16 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, freelife2010md said:

Receiving SSI doesn't disqualify your wife from petitioning for you, you'll get to read that in form i864 instructions when you fill it, she can't use her SSI income to sponsor you and it's good that you're having a joint sponsor just make sure her income meets the 125% guidelines. However, I'm strongly recommending you to contact an immigration attorney ASAP as the USCIS or most importantly the consular team at the embassy will be very harsh to you and they'll demand evidence that your wife is ln a good state of mind to get married. Feel free to message me privately in case you needed any advice. Good luck

6 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Ignore all the wrong information in this thread.

Your wife receiving public benefits has ZERO affect on the petition for you when there is a qualified Joint Sponsor.

Your wife is the Petitioner/Sponsor.  She will need to file an I-864.  It's fine that she is receiving public assistance since her mom is your Joint Sponsor.

Her mom would be the Joint Sponsor.  She files her own I-864.

6 hours ago, freelife2010md said:

Totally agree! It's mentioned in the official i864 instructions! Receiving means tested public benefits doesn't disqualify your petitioner. It's going to be better for him however to verify his petitioner mental capacity to get married! Note that consular officers are having absolute power to deny his case or put it on administrative processing indefinitely in case they got skeptical at the interview of his spouse mental health especially that he's FROM MENA COUNTRY 

100% agree with everything mentioned above.

Her receiving SSI will not affect his petition or case as long as his mother in-laws income meets or exceeds the minimum requirements. In order for his wife to receive SSI for bi polar disorder, she had to have proof in the first place; all he needs his wife to do is get the proof that she's unable to work because of her illness, but is able to function in all other aspects of life.

My suggestion is have proof from a qualified doctor that her bi polar disorder does not prevent her from living a typical life or impairs her ability to make decisions for herself. Many people get put on SSI due to bi polar disorder.. this is not something abnormal, but just make sure that you have proof that your relationship is bonafide and that she has the mental capacity to makes decisions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.