databit

The end of diversity visas, unskilled immigrant admissions, and family chain visas?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
3 hours ago, AP16 said:

These numbers surely corroborate your opinion. I agree. And I haven't been here for long, so I may be jumping to conclusions. But I took in consideration to ask that question - among other things but more than anything - Healthcare and tuitions. 

From what I've been reading, tuitions in this country raised twice as much as any other service in the US. And I don't think wages are following this raise. I see people that go to college and have to work full time to pay for it, which obviously reflects on the school performance. 21 years old drowning in debt because of school. Even public universities here are expensive, something I just cannot wrap my mind around. Might be cultural shock. But going to a public university and realize you have to pay a fortune for tuitions and on top of that access codes, textbooks, parking , copies, sounds just absurd and counter productive. How can it be good for the economy to create professionals that leave the university already full of debt, with very small acquisition power?

Healthcare, in my opinion, is absolutely chaotic. I was watching the Sanders vs Cruz debate over it on Tuesday and it honestly made me scared. It looks like the most menial medical procedure here is extremely expensive and health insurance is just as expensive, plus health insurance companies have the discretion of choosing to pay or not for your expenses. I saw terrifying accounts of people that have serious illness and just do not treat because they can't afford it, either because health insurance is too expensive or because some company refused to cover it.

My wife got a job where she is being harassed and overworked, and when I told her she should quit immediately I was told by her parents she should suck it up because the health insurance is very good and we will not find another like it. So I just wonder, are some Americans trapped in jobs they do not like because of health insurance and a lot more just unprotected, unable to pay for healthcare if the need arises? Is the employer discretion growing to a point where they can keep such horrible working conditions to the point of pushing away americans and attracting desperate immigrants with no choice?

Like I said, I might be jumping to conclusions. I love thiseeing country, but some things here surprised me in a not very good way, specially healthcare, education and labor laws.

I agree with some of what you said and we have actually had some pretty in depth discussions in this forum in the past about the cost of tuition and healthcare and possible ways to lower them. Both were created by policies that weren't thoroughly thought out in my opinion and very short sighted. I see tuition as a bubble because in part it was fueled, like all bubbles, with credit(aka student loans). There are several other bubbles right now in play which I have pointed out like the equity bubble and, yes again, a real estate bubble. However, these are all bucking the trend(and are created again by misguided policies) of the larger picture which is deflationary pressures, and I find it funny that people are still looking, during one of the most deflationary periods in history, for inflation. For good measure here is 100 year historical chart:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1466/inflation-rates-100-year-historical-chart

To answer your question in bold, yes, in fact many Americans are. My wife used to be one of them and I too told her to quit. Only difference is her parents did not intervene and she did in fact walk away thankfully.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Alt measure of inflation via shadowstats...still no runaway inflation.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

Monetary inflation can only do so much. At the end of the day prices for most items have not risen in years. You know when the only time they do rise is though? Every Jan 1st, at least here in VT when minimum wage goes up, that same day if you stop in DD to get coffee they will tell you the price went up because minimum wage went up. And that's just one example but that's what happens folks there are no free lunches, at the end of the day it doesn't benefit them when they have to pay more anyway. And usually the pric inflation for those things is higher percentage wise than the hike was....

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!