35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, kp21 said:

Thank you so much!!! But heres my next question...our marriage cert stuff was mailed back to original office and now we have to wait probably weeks and weeks to get that back. I have a interim certificate from our officiant but it doesnt have my name change stuff on it. My I-94 expires on Feb 18th.....what should I do???:wacko:

That won't work for AOS, so you need to go to the local courthouse and get a certified copy of your marriage certificate. You do not apply for AOS in maiden name, you apply in married name, but only after you receive a copy of your official marriage certificate back from the court.

Apply for SSN in maiden name. Get it changed to married name once you have the EAD or green card in married name.

AOS mini guide >

Print out your I-94 info > https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94

Follow this guide for getting the SSN > http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Follow this guide for AOS > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The fees are listed here > http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

The fees for the I-765(EAD-work authorization) and I-131(AP-advance parole for travel) are waived when filed with a pending I-485, so include both of those too. It takes about 60-90 days to receive the EAD/AP combo card, which will allow you to work(along with an SSN) and re-enter the US when traveling abroad while waiting for the green card approval.

You need all the supporting documents for each form as well, so read the instructions for each one. You can also search here on VJ for what to include with each form if you get stumped. There are also example forms here on VJ you can look at when filling out the forms. They can be helpful.

And here are the details you need about whether or not you need to see a civil surgeon > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/551080-immunizations-ds-3025-or-i-693/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Recommended to get the SS card as soon as possible after arriving in the US.

If you got married in LA county it can take up to 8 weeks for them to record your marriage, you can't get a copy before that happens. I suggest that you complete the AOS package in the meanwhile so you're ready to send it as soon as the marriage certificate is available.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm glad my soon to be wife and I aren't in any hurry to get her EAD/SSN and finalize the whole AOS status the minute we get married (of course we will file soon after marriage though), seems many people are stressed out about getting to work right away. I understand everyone has a different scenario but honestly it takes time and we all know time is in the hands of the immigrations offices and workers hands unfortunately. Getting the right info on what to fill out and filling it out properly can be found easily enough on here if you do enough reading and searching. Sorry I can't help much and I will be looking into the same process soon, will even use this thread to help, haha.  Hope your able to get your AOS worked out and EAD to get your life back to normal, good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

I'm glad my soon to be wife and I aren't in any hurry to get her EAD/SSN and finalize the whole AOS status the minute we get married (of course we will file soon after marriage though), seems many people are stressed out about getting to work right away. I understand everyone has a different scenario but honestly it takes time and we all know time is in the hands of the immigrations offices and workers hands unfortunately. Getting the right info on what to fill out and filling it out properly can be found easily enough on here if you do enough reading and searching. Sorry I can't help much and I will be looking into the same process soon, will even use this thread to help, haha.  Hope your able to get your AOS worked out and EAD to get your life back to normal, good luck!

Go get your SSN though, it doesn't cost anything and everyone needs one. Many people have issues getting their SSN after marriage, so I suggest that you get it soon after she arrives when there's a lot of time left on the i-94. Like I said, it's simple and for free, no reason not to go get it. The AOS can wait if you don't want to file after marriage.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

i agree, and if you are that worried about working asap, do the CR1!!! 

Edited by caliliving

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

Help please!!!!

My first post on VJ but been using since we began our k1. Great site.

We just got married after xmas and have our Aos ready to send in. At least we thought we did. I have a bit of a criminal record (nothing too serious) and i suppllied all police certs and court record in the packet 3 and at the interview. No problems there. But apparently i have to send original police certs and original court docs in with the aos packet!?

When i went to the embassy interview in Spain they kept the originals. How am i supposed to provide them? Sorry if this is a common thread but i cant find an answer anywhere!

Thank you in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Scandi said:

Go get your SSN though, it doesn't cost anything and everyone needs one. Many people have issues getting their SSN after marriage, so I suggest that you get it soon after she arrives when there's a lot of time left on the i-94. Like I said, it's simple and for free, no reason not to go get it. The AOS can wait if you don't want to file after marriage.

Yes, I've read this too...so we will wait like 10 days I guess after she arrives and then go by the Social Security office and apply for one for her. Even though she doesn't plan on working we will do the EAD and submit an advanced parole just in case. I'm just saying in my reply that really the most important thing is that we are together and will finish our paper work accurately and in no rush for finalizing them (you know waiting for GC to arrive).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, javadown2 said:

Yes, I've read this too...so we will wait like 10 days I guess after she arrives and then go by the Social Security office and apply for one for her. Even though she doesn't plan on working we will do the EAD and submit an advanced parole just in case. I'm just saying in my reply that really the most important thing is that we are together and will finish our paper work accurately and in no rush for finalizing them (you know waiting for GC to arrive).

A lot of things other than work require a SSN.  Many states require a SSN to get a driver's license, and many banks require it to get a bank account, or to get on someone else's account.  We applied for my fiancé's (at the time) SSN a couple of days after she arrived before we got married, and got it in a couple weeks.  We changed her name after the GC arrived, and she didn't start working for about another year.  However, we were able to get her driver's license, and get her a bank account and on my bank account.

