Angeluth12

How to move to the USA

49 posts in this topic

I'll make a standard list what options could be for people who want to move to the US:

1. Marry as US citizen, - However, in your case that isn't possible,
2. Participate in the DV Lottery.
3. Find a job in the US, H1-B visa, The chances however that your wife can transfer with you is small,
4, Ask for a transfer at your current job. Again no guarentee that your family will be transfered too,
5. Be special skilled like David Beckham or any kind of special skilled person.
6. Invest in a company that creates jobs for people and have at least 50% or more stocks of it.

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

To add that H1-B is non immigrant but if you can wait 6+ years, a company could sponsor you for a greencard.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

5 hours ago, Bayoubrit said:

Thank you for clearing up the DV mis-information, being from the UK and not included i wasn't sure so gave a wishy washy answer like ' i don't think' 

interesting that the EU countries are ellagiable, i might have to look at it and see why.

In brief: Eligibility is determined on a country by country basis, not on some foreign political grouping that changes members regularly (usually adding rather than leaving, but still).  The point of the diversity visa is to give visas to people from countries that don't have high rates of immigration to the US (using a predetermined calculation). Hence why the U.K., China, India, Mexico etc are not eligible.

9 hours ago, Angeluth12 said:

Hi, I am an European-citizen living in the UK, England and I would like to know what are the legal ways to move to America to work, live and eventually study with my family(Me my wife and child). I have no knowledge about what are the first steps I need to take, I have read that for each activity I need a different visa and that there is a new type of visa(am not sure about this) called Diversity Visa. Can those that migrated to the US explain what were the steps they took many thanks.

Angelo Joaquim 

If there is no family ties at all between you, your wife and child you have a difficult journey, not impossible but very difficult. Try the Diversity lottery, BUT only if you do not have dual UK and Portugal citizenship. Have two and it may stop application.

An easier option would be to go to Canada first, less risk, aim to be close to the border like Vancouver where the coast and mountains make it special (rumour ....less snow ,,,,).  

You are not moving because of BREXIT are you? You now have opportunities as companies will need staff to work in Europe, S.America ...... your language skills will help. The current situation and noise will go away. It could help as others suggested to get you an international job transfer.

Edited by Patient

Filed: Timeline
46 minutes ago, Patient said:

If there is no family ties at all between you, your wife and child you have a difficult journey, not impossible but very difficult. Try the Diversity lottery, BUT only if you do not have dual UK and Portugal citizenship. Have two and it may stop application.

This is not correct. Dual citizenship does not preclude one from the DV lottery. It does not matter how many other citizenships one may have, what matters is the country of birth. If one's country of birth is eligible, the citizenship(s) is completely irrelevant.  

56 minutes ago, Patient said:

Try the Diversity lottery, BUT only if you do not have dual UK and Portugal citizenship. Have two and it may stop application.

Where on earth do you get that info?? It's totally false. 

Did not write .... 1 application for you as dual but if wife from UK you will not be able to have 2 applications .... more English to learn. 

Edited by Patient

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, Patient said:

An easier option would be to go to Canada first, less risk, aim to be close to the border like Vancouver where the coast and mountains make it special (rumour ....less snow ,,,,).  

You are not moving because of BREXIT are you? You now have opportunities as companies will need staff to work in Europe, S.America ...... your language skills will help. The current situation and noise will go away. It could help as others suggested to get you an international job transfer.

I did not understand what you mean when you say "if there are no family ties between me and my family my journey is difficult", can you  explain in more detail please?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I will just reply to every one in one single post instead.

I am an Architect and specializing myself(Phd) in designing Zero Carbon and Sustainable Buildings( Sustainable Design Consultant basically) and my wife is an Interior Designer(also Portuguese), I am not far from being in a management position but today I'm not in a management position. Even if I move to America it would never be to live definitely but always temporary about 4 to 5 years(I don't know if that makes it easier for me and if there is a system where I can keep renovating my visa every year or so) and never to live for all my life.

I did not understand what you Patient mean when you say its easier to stay in Canada and close to the boarder (is that to make me feel close to America or something?) and to answer your other question, am not moving because of BREXIT, I am a Portuguese citizen and even though I work in the UK and have migrated here I don't have the intention of setting permanent residence here this is also a temporary "home", I like America if I move there I know I will have the opportunity to do good and explore business opportunities there and even create jobs with some of my ideas but I want to visit the country first and even if I don't live there at least I will try to make regular visits with my family to visit friends and so, and  BREXIT is causing English/British people to a foolish pride position where all of the sudden they seem to hate every one that is not from the UK, forgetting that the places where they spend 90% of their spare time(holidays) are in Europe but that's all good to me anyway (I won't discuss politics and my view on this unless someone asks ) however I don't have the patient to be in a social and nationalism fight with them as they will want to make the life of every non-UK citizen hard regardless of your contribution because they are not from "Europe" any more according to them.

What you Patient said about companies needing staff to work in other European Countries sounds good to, I do hold the same position and if you have more information about that please share as I am looking for ideas. 

And regarding the DV I will probably just try doing it to it sounds complicated but why not try !?

Just a quick question to y'all did you all became legal in America through the marriage route?

If you just want to live in the US a little bit, then your only option is the work visa. Find an employer willing to sponsor you and hope that they cannot find a US citizen that could do that job. Again, your family might not be able to go with you.

Visa lottery is not for you if you don't want to live in the USA permanently. You can't go just come and go, renewing some visa.  If you somehow win the visa lottery and get your green card, you will lose it if you leave USA for a long period of time.

Also, Trump is planning on limiting work visas, so not sure how that will work.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get your employer to second you to the US for a stint.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Angeluth12 said:

Just a quick question to y'all did you all became legal in America through the marriage route?

From my experience, that's the case for at least 90% of people on VJ.

2 hours ago, Patient said:

Did not write .... 1 application for you as dual but if wife from UK you will not be able to have 2 applications .... more English to learn. 

Wrong. You can have two applications, one for each spouse, because a spouse born in an ineligible country can "cross charge" to the other spouse's eligible country. I personally know a U.K. born and bred citizen who won this way and is currently living in the US with his family and their DV green cards.

to the OP, if you enter, please ensure you read the official instructions properly and don't base things off what you read on the net..I don't understand why people post about things like this when they don't actually know the rules!

1 hour ago, Angeluth12 said:

And regarding the DV I will probably just try doing it to it sounds complicated but why not try !?

I won DV but most immigrants to the US get green cards through family. 

DV is not complicated at all, in fact as long as you qualify (easy: eligible country and high school education, plus immigrant medical and no criminal record) it is by far the easiest, cheapest and fastest route to a green card. There is a lot of misinformation about DV on this thread making it seem more "complicated" than it is. But ignore the misinformation, instructions are simple and as long as you follow them it's easy. However: it IS a lottery and not a certainty, and as someone above said, it's not a super visitor visa, or just a work permit. If you don't want to live permanently in the US it's not the route to go.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.