MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

In March 2017 the DHS introduced Form DS-5535.  They can request/require any USA Visa applicant to complete the form,  Does anyone have ant input as to the frequency of this form being required of applicants at any of the Consulates or USCIS interviews, or at POE?  Any/all comments much appreciated. Our CR-1 Immigration Visa interview appointment is scheduled for Friday, 7 July 2017 at the  Ciudad Juarez Consulate.  Thank you for any/all input,  feedback, and actual experiences comments.  

14 minutes ago, MXcompadre said:

In March 2017 the DHS introduced Form DS-5535.  They can request/require any USA Visa applicant to complete the form,  Does anyone have ant input as to the frequency of this form being required of applicants at any of the Consulates or USCIS interviews, or at POE?  Any/all comments much appreciated. Our CR-1 Immigration Visa interview appointment is scheduled for Friday, 7 July 2017 at the  Ciudad Juarez Consulate.  Thank you for any/all input,  feedback, and actual experiences comments.  

If DOS determines a visa applicant warrants additional scrutiny, the applicant would be instructed to provide the following information on Form DS-5535:

• Travel history during the last fifteen years, including source of funding for travel;
  • Address history during the last fifteen years;
  • Employment history during the last fifteen years;
  • All passport numbers and country of issuance held by the applicant;
  • Names and dates of birth for all siblings;
  • Name and dates of birth for all children;
  • Names and dates of birth for all current and former spouses, or civil or domestic partners;
  • Social media platforms and identifiers, also known as handles, used during the last five years; and
  • Phone numbers and email addresses used during the last five years.
  •  

DOS estimates in its Federal Register notice that "0.5% of U.S. visa applicants worldwide, or in the range of 65,000 individuals per annum, will present a threat profile, based on individual circumstances and information they provide, that will lead U.S. consular officers at posts around the world to conclude the applicant warrants enhanced screening that takes into account the information that is proposed to be collected."

I think this explains it all.

Edited by David & Zoila

Timeline

Thank you David & Zoila for your reply. Please re-read my initial 'post for'. 

We've completed form DS-5535 to bring to the interview, My question is, since it's implementation in March 2017 has anyone been requested/required to submit the completed DS-5525 form?  I am seeking implementation requirement feedback input, not DS-5535 information. We are seeking feedback as to whether any VJ'ers have experienced having to submit this form. 

5 minutes ago, MXcompadre said:

Thank you David & Zoila for your reply. Please re-read my initial 'post for'. 

We've completed form DS-5535 to bring to the interview, My question is, since it's implementation in March 2017 has anyone been requested/required to submit the completed DS-5525 form?  I am seeking implementation requirement feedback input, not DS-5535 information. We are seeking feedback as to whether any VJ'ers have experienced having to submit this form. 

This form is nearly brand new.  I posted the likelihood that people are selected to complete this additional form.  That's all I can do.  I did read your original post.  Read my post:  It's 0.5% of applicants.  And it looks like it was not actually implemented until May 2017 as far as I can tell.

Edited by David & Zoila

Timeline

Yes it has been barely 3 months since form DS-5535 was implemented/introduced. I'm looking for input as to whether any VJ user as been requested to submit the form.  Perusing/searching the internet US and International news media have covered this extensively, without any actual case experiences being cited.  THank you again for your follow-up response.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the Site Discussion forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- query involves that stage.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/14/2017 at 6:25 PM, MXcompadre said:

Yes it has been barely 3 months since form DS-5535 was implemented/introduced. I'm looking for input as to whether any VJ user as been requested to submit the form.  Perusing/searching the internet US and International news media have covered this extensively, without any actual case experiences being cited.  THank you again for your follow-up response.  

Hello

we was asked to fill DS 5535 after the interview. do you have any idea how long it takes?

we received administrative processing after 10 days we received an email asking to fill DS 5535 by email.

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had H1b visa interview on June 22nd 2017 after the interview VO gave me 221g and on next day they send me DS 5535. I completed it and since than my case is under administrative processing. Anyone recieve visa recently after recieving DS 5535??

