Dashinka

Sweden Drops Rape Investigation Of Julian Assange — But He's Not In The Clear

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Apparently waiting out the statute of limitations in the Ecuadorian Embassy works.  Of course he still has to deal with the UK, but maybe soon he and Pamela Anderson can get a room in a nice hotel.

Swedish prosecutors have announced they are dropping the country's rape investigation of Julian Assange. The WikiLeaks founder, who has long denied the allegation, has been holed up at the Ecuadorean Embassy in London since 2012 to avoid the country's extradition request.

A statement released online declared Swedish prosecutor Marianne Ny's intention to "discontinue the investigation regarding suspected rape (lesser degree) by Julian Assange."

"At this point, all possibilities to conduct the investigation are exhausted. In order to proceed with the case, Julian Assange would have to be formally notified of the criminal suspicions against him," the statement reads in part. "We cannot expect to receive assistance from Ecuador regarding this. Therefore the investigation is discontinued."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/19/529086029/sweden-drops-rape-case-against-julian-assange

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

Apparently waiting out the statute of limitations in the Ecuadorian Embassy works.  Of course he still has to deal with the UK, but maybe soon he and Pamela Anderson can get a room in a nice hotel.

Swedish prosecutors have announced they are dropping the country's rape investigation of Julian Assange. The WikiLeaks founder, who has long denied the allegation, has been holed up at the Ecuadorean Embassy in London since 2012 to avoid the country's extradition request.

A statement released online declared Swedish prosecutor Marianne Ny's intention to "discontinue the investigation regarding suspected rape (lesser degree) by Julian Assange."

"At this point, all possibilities to conduct the investigation are exhausted. In order to proceed with the case, Julian Assange would have to be formally notified of the criminal suspicions against him," the statement reads in part. "We cannot expect to receive assistance from Ecuador regarding this. Therefore the investigation is discontinued."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/19/529086029/sweden-drops-rape-case-against-julian-assange

Now that the charges are dropped the UK has nothing to hide behind for their egregious expenses on surveillance and 24/7 police presence around the embassy.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Here is the part many don't get. He's is incredibly rich, and claims to be innocent. Why doesn't he face his accuser, go to trial, prove his innocence, and walk free. As it is, he is in prison inside the embassy. 

2 hours ago, IAMX said:

Guilty until proven innocent aye? #LiberalJustice

If someone is refusing to actually go to court to prove innocence, I'm not exactly sure where I would put them on that spectrum.

They aren't dropping the charges because they don't have a case. They are dropping the charges because by hiding in an Embassy he has made it impossible for them to actually take him to court. While yes he isn't legally guilty, it is awfully suspicious.

Kind of like settling a lot of court cases and then claiming "See I never did anything wrong, I just needed to spend millions to make those problems that I never had go away". You're not proven guilty...but you sort of smell.

Edited by bcking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, bcking said:

If someone is refusing to actually go to court to prove innocence, I'm not exactly sure where I would put them on that spectrum.

They aren't dropping the charges because they don't have a case. They are dropping the charges because by hiding in an Embassy he has made it impossible for them to actually take him to court. While yes he isn't legally guilty, it is awfully suspicious.

Kind of like settling a lot of court cases and then claiming "See I never did anything wrong, I just needed to spend millions to make those problems that I never had go away". You're not proven guilty...but you sort of smell.

technicality but they are "discontinue the investigation regarding suspected rape (lesser degree) by Julian Assange" not dropping charges.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
26 minutes ago, bcking said:

If that looks guilty to you clearly you have no idea about anything surrounding the case. His lawyers advised he hide because of the likely extradition to the United States for running Wikileaks (and clear hostility to whistleblowing), not because of the alleged Sweden charges.

The Bradley Manning clemency was likely a weak effort to convince Assange (and Snowden) to allow extradition thinking the US would go easy on him. It was a ruse.

Edited by IAMX

1 minute ago, IAMX said:

If that looks guilty to you clearly you have no idea about anything surrounding the case. His lawyers advised he hide because of the likely extradition to the United States for running Wikileaks (and clear hostility to whistleblowing), not because of the alleged Sweden charges.

The Bradley Manning clemency was likely a weak effort to convince Assange (and Snowden) to allow extradition thinking the US would go easy on him. It was a ruse.

I'm not saying it looks guilty, but it certainly also doesn't make him look innocent.

Timeline
Just now, bcking said:

I'm not saying it looks guilty, but it certainly also doesn't make him look innocent.

How it makes him look is irrelevant as far as his intentions are concerned.. that part is pretty obvious given the public statements and rhetoric of US officials toward whistleblowers.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, ccneat said:

technicality but they are "discontinue the investigation regarding suspected rape (lesser degree) by Julian Assange" not dropping charges.

i think they realize that they'll have to get him if he ever ventures out of the embassy. If they wait long enough, he's likely to come floating down the river. 

Edited by CaliCat