kensey

Left Greencard in US - Can I temporarily use Visa Waiver

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I left my green card in the US. I know that I'd need to obtain a transportation letter but it will definitely complicate things because of the waiting time for appointment which guarantees I'll miss my flight  and various work appointments.

I was thinking about another option:

Fill out an ESTA form and use the visa waiver program to immigrate as a tourist. Then, when arriving in Boston, pick up the green card, drive up to Canada, and come back with the greencard. If possible, this would be WAY easier than the transportation letter.

But is this legally possible or a really stupid idea? What will immigration say if I enter as a tourist while being a permanent resident?

Edited by kensey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Bad idea. I strongly advise against anything that differs from the official way of doing things. You'll make your self suspect later on with the authorities.

I agree with EmilyW: have someone overnight your GC to you via FedEx or another private courier service. This is by far the best solution I can think of.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

1 hour ago, kensey said:

I left my green card in the US. I know that I'd need to obtain a transportation letter but it will definitely complicate things because of the waiting time for appointment which guarantees I'll miss my flight  and various work appointments.

I was thinking about another option:

Fill out an ESTA form and use the visa waiver program to immigrate as a tourist. Then, when arriving in Boston, pick up the green card, drive up to Canada, and come back with the greencard. If possible, this would be WAY easier than the transportation letter.

But is this legally possible or a really stupid idea? What will immigration say if I enter as a tourist while being a permanent resident?

This is way to complicated to say the least. Also it is misreprensentation and could cause alot of headaches for you if go this route. Why not have someone get it for you and then mail it to you in the country you are in?

The best idea is what others have said: Have someone send it to you through FEDEX as fast as possible.

If for some reason that is not an option, the other way out I see is to use the procedure in place when a green card is lost/stolen abroad. As far as I understand, you will have to go to the consulate and file a form to get travel documents https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a

If they approve your petition, they will give you papers to get back and you will have to get a new green card when you come back. It can be tricky because you have not lost it nor did it get stolen, but if you tell them you left it at home they will probably roll their eyes and give you the form anyway. 

As others have said....very bad plan!  Especially because it won't work and you will have wasted the time you could have been pursuing other options.  You would not get your ESTA application approved anyway...that system cross references with USCIS information and your LPR status would be revealed.  There are a couple of very limited situations in which a green card holder can entire the US on a visitor vIsa  --  forgetting to travel with your green card is not one of them.

2 hours ago, Coco8 said:

If for some reason that is not an option, the other way out I see is to use the procedure in place when a green card is lost/stolen abroad. As far as I understand, you will have to go to the consulate and file a form to get travel documents https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a

You are mistaken. A transportation letter would be the way to go, given the circumstances which you describe. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A quick Google search shows you can probably head to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy, as the officials there can write for you what's known as a "transportation letter", do note there may be a fee involved, and you will require your foreign passport — This letter will grant you access to the U.S. in place of your green card for that one-time entry only. An example document is attached below.

You should keep your green card with you on person at all times.

transportation-letter-for-LPR.jpg.66b8bf01e259cd30f5571a29a7392e02.jpg

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's a link for how to apply for a transportation letter, which is exactly what your scenario is: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/india/13974/2013pdfs/CBPTLApplication.pdf

Edit: Might be for India only, but you get the idea. Should be the same for any country, really. Look for the one for your local consulate or embassy.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

It would be a lot cheaper to Fed Ex the card, not sure about the implications of that though. However, I do know how expensive a transportation letter is as I had to get one in December. I emailed them, you can ring them on certain days at certain times, but that applied to the London Embassy, so might be different if you're at a different embassy.  They wont give you a date to attend the embassy until you have paid the fee and given them details they ask for,  then you need photos, your passport a summary of what has happened and a police report. You haven't lost yours or had it stolen like i did, so you might not need this.

It's shocking the price they charge you for a letter/s. Once you go to the embassy you will get two sealed envelopes which you aren't allowed to open, one to be given to the airline on your way out and the other for border control. No doubt you will get secondary, well I did!  Good luck which ever way you decide to go, but please don't go for a visa waiver it is solely for tourists and I feel it will backfire badly on you!

Edited by shell20

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

1 hour ago, Hypnos said:

You are mistaken. A transportation letter would be the way to go, given the circumstances which you describe. 

If you got to the actual form, on the top it says "transportation letter" or "boarding foil". https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-131a.pdf?download=1 

However, now I also found another form that allows you to enter without passport or visa that is called "transportation letter". This could be used too and and it seems it does not require you to get a new green card when you get back (which the other does because it is for stolen/lost)

Form:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-193

Instructions depend on the consulate, here is for Rome: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/italy/217417/pdf/Transportation-Letter.pdf

But basically, one would have to go to a consulate. It costs $585.

1 hour ago, shell20 said:

It would be a lot cheaper to Fed Ex the card, not sure about the implications of that though. However, I do know how expensive a transportation letter is as I had to get one in December. I emailed them, you can ring them on certain days at certain times, but that applied to the London Embassy, so might be different if you're at a different embassy.  They wont give you a date to attend the embassy until you have paid the fee and given them details they ask for,  then you need photos, your passport a summary of what has happened and a police report. You haven't lost yours or had it stolen like i did, so you might not need this.

It's shocking the price they charge you for a letter/s. Once you go to the embassy you will get two sealed envelopes which you aren't allowed to open, one to be given to the airline on your way out and the other for border control. No doubt you will get secondary, well I did!  Good luck which ever way you decide to go, but please don't go for a visa waiver it is solely for tourists and I feel it will backfire badly on you!

Unfortunately FedEx is difficult as I don't have anyone with keys to my apartment there, so I'd first have to fed ex the keys the other way, that all costs time. I guess I'll have to go the proper route and do the transportation letter. Do you get the 2 envelopes the same day you go the embassy? Unfortunately in Germany there is a 3 day waiting time to get an appointment. The phone line to the USCIS is tape only, no way to go around the electronic appointment system, and yes, it's expensive. This whole immigration thing, I always get the impression we are made to jump through hoops for nothing, all my information is in their system anyway, oh well. And to those who ask how one could possibly travel without the card, when I packed my stuff I mistook my old employment authorization card for the green card, and packed that one instead. They look kind of similar, should have thrown it away long time ago.

Edited by kensey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.