To the OP, you mentioned your I94 expiring Feb 18th.  That still gives you time to apply for the SSN in the maiden name, so I would do that as soon as possible.  Also, as a reminder, the AOS package does not have to be filed prior to the expiration date of the I94.  There is actually no time limit to file the AOS, but it is always a good idea to do it as soon as you can after marriage, just don't stress so much about there being a deadline.

Good Luck! 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I really don't understand what the big deal is about getting a SSN in your maiden name. You can always get your name changed after you get your EAD or, better yet, Green Card with your new name! Ok it will cost you a few extra hours of waiting at the SS office. Or maybe not (I was in and out in 30 minutes when I changed my SScard with "only valid for work with DHS authorization" to one with no restrictions after getting the GC).

And guess what, even if you don't officially change your name, you can still use your husband's name (just not when booking flights etc).

The SSN, on the other hand, is a pesky number necessary for virtually everything, so yeah, get that as soon as you can, even if you're not in a hurry to start working/traveling/being here in a legal status/etc.

5 hours ago, javadown2 said:

You can the SSN right after arrival.  With electronic I-94 you no longer have to wait.  But you must get it before the final 2 weeks of thr 90 days or else wait until the EAD.

People arent necessarily rushing to AOS because they want to work, but they want their green card. I agree that paperwork should be accurate even if you have a senae of urgency. Many adults are independent creatures.  Being in the" no status" or AOS limbo sucks.  You can't do anything.  So unless you enjoy sitting at home and being dependent on someone else, it can be difficult.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

People arent necessarily rushing to AOS because they want to work, but they want their green card.  Many adults are independent creatures.  Being in the" no status" or AOS limbo sucks.  You can't do anything.  So unless you enjoy sitting at home and being dependent on someone else, it can be difficult.  

Yep... That's the part I'm struggling with :jest: 

K1 Visa:
Spoiler

07/31/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

08/02/16....NOA1

09/12/16....NOA2 - 39 Days from NO1

09/24/16....Arrived to NVC / NVC Case # assigned

10/06/16....Packet 3 from Consulate (Email)

10/25/16....Medical Appointment

11/29/16....Visa Interview - (117 days from NOA1) APPROVED

12/02/16....Visa Issued

12/05/16....Visa Delivered

12/06/16....LAX POE (126 days from NOA1)

12/15/16 .... ** Married **

AOS:

Spoiler

01/07/17....  I-485 / I-131 / I-765 AOS Pack mailed to Chicago

01/20/17.... NOA1 (Hard copy received 01/26/2017)

02/13/17.... Biometrics Completed 

03/30/17.... Request for EAD Expedite 

04/12/17.... EAD Case Status changed to "Card in Production" 

04/18/17.... NOA2 (hardcopy) received for EAD and AP

04/24/17.... EAD & AP combo card in hand (94 days from NOA1)

09/25/17.... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!  (248 days from NOA1)

09/30/17.... Greencard in Hand. Woohoo :D

N-400 with Expedite under Section 319(b):

Spoiler

06/26/18....  Submit N-400 Case online, requesting 319(b) Expedite for overseas military orders. 

09/01/18....  Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

09/18/18....  Attended Biometrics

10/11/18....  N-400 interview (Scheduled at original Field Office in CA - we were now in VA waiting to transfer)

10/18/18....  Attended INFOPASS appt to explain my situation and have my case transferred to VA. The Military Liaison Officer in VA was fantastic to work with and had my file transferred with expedite. 

11/07/18....  N-400 Interview Scheduled (technology issue on the day forced us to reschedule appt)

11/09/18....  N-400 Interview - Take 2 - APPROVED!

11/09/18....  Oath Ceremony - *I am now a citizen!*

--- 136days, or 4 months and 14 days from application to Oath --- 

The lack of independence is why many people choose the CR1 route even if it means longer to live with your loved one.  Hang in there! I'm currently between jobs so I totally understand. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We got married a day after my fiance got here on her K1.  We went to apply for the SSN about a week after marriage (less then 10 days from arrival in the US) with a certified copy of our marriage certificate.  We tried to apply for the SSN in her married name and the SSN office would not let us.  They made us apply for it in her maiden name even though the certified marriage certificate is supposed to be legal proof of a name change.  We went to get her state ID here after waiting getting the SSN number.  They would not give us the state ID in Michigan because her maiden name was used on the SSN and it did not match her new name on the marriage certificate.  We had to then go back and get her name changed on her SSN and wait for a new SSN to get here and then go apply for the State of Michigan ID.  We couldn't get a joint bank account without the state ID or drivers license.  We applied for AOS/AP/EAD under her married name and just got issued that with her married name on it so that went in just fine with no RFE's.  The SSN office and Michigan Secretary of State office were both very difficult to deal with regarding what name is used where and took multiple trips to each to get everything.

This post might help. It shows our step-by-step process from K1 to citizenship (not complete yet). Good luck!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, javadown2 said:

You need to apply for the SSN as soon as you can though. Your I-94 which you need to apply for the SSN has an expiry date and to reapply for an I-94 is a PAIN! I sugguest get the SSN before your 14 day prior to expiring(i-94) window comes up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.