David&Femke

Health Care in the U.S. [split topic]

150 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Seeking treatment for a major illness is not a medical choice.

Choosing the treatment is a choice.   There are varying levels of treatments for the same issue.   Some take longer than others to work but are cheaper.  Nothing says I need to own the Ferrari when all I need is a Camry to get the job done.  

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, FloridaMinsk said:

Choosing the treatment is a choice.   There are varying levels of treatments for the same issue.   Some take longer than others to work but are cheaper.  Nothing says I need to own the Ferrari when all I need is a Camry to get the job done.  

Absolutely agree with that, but you seem to contradict yourself when discussing this.  If one can afford nothing, there needs to be an option.

2 minutes ago, verneforchat said:

Pro life only when it suits my lifestyle.  :rofl:

I would love to stop paying for other people's treatments, just mine only. Except it does not work that way. I am in healthcare, and I know billing/financial costs of health care in the US. Without the insurance and other systems in place, health care will still remain way too expensive for the poor, or even the middle class.

Insurance makes health care a business.  Everyone should get their basics covered. Canada isnt going into debt and yet we have a two tier system in many provinces. But yet, people arent losing their homes or picking food vs broken legs.  No instead we bitched about a referral or a wait time.  Everyone complains about health care regardless of locale.   

But we spend more per month on health insurance than I paid out of taxes and yet I still have to spend out of pocket here? All my insurance does for me now is reduce my costs unless I pay the deductible.  Then I still pay 10% of the costs.  In a country that spends BILLIONS of dollars a year on their military, people need to pay out of pocket for breaking their arm? Thats okay with you? 

Out of pocket it costs 9k or more to have a baby here naturally.  It doubles if you have a csection and triples or quadruples if your baby has an issue.  I would never have a child in the USA.  Thankfully I was fixed, as paid for by my taxes, in Canada.   

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Insurance makes health care a business.  Everyone should get their basics covered. Canada isnt going into debt and yet we have a two tier system in many provinces. But yet, people arent losing their homes or picking food vs broken legs.  No instead we bitched about a referral or a wait time.  Everyone complains about health care regardless of locale.   

But we spend more per month on health insurance than I paid out of taxes and yet I still have to spend out of pocket here? All my insurance does for me now is reduce my costs unless I pay the deductible.  Then I still pay 10% of the costs.  In a country that spends BILLIONS of dollars a year on their military, people need to pay out of pocket for breaking their arm? Thats okay with you? 

Out of pocket it costs 9k or more to have a baby here naturally.  It doubles if you have a csection and triples or quadruples if your baby has an issue.  I would never have a child in the USA.  Thankfully I was fixed, as paid for by my taxes, in Canada.   

I am not sure why you are quoting me, but I agree with you.

1 minute ago, FloridaMinsk said:

There are people who make too much money for medicare but yet cannot afford insurance or out of pocket treatment.  This is the majority of the population.  The people that choose to pay a fine or penalty for not having insurance because they cant afford the option and would have to make the choice of food or a hospital visit.  Do you not understand this demographic of people?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Absolutely agree with that, but you seem to contradict yourself when discussing this.  If one can afford nothing, there needs to be an option.

There is always an option.   And sorry but if someone has nothing the last thing they need to do is burden their family with more debt.   

5 minutes ago, verneforchat said:

I am not sure why you are quoting me, but I agree with you.

It somehow put your name up for their quote.  Really odd little bug there.  

Or not their quote but either way, obviously not an argument against you. :)

Edited by NikLR
Clairity

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Gross misunderstanding of people that they can avail of 'designer' treatments.

Comparing types of car to treatment choices. Shaking my head at this.

There are very limited treatment choices. It's not like a fast food restaurant when you choose from the $1 menu or a la carte. 

Most people don't have a choice of treatment. Treatment is based on risk and benefit, not how expensive or how fashionable it is.

Edited by verneforchat

Timeline
Just now, verneforchat said:

There are very limited treatment choices. It's not like a fast food restaurant when you choose from the $1 menu or a la carte. 

Most people don't have a choice of treatment. Treatment is based on risk and benefit, not how expensive or how fashionable it is.

I don't agree with the car analogy either, but I do agree that if you want better it can be more costly.

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

There are people who make too much money for medicare but yet cannot afford insurance or out of pocket treatment.  This is the majority of the population.  The people that choose to pay a fine or penalty for not having insurance because they cant afford the option and would have to make the choice of food or a hospital visit.  Do you not understand this demographic of people?

I take the fine on Obamacare.   I pay for medical costs out of pocket because I have budgeted to allow.    This is why I hope health savings accounts get a boost when Trump kills Obamacare.   

A lot of my coworkers do the same.  None of us are poor. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Honestly I preferred my birthing experience here in the USA mainly due to our hospital providing private rooms for everyone.

Timeline
1 minute ago, FloridaMinsk said:

I take the fine on Obamacare.   I pay for medical costs out of pocket because I have budgeted to allow.    This is why I hope health savings accounts get a boost when Trump kills Obamacare.   

A lot of my coworkers do the same.  None of us are poor. 

One cannot budget for emergency surgery or chemo most times

Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

I don't agree with the car analogy either, but I do agree that if you want better it can be more costly.

And that burden is on the patient sometimes, not on everyone.

But that is applicable to only a small section of health disorders.

For cancer, there isn't a vast array of options, only 2 at any given time usually, or just 1. Sometimes none.

For myopia, I have the option of wearing glasses or doing Lasik or PRK. Which I did, Lasik. Since it was elective, no one covers it. It was out of pocket for me 100%. 

Again, this is applicable to only certain disease conditions and not all.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, verneforchat said:

If we went to a no insurance system then it would most certainly fall into these lines.   

Treatment is based that way you mentioned because insurance is trying to pay for as little as possible.   Why can't the consumer make that choice like we do in every other commodity purchase.  

4 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Honestly I preferred my birthing experience here in the USA mainly due to our hospital providing private rooms for everyone.

Didn't have an issue with that in my locale.  Beyond the dr who actually did my c-section, my hospital experience was great.  Private birth room, private room aftercare for 3 days and then home visits by an RN.  In BC and Alberta you can pay extra for private rooms always (or have insurance that covers it.)  But as I was a c-section, it was just provided. 

Edited by NikLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.