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello all,

I am an American born citizen, my wife is Moroccan. On June 19th, 2017 my wife had a k-1 visa interview in Casa Blanca and they gave her form DS 5535 immediately after the interview, in person, along with an email address for her to email the completed form to. She filled it out and sent it 3 days later. We haven't heard anything from them, and, like the rest of you we are wondering how long this extra step in screening is going to take. If you have any information regarding the time frame please do let me know. It is much appreciated. 

P.S. Stay optimistic. I hope you will be with your loved ones soon.

Warm Regards,

Fadi

Edited by Fedi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, Fedi said:

Hello all,

I am an American born citizen, my wife is Moroccan. On June 19th, 2017 my wife had a k-1 visa interview in Casa Blanca and they gave her form DS 5535 immediately after the interview, in person, along with an email address for her to email the completed form to. She filled it out and sent it 3 days later. We haven't heard anything from them, and, like the rest of you we are wondering how long this extra step in screening is going to take. If you have any information regarding the time frame please do let me know. It is much appreciated. 

Warm Regards,

Fadi

Is she your wife or your fiancée (it says K1 under your avatar)? :) 

Anyway, why do you think they gave her that dreaded form? Has she traveled or studied abroad at some point in her life?

How long was the form (1 or 3 pages)?

And I think everyone who was given that form is put on hold (AP) for a very very long time...I have yet to hear about a DS-5535 case who got their visa.

~~~

Timeline

Hello,

oops, I meant to say K3 (fixing that). She's my wife. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I have no idea why they would give her that form... she has never traveled outside of her country. I feel like the whole thing is very much arbitrary based on their giving it to my wife. 

The form was 3 pages long. 

Well, it is practically brand new (as of late May, 2017) so we will have to just wait and see. I'm hoping this year! We're doing our best to be patient and hope for the best.

Timeline
On 7/13/2017 at 9:22 PM, Fedi said:

Hello all,

(I meant to say K-3 visa in my profile but accidentally put K-1, does not seem to be a way to correct error)

I am an American born citizen, my wife is Moroccan. On June 19th, 2017 my wife had a K-3 visa interview in Casa Blanca and they gave her form DS 5535 immediately after the interview, in person, along with an email address for her to email the completed form to. She filled it out and sent it 3 days later. We haven't heard anything from them, and, like the rest of you we are wondering how long this extra step in screening is going to take. If you have any information regarding the time frame please do let me know. It is much appreciated. 

Warm Regards,

Fadi

Edited by Fedi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 hours ago, Fedi said:

Hello,

oops, I meant to say K3 (fixing that). She's my wife. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I have no idea why they would give her that form... she has never traveled outside of her country. I feel like the whole thing is very much arbitrary based on their giving it to my wife. 

The form was 3 pages long. 

Well, it is practically brand new (as of late May, 2017) so we will have to just wait and see. I'm hoping this year! We're doing our best to be patient and hope for the best.

That's actually weird, but it helps to know that traveling abroad is not the only criterion leading to the DS-5535. So now I wonder if we're just randomly selected in order for US consular posts all over the world to reach that 0.5% of visa applicants before November 31st when that form expires. 

The questionnaire, according to the DoS, will be presented to 0.5 per cent of US visa applicants worldwide – roughly 65,000 people annually who fit an undisclosed profile – for the purpose of obtaining additional information.

PS. I've been reading the forums and lots of people have reported that the K3 visa is actually obsolete, dating back to when the CR1 process used to take years.

Edited by SaRy

~~~

Timeline
On 7/15/2017 at 5:44 AM, SaRy said:

That's actually weird, but it helps to know that traveling abroad is not the only criterion leading to the DS-5535. So now I wonder if we're just randomly selected in order for US consular posts all over the world to reach that 0.5% of visa applicants before November 31st when that form expires. 

PS. I've been reading the forums and lots of people have reported that the K3 visa is actually obsolete, dating back to when the CR1 process used to take years.

Thanks for the info (: that's interesting because 16 months after our first step towards immigration she was interviewed. it seems like it's form DS 5535/this extra vetting process which has delayed us. what do you mean by obsolete and dating back to when the CR1 process used to take years? If you could point me towards some specific threads to learn more that would be great. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.