JimRaynor

How long does the K1 Fiance Visa process take?

15 posts in this topic

Thanks for the response. My fiance lives in the Philippines I'll just add, and I live in the US. Also, how much money should I have before I do this process? And what if my previous years' tax returns don't add up to the income requirement, but my current job is pulling in more than enough money to meet the income requirement?

Edited by JimRaynor

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Time frame depends on each individual case... I've seen some here on Visa Journey that were 3 months, some that were over 6 months. I had an immigration lawyer tell me that she has been seeing cases take 8 months. If you get an RFE (request for evidence) that will make the time frame longer. Making sure you turn in a thorough file will help avoid an RFE - I spent HOURS researching what to include, how much to include, etc. YouTube has some great videos from people who have successfully navigated the K1 process. The length of time also depends on the embassy. You can search here on Visa Journey to see how long other people's cases are taking in each embassy.

As for money, I think as long as you are currently making 100% above the poverty line, you should be fine. For the adjustment of status, I believe you need to make 125% above the poverty line. You will also need a letter from your employer giving your employment status. But the financial information doesn't come until after you've submitted the initial application.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Here is a comparison chart ^^^

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Here is the K1 flow chart ^^^    It spells out wait timeframes step by step.

:guides:

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The chart calculate the basic general application fees for each visa process.  You have to add in personal costs such as document fees, airfare, postage, wedding, etc etc.  Those vary couple by couple, consulate by consulate, and case by case.

Edited by LionessDeon

14 minutes ago, JimRaynor said:

Thanks. What are some other things to consider beyond that total cost though? This doesn't include buying your fiance her plane ticket, the cost of the wedding after getting to the US within the first 90 days, etc.

You said your fiance is in the Philippines. If she is not near Manila, you will have transportation and hotel for the Medical Exam and Interview.

Naturalization Timeline

01/05/2020.......Filed N-400 online.

01/07/2020.......I-751 transferred from Texas Service Center to Lee's Summit.

01/31/2020.......Biometrics Appointment.

03/06/2020.......Interview Scheduled 04/16/2020.

06/16/2020.......Interview Rescheduled 07/08/2020

07/08/2020.......Approved

08/20/2020.......Oath Ceremony

N400 January 2020 filers spread sheet  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bxlnPL1_Ln6rGAZcTwEf6e-dNjQkBmr02wYi6baeIF0/edit#gid=0

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

our fiance  visa took 13 months from the date we filed until the interview.  It was over 10 months for security checks.

It's probably prudent to be able to show 125% from the start.  If you can find a way to do that it will be smoother. (second job? rental income? reduce and debts)  It looks like the poverty level is $16,240  (if you will be a family of 2) so it looks like $20,300 is 125%  (check my numbers for yourself please)

It seems like making 4000 extra over the course of a year is do-able (such as an extra 85 a week)    In my mind that will make your application a bit more air-tight if you can swing it.   I have seen people be successful with a lot less.....

That said there are lots and lots of expenses to come and you should think ahead about these  (travel to see your fiance,time in a hotel waiting for the interview and paperwork,  tickets home, Adjustment of Status, Removal of Conditions, Citizenship)   If I had it to do over, I'd do the spouse visa. The extra steps with the K-1 seemed straightforward on paper, but doing them was another layer of things to do while also trying to plan a wedding, accumulate evidence for AOS, file income taxes, and generally get him situated in the US (state ID, job, etc. etc)

Good luck. 

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is there anything more current than this? I filed I-130 petition to bring my wife's daughter over years ago.  Since Trump, the line has practically stopped moving.  Maybe two weeks advance in the last six months.  Since she is still 11 months away if the line were moving, she is thinking maybe a K-1 would be a better idea but I fear that it might suffer from Trump also.  Hence the question.

12 minutes ago, gearheadgeek said:

Is there anything more current than this? I filed I-130 petition to bring my wife's daughter over years ago.  Since Trump, the line has practically stopped moving.  Maybe two weeks advance in the last six months.  Since she is still 11 months away if the line were moving, she is thinking maybe a K-1 would be a better idea but I fear that it might suffer from Trump also.  Hence the question.

K1 is for fiances of US citizens. Not stepdaughter.  

I130 is the only way. 

Also if you have questions create your own topic and don't hijack some old one..

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Roel said:

K1 is for fiances of US citizens. Not stepdaughter.  

I130 is the only way. 

Also if you have questions create your own topic and don't hijack some old one..

Surely stepdaughter can look for a husband???   

The question was about K-1 processing time.  I thought that was the subject of this thread.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, gearheadgeek said:

Surely stepdaughter can look for a husband???   

The question was about K-1 processing time.  I thought that was the subject of this thread.

what does your step daughter looking for a husband have to do with anything?

if shes looking for a husband to move her to the US, it probably wont be looked on too kindly by anyone, including the US Government.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.