38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline
30 minutes ago, ChrisCanuck said:

My opt ended in aug 31st and you are granted 60 days after to leave. Based on that I'm currently around 100 days of overstay.

do they give you 60 days to leave before they count it as overstaying or is your authorized stay extended for 60 days? I'm not sure how it is counted and if they do not extend your stay then you only have 20 days till the 3 year ban.

good luck

1 hour ago, Georgia16 said:

You are in Canada and your wife submit a petition for a spouse visa. It takes around a year to get. You can visit but not live in the US all this time. 

After you get the visa you get your GC. You might have to have a waiver for your overstay. 

Honest it would be a lot easier to just stay and get the GC now you are here and just miss your sisters wedding. Sounds hard but it is what it is.

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Given the time frame you're under, it's a choice of living with your spouse and adjusting or going to the wedding, waiting a year from when her gets citizenship/changes your petition, and risk not visiting/being banned for your overstay. 

Filed: Country:
Timeline
3 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Given the time frame you're under, it's a choice of living with your spouse and adjusting or going to the wedding, waiting a year from when her gets citizenship/changes your petition, and risk not visiting/being banned for your overstay. 

buy a big tv, good speaker and a nice Web cam. send those to your sister. then get a good Web cam and good mic for you then you can Mc the wedding from Florida. think of these as I'm sorry I couldn't attend gifts and still get her a really nice gift.

good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

If given the choice of one day at a wedding or over a year being separated from my spouse it is not a difficult decision.
Surely your sister would chose her spouse over attending your wedding if the shoe was on the other foot. I think I would
kill my spouse if he put priority on his sister's wedding. :o

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wanted to be sure she didn't marry a usc to immigrate. When you leave you will be stick in Canada because of the overstay. If you beat the bar flag it will shorten the time apart as you won't be hassling with a waiver.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 is usually D/S so maybe no overstay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

There is also the Expedite option, always a bit of a guess if you can get to expedite your AP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

DO NOT LEAVE! Seriously, u want to make this immigration journey harder then it is? Overatay is forgiven when married to a USC. 

Sorry, its just a wedding...lots of us have missed importanr events and lots of relatives (including parents) have missed our events. Welcome to the world of immigration. 

At least it isnt a death. Tell ur sister ur sorry..ita just a wedding it will go by quick. Ur life would be impacted by going home tbh. Why make this journey harder on u? 

Timeline

And their is NO way u will get a visitor visa during the waiting process. 

This will cost u more money in the long run. If its worth it to be seperated 1.5ish years then go to the wedding. Ur wife will be able to visit u during this time. 

Timeline

OP is Canadian

Timeline

Yes and i know tons of canadians getting denied..plus hes already overstayed even tho just a bit...they r stopping lots of people i know crossing to "visit" a bf/gf. I know 5+ that have had to witchdraw application. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You are a bad hombre.  You are SOL because you chose to overstay.

You have two choices; 1) stay in the US to AOS and miss your sister's wedding, or 2) go to your sister's wedding and wait around a year for an immigration visa with no chances to visit because of your overstay.

There is absolutely no way that your wife will receive her oath and for you to get AP in time.  A wedding is not a reason for an expedite.  It will take at around 90 days for you to get AP.  That's not enough time between your wife's interview and your sister's wedding.

Best of luck.

Do not leave! Many of us have dealt with disappointed family members when we haven't been able to get home for important events. They get over it! Has you sister decided on a honeymoon? Encourage them to come visit you!

Adjustment of Status

Nov-07-2014 Sent I-130,I-485, I-131, I-765 to Chicago via USPS Express Mail

Nov-10-2014 AOS Delivered

Nov-14-2014 NOA Date

Dec-12-2014 (Day 35) Biometrics Taken

Jan-2-2015 (Day 56)Text MSGs received - interview date -2/5/15!

Feb-2-2015 - EAD/AP arrived

Feb-5-2015 - Interview day. GC in production

Filed: Timeline

RIP.

do you want to die at the hands of your sister because u ddnt go to her wedding, or at the hands of your wife because u left and couldnt come back for at least a year.

On the bright side, you have choices in death.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.