Have Faith

Permanent Resident Petitioning Spouse From the Philippines

21 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Once I got my greencard and go back to the Philippines to marry my boyfriend, which is more advisable--- should I file his petition papers once I get back to the U.S, or wait it out to become a US citizen?

Which wait would be shorter?

The visa for spouse of permanent residents for the Philippines is limited, so I wonder which option would be best?

Thank you so much!

What is your timeline? (Please fill it in when you get a chance)

How long before you become a citizen? Remember, the citizenship process can take from 10 months to a year to complete.

You should file after you marry regardless if you are a permanent resident or citizen. That way you can get he ball rolling. 

A permanent resident petitioning for a spouse takes 1.5 - 2 years.

A citizen petitioning a spouse takes 1 year.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

You don't say how you got your GC. who is petitioning for you?

if it is through family, you would have to wait 5 years to file for citizenship, so it would be best to marry and file as a LPR, which can take up to 2 years

so there is some missing information

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

What is your timeline? (Please fill it in when you get a chance)

How long before you become a citizen? Remember, the citizenship process can take from 10 months to a year to complete.

You should file after you marry regardless if you are a permanent resident or citizen. That way you can get he ball rolling. 

A permanent resident petitioning for a spouse takes 1.5 - 2 years.

A citizen petitioning a spouse takes 1 year.

Hi Nuestra, thank you.

I have yet to get my green card f2b category. I am just wondering if it would be much faster to become a USC first (which would take 5 years).

So all in all, once i get my GC, it would be around that 1.5 to 2 years time?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

You don't say how you got your GC. who is petitioning for you?

if it is through family, you would have to wait 5 years to file for citizenship, so it would be best to marry and file as a LPR, which can take up to 2 years

so there is some missing information

Hello aleful!

My mom (LPR for 10 years) petitioned me under f2b category - unmarried child, over 21.

I was just wondering, because Philippine visa applications take so much longer, and my spouse by then would be falling under f1 category since im not a USC (correct me if im wrong).

Filed: Timeline

It takes 2 years for a green card holder to petition for a husband.  If you file in 2017, then your husband could get a visa in 2019.

It takes 1 year for a US citizen to petition for a husband.  If you wait for US citizenship when you qualify in 2022 and file immediately for your husband, then it would be 2023 for his visa.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

It takes 2 years for a green card holder to petition for a husband.  If you file in 2017, then your husband could get a visa in 2019.

It takes 1 year for a US citizen to petition for a husband.  If you wait for US citizenship when you qualify in 2022 and file immediately for your husband, then it would be 2023 for his visa.

Oh thanks! But wont the wait be longer than 2 years, because we are from the Philippines (oversubscribed country) and visas for my spouse by then would be under the f1 category (which is still on 2006 priority date).

Filed: Timeline

A green card holder filing for a spouse is a F2a case.  Look at the current Visa Bulletin.  The current PD for the F2a category from the PI is July 2015.   That's a current wait of 2 years.

The F1 category is for a USC to petition for a son or daughter.  The F1 category would never apply to your husband.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

A green card holder filing for a spouse is a F2a case.  Look at the current Visa Bulletin.  The current PD for the F2a category from the PI is July 2015.   That's a current wait of 2 years.

The F1 category is for a USC to petition for a son or daughter.  The F1 category would never apply to your husband.

Oh i see! Thank you for clearing that one up!

Timeline

We're in the same boat . Am going home this October to marry my gf(mother of my 2 kids) so that I can start to,petition them as what Aleful also suggested to me rather than waiting to be a citizen and wait 4 more years for me. I was an f2b so need to be single and my 2 kids were my derivatives.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, delish said:

We're in the same boat . Am going home this October to marry my gf(mother of my 2 kids) so that I can start to,petition them as what Aleful also suggested to me rather than waiting to be a citizen and wait 4 more years for me. I was an f2b so need to be single and my 2 kids were my derivatives.

Wow good for you and your family! Have been postponing my marriage plans as well for this, even lost a former fiancee. Imagine waiting for a decade.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just want to share what we did recently.

My gf was petitioned as F1 and arrived in the US last Dec 2016. She received her green card on Feb 2017 and returned here in the Philippines this March. We then got married and while she was here, we prepared the Forms I-130 and I-130A.

She returned to US on Apr 1 and filed the petition on Apr 6. She received the Notice of Action (Form I-797C) on April 21, 2017. I now have my priority date.

Edited by rj29

Timeline
2 hours ago, rj29 said:

Just want to share what we did recently.

My gf was petitioned as F1 and arrived in the US last Dec 2016. She received her green card on Feb 2017 and returned here in the Philippines this March. We then got married and while she was here, we prepared the Forms I-130 and I-130A.

She returned to US on Apr 1 and filed the petition on Apr 6. She received the Notice of Action (Form I-797C) on April 21, 2017. I now have my priority date.

Omg will be doing that soon! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Hello, I just want to ask something. My husband is an LPA in AZ. We got married in the PH last Sept 2016 and when he got back in US, he already filed for an I-130. Our PD is on November 2016. Do you know how long ours will take? I'm so clueless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.