51 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
16 minutes ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

Yes you can. I filed in December and also live overseas with my fiancé. You just need to show intent to move back together. You can search about domicile on VJ. Also if you have lived with him for more than six months overseas then you might want to consider DCF (if offered in your country) as it only takes 3 months or less. 

How are you going to work out the income requirement for sponsoring your fiance? Is it sufficient to be paying taxes in the country you are living in outside the US?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Love & PEACE said:

How are you going to work out the income requirement for sponsoring your fiance? Is it sufficient to be paying taxes in the country you are living in outside the US?

US citizens are required to file taxes wherever they live in the world.  Without it, or an explanation due to not meeting income requirements to file a petition would be denied.

4 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

You still need to file taxes in the USA 

Yes you are right, and I have that requirement to file taxes in the US, as long as the tax rate in US is higher than the country I am working in. If I am paying in another country, I need to pay the difference to the US.

However since the taxes in Ireland are far higher, I never needed to pay anything to the US

Transborderwife is correct. You will have to resolve the US tax situation first. And apparently there is NO direct filing for Ireland.

I just skimmed through your other thread. You got some good advice there also. This will not be a quick and easy solution.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

25 minutes ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

Yes you can. I filed in December and also live overseas with my fiancé. You just need to show intent to move back together. You can search about domicile on VJ. Also if you have lived with him for more than six months overseas then you might want to consider DCF (if offered in your country) as it only takes 3 months or less. 

How long are you living outside the US, and at what stage of the K1 visa process do you plan to move back?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Love & PEACE said:

Yes I'm fortunate enough to have real estate investments in the US which will be enough for sponsoring since as you realize you can't use your overseas income as that job will presumably not be available in the states unless your company is transferring you back. I've also filed my taxes in USA, kept my USA bank accounts, USA credit cards, and California Drivers License. Also considering moving back a month before interview just to make sure the officer has no domicile concerns. 

April 22, 2020 - I-751 sent

April 23, 2020 - I-751 received at Lockbox 

April 29, 2020 - Check cashed
??? - didn’t receive text or email confirmation. Ugh!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Love & PEACE said:

Yes you are right, and I have that requirement to file taxes in the US, as long as the tax rate in US is higher than the country I am working in. If I am paying in another country, I need to pay the difference to the US.

However since the taxes in Ireland are far higher, I never needed to pay anything to the US

You still need to file with the IRS.  I said nothing about paying, simply filing.  You still need to file: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-about-international-individual-tax-matters#GeneralFAQs

11 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Transborderwife is correct. You will have to resolve the US tax situation first. And apparently there is NO direct filing for Ireland.

I just skimmed through your other thread. You got some good advice there also. This will not be a quick and easy solution.

Are you talking about my fiance's asylum status? I still need to find out how I can begin my K1 visa journey :-)

Edited by Love & PEACE
typo

Timeline
Just now, Love & PEACE said:

How long are you living outside the US, and at what stage of the K1 visa process do you plan to move back?

I've lived overseas for over 13 years. I'm going to move back a month before expected interview time. It's hard to find info on it as no too many people in our similar situations on VJ. Some say not to be concerned then others get flagged for domicile so I'm just being extra conservative.

3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

You still need to file with the IRS.  I said nothing about paying, simply filing.  You still need to file: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-about-international-individual-tax-matters#GeneralFAQs

Thanks for you help. I will look straight into this.

:-)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Love & PEACE said:

Thanks for you help. I will look straight into this.

:-)

I'd suggest finding an accountant familiar with filing with the IRS.  I'm sure there's one around there somewhere 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but have similar question which might be helpful to them if you know the answer. I usually file my taxes in December due to my tax situation being complicated. Will the consulate undertsand if I'm not able to provide the 2016 taxes (can provide 2013, 2014, 2015). But there is no way I will have 2016 taxes before my fiancé interview. I can provide a statement saying they are filed under extension.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but have similar question which might be helpful to them if you know the answer. I usually file my taxes in December due to my tax situation being complicated. Will the consulate undertsand if I'm not able to provide the 2016 taxes (can provide 2013, 2014, 2015). But there is no way I will have 2016 taxes before my fiancé interview. I can provide a statement saying they are filed under extension.

That part I'm unsure of 

Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

That part I'm unsure of 

Yes I tried asking before but nobody could answer. Will post my experience if there is an issue. Thanks anyway. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.