The Nature  Boy

Right-to-work’ movement claims victory in Missouri, eyes NH next

20 posts in this topic

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/06/right-to-work-movement-claims-victory-in-missouri-eyes-nh-next.html

Republican Gov. Eric Greitens signed legislation on Monday making Missouri the latest “right-to-work” state, as the growing movement sets its sights next on New Hampshire – hoping to break into one of the labor unions’ last remaining strongholds.

Legislation advancing in the New Hampshire capital, if approved, would make the state the first in the Northeast to go “right-to-work.” The measure, which bars unions from forcing employees to join or pay dues, is set for a vote in the state’s House next week – after having passed the Senate.

The push is the latest sign of labor unions’ diminishing clout, and how Republican gains at the state level are having a broad impact on policy, amid support for such legislation from the Trump White House.

In Missouri, the new Republican governor declared Monday on Twitter that his state is “open for business,” after making it the 28th with a right-to-work policy. 

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Today, I signed Right to Work. This is about more jobs - Missourians are ready to work, and now our state is open for business!

In January, Kentucky GOP Gov. Matt Bevin signed a similar bill after it breezed through the Republican-led legislature.

But even though Republicans won the governorship in New Hampshire last November, the right-to-work bill is still a toss-up in Concord.

State Republican Rep. Stephen Schmidt, chairman of the House labor committee, said some Republicans are not supporting the bill. While he personally backs it, Schmidt voiced doubts about the bill’s passage, saying it could come down to one or two votes.

“I believe it will be a very tight vote one way or another,” he told Fox News.

Should the bill make it to Republican Gov. Chris Sununu’s desk, he is expected to sign it. A similar measure had moved through the legislature in 2011, but had been vetoed by then-Gov. John Lynch, a Democrat.

The local branch of the AFL-CIO said the bill would only inhibit working families’ ability to bargain for what’s best for them.

“This bill will silence the teachers who advocate on behalf of smaller class sizes for our children, the transportation employees who negotiate for the equipment they need to keep the roads clear after a blizzard and the police and firefighters who negotiate for the staffing levels they need to keep us safe,” the New Hampshire union said.

Despite stiff resistance from unions, the right-to work-movement shows little sign of slowing down. Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and West Virginia have passed similar legislation in the last five years, in addition to Kentucky and now Missouri.

Some Republicans in Congress also are pushing national versions. Last week, Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., introduced the National Right to Work Act, which would amend the National Labor Relations Act to give American workers the “right” not to be forced to join a union or pay union dues.

“Right-to-work states, like South Carolina, have seen first-hand that job creation and economic growth comes from expanded freedoms. We need to expand common-sense reforms, like those in the National Right to Work Act to protect American workers and create jobs,” Wilson said.

Like at the state level, the move is likely to face significant pushback from labor unions.

“Right to work is a lie dressed up in a feel-good slogan. It doesn’t give workers freedom—instead, it weakens our right to join together and bargain for better wages and working conditions,” AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said in a statement responding to Wilson’s legislation.

Trumka accused Republicans of trying to kill off organized labor.

“Its end goal is to destroy unions. Numbers don’t lie. Workers in states with right to work laws have wages that are 12 percent lower. That’s because unions raise wages for all workers, not just our members,” he said.

But President Trump in the White House represents another boost for the movement. While President Barack Obama opposed such legislation, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer made clear last week that Trump supports the efforts in New Hampshire and beyond.

“The president believes in right to work. He wants to give workers and companies the flexibility to do what's in the best interest for job creators,” Spicer said.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

No it means it can't be a closed shop. You don't have to join the union to work there

Was that a necessity for every worker in the state? or just those particular professions?

1 minute ago, verneforchat said:

Was that a necessity for every worker in the state? or just those particular professions?

It is my understanding that in Non right to work states, you have to join a Union and pay dues if it is a Union shop 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

It is my understanding that in Non right to work states, you have to join a Union and pay dues if it is a Union shop 

I am not asking for your understanding, I am asking for the facts. When you say Union shop, so it affected only particular professions/businesses?

Can you or other posters confirm that every worker had to pay dues/enroll in union in this state, or was it for certain fields/professions? 

Edited by verneforchat

2 hours ago, verneforchat said:

I am not asking for your understanding, I am asking for the facts. When you say Union shop, so it affected only particular professions/businesses?

Can you or other posters confirm that every worker had to pay dues/enroll in union in this state, or was it for certain fields/professions? 

Pay me. Then I will give you the factsame you desire 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dakine10 said:

It's against the TOS to insult EIEIO using olde English.

Next time use new English.

But Olde English is so in fashion!

59 minutes ago, Dakine10 said:

It's against the TOS to insult EIEIO using olde English.

Next time use new English.

Oddly enough even when I butcher something it turns out ok .. Yup olde English is what I was going for 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

We'll see what they can accomplish at our neighbors' to the east, but I doubt it will happen in VT any time soon

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

Oddly enough even when I butcher something it turns out ok .. Yup olde English is what I was going for 

I noticed that too. Sometimes it turns out even better than what you meant to say.

QCjgyJZ.jpg