

No need to renew it

I see that now. From the original post it read as if they were going to a visa interview. Looks like the OP edited it after or during my response. 

Regardless, looks like they got the correct info.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Bring your expired Philippines passport to the interview.  They will take it from you because you will be becoming a US citizen.  They took my wife's saying,"You won't need this anymore as you are renouncing your Philippines citizenship."  Hers what not expired but they took it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

The request to bring your passport is just so that they can verify whether you've maintained continuous residence. There isn't a requirement for you to renew your passport if it has expired. I'm very surprised that they took David's wife's passport at the interview, I don't think that's standard practice. In my case, they didn't even bother to look at my Singapore passport at the interview, which I needed anyway, since I was traveling between the interview and the oath ceremony.

1 minute ago, CookieCat said:

It's not standard practice to take away the passport. I had my interview last week and I showed both my previous and current French passports. Interviewer promptly gave both back to me. I also doubt they would do it to just Philippine passports.

I don't know about you and your case.  I was merely sharing our experience with a Philippines passport.  What happened to you does not change what happened to us and is irrelevant.    Homeland Security in Honolulu Hawaii took my wife's Philippines passport as she/we entered the room for her oath ceremony.  (Her passport was valid at the time) saying she wouldn't need it anymore.  End of story.

8 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Where did you get this information from??

Edit: Never mind I see that you misunderstood the question

Edited by Diamond507

K1

05/23/2014: I-129F sent

08/05/2014: I-129F approved

11/25/2014: Interview - approved

11/27/2014: K1 visa received

AOS 

03/03/2015: I-485, I-765 sent

05/13/2015: I-765 approved

05/20/2015: EAD received

06/14/2015: NPIW received (dated 06/11)

09/24/2015: I-485 approved

10/01/2015: Conditional Green Card received

ROC 

07/24/2017: I-751 package sent

07/26/2017: NOA1 date

08/01/2017: NOA1 hardcopy (extension letter) received

8 hours ago, charmander said:

Nowhere in N400 requirements it asks for a "valid" passport but you are required to bring all valid and expired passports to the interview. This was also discussed on VJ a while back.

Thank you for making this clear. I have been wondering about the same thing as OP because my passport expired a year ago (I never left the US since I moved here on a K1 visa) and I will be applying for citizenship next year.

K1

05/23/2014: I-129F sent

08/05/2014: I-129F approved

11/25/2014: Interview - approved

11/27/2014: K1 visa received

AOS 

03/03/2015: I-485, I-765 sent

05/13/2015: I-765 approved

05/20/2015: EAD received

06/14/2015: NPIW received (dated 06/11)

09/24/2015: I-485 approved

10/01/2015: Conditional Green Card received

ROC 

07/24/2017: I-751 package sent

07/26/2017: NOA1 date

08/01/2017: NOA1 hardcopy (extension letter) received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.