D&Wontheroad

I-751 - Travel abroad when Conditional Permanent Resident is Expired, I-751 is still processing

24 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Nick jason said:

Glad you were able to get in without it! I've read quite a few accounts where people were turned away. I'll try and post what they ask for of my wife after our vacation! 

Same! I hope you don't get too much trouble.. Anyway, $36 isn't too steep a price to pay for security. If I had seen your post timely I definitely would have applied for a visa!

Complete: AOS
Married 06/12/2014
08/02/14: Concurrent filing of i130, i485 and i765.

07/20/15: Green card received!! 

Complete: ROC

Package Mailed: 05/11/17

Received: 05/12/17

Money Order cashed: 05/12/17

NOA Received: 05/22/17

Biometrics Notice (dated): 5/20/17

Appt date: 06/05/17 (complete)

Approval notice: 9/11/2018 (received 9/15/2018)

Card received: 9/18/2018

😍02/05/19: Welcomed baby girl into our family 😍

Current: Naturalization

03/13/2019 - submitted online N400 and paid fee

03/26/2019 - received biometrics notice scheduled for 4/5

04/05/2019 - completed biometrics

10/12/2019 - received interview noticed scheduled for 11/16

11/16/2019 - interview

11/21/2019 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 8:37 PM, dburnt said:

I'm curious about the same thing, with a twist.  My I-751 includes a name change.  I'll take my letter and my marriage certificate of course.  While I'm not so worried about border crossings (I also travel to Canada a few times a year), I'm curious about re-entry after a cruise.  Would the agents there be familiar with the letters?

I'm wondering about this, too. My I-751 also includes a name change, and I will be traveling with letter and expired Green Card. Letter is under new married name. Green card is under maiden name. A-number is the same on both, and I will travel with my marriage license. My British passport also has married name with a official note saying that I am also known as my maiden name (I still use this for professional purposes). I hope this will be sufficient, but I would be more comfortable if I knew people had experience re-entry under similar circumstances. Anyone?

3 minutes ago, bluelikethat said:

I'm wondering about this, too. My I-751 also includes a name change, and I will be traveling with letter and expired Green Card. Letter is under new married name. Green card is under maiden name. A-number is the same on both, and I will travel with my marriage license. My British passport also has married name with a official note saying that I am also known as my maiden name (I still use this for professional purposes). I hope this will be sufficient, but I would be more comfortable if I knew people had experience re-entry under similar circumstances. Anyone?

I've travelled and re-entered several times since this post - a cruise, a  couple of land crossings (Canada) and an airport crossing - only once did the agent comment, and since I carry my marriage certificate, that was sufficient.

3 hours ago, dburnt said:

I've travelled and re-entered several times since this post - a cruise, a  couple of land crossings (Canada) and an airport crossing - only once did the agent comment, and since I carry my marriage certificate, that was sufficient.

Thanks so much, dburnt!

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 9/19/2017 at 1:20 PM, Nick jason said:

Just wanted to share a update for all who are wondering. My wife is a Indian citizen, she has a expired green card and is awaiting her 10 year green card. They have given her form i-797 which allows for work and travel while she awaits her new green card. We are travelling to mexico in October 2017. For all whom are in the same situation, you do need a Mexican visa. Travelling with a expired GC and form i-797 will not be enough to enter mexico. The visa process is simple, some states require a appointment and others don't. Be sure to look at the general and tourist visa requirements. In addition to what is listed, if he/she is applying as your dependent you will need original and copy of marriage cert. As well as a copy of your American passport/ID. Still remember to bring your expired GC and i-797 on your trip as you will need it to re-enter the United States. 

I Have heard and read stories where the visa is not needed, and even speaking to USCIS they said we were fine without it. However, that doesn't mean the customs official in Mexico will feel the same way. It only cost us $36.00...small price to pay and easy process. Hope this helps!

Hi, I am travelling to India, my green card will expired on Feb 28th, I have my I-797 letter. As I am flying through an Turkish airline, will there be any problem? Do airlines aware about this letter? Please reply

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

We just got back from a Cruise. Massive ship with a lot of passengers. 6,500!! The lines moved very fast. However, with the I-787 letter/Expired GC and Passport, the CPB Officer got confused. She read the letter two times (holding everyone in the line behind us). She then said, 'I better have you go to Secondary'.  She was gone about 15 minutes (No one but us was in the room).

Another officer came back and wanted to make sure he applied for ROC. She kept asking. We gave the date of application which was over a year ago. She said no card yet? (Seemed surprised). 

The CPB Officer also did not know the expiration date of the I-787 is one year from GC Expiry NO date of ROC I-751 submission. Sigh. She seemed surprised at the length of time. I said it is 15-18 months at VSC. (she did not know what that was either)....

Anyway, they were very nice and courteous. We have never ever had an issue with CPB at any border. He just gets nervous, but is getting better. 

• 1 year later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

My wife will have to travel with expired card and just the extension letter.

The passport from her country still has her maiden name, while the expired GC and extension letter have new family name.

Is the passport with maiden name going to be a problem when re-enter USA?

I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? California Service Center on 2/27/16

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2/20/16

I-129F NOA1 : 2/27/2016

I-129F NOA2 : 5/5/16

NVC Left: 6/3/2016

Interview Date : 8/1/2016 approved.

Visa Received : 8/16/2016

US Entry : 10/9/2016

Married: 10/13/2016

Adjustment of Status/EAD/Parole:

Filed : 1/2/2017

NOA : 1/11/2017

Biometrics : 2/27/17

EAD/Parole Card received: 4/26/17

I-485 approval 6/3/2017

Green Card received 6/10/17

I-751 filed remove conditions 3/6/2019

NOA received 3/12/2019

Receipt with SRC number

Bio appointment-Fingerprints 11/12/2019

old website site has confirmed finger prints

5/6/2020 notice that they are ready to schedule interview

8/31/2020 notice of case transfer to NBC Lee's Summit

says that will notify us of decision on case or if need additional info

11/3/2020 called for Info pass

11/30/2020 Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp

2/1/2020 still no update since case transfer to Lee's Summit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
51 minutes ago, blueone74 said:

My wife will have to travel with expired card and just the extension letter.

The passport from her country still has her maiden name, while the expired GC and extension letter have new family name.

Is the passport with maiden name going to be a problem when re-enter USA?

You should start your own post, this is someone else's

But no, not going to be a problem. You can bring your marriage certificate to be extra sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.