CubaAndChill

Length of time

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiance and I have only been together for about 6 months, however, I was wanting to know does anyone have any experience with short relationship K1's? Was the process extremely difficult because you weren't together for that long?

I'm trying to bring him into the US from Cuba. I met him last year on vacation and am planning on going to see him again in the next couple of months to spend some more time and get all the documentation we need.. We meet all the qualifications to send in the app, but I'm just worried that because we haven't been together for 2 or more years that the govt will see it as fraud or that we aren't committed to being together, which we are. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Edited by CubaAndChill

K-1 Visa

03/20/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/21/17 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX

03/24/17 - Check cashed
03/27/17 - NOA1 Text and Email. (Notice Date)
03/31/17 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
07/13/17- NOA2 Notice Date
07/17/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 

07/28/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
08/04/17 - Case Number Received by NVC Letter (Hard Copy)

09/29/17 - US Embassy in Havana no longer processing visa's

11/07/2017 - Transferred Case to Buenos Aires, Argentina

11/07/2017 - Received Packet 3 from BNS

12/04/17 - Medical

12/20/17 - Sent Packet 3 Docs back to Embassy

01/10/18 - Received Interview Date Email
01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Visa in Hand =)
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You spent 6 months in Cuba?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
29 minutes ago, f f said:

if he is Cuban just get him to the us boarder and he gets a green card on his own. look up wet foot dry foot policy for Cubans.

I'm aware of the wet foot, dry foot policy as I'm of Cuban descent as well and have known a family's friends nephew to come in through Mexico. However it is extremely dangerous and difficult for a Cuban to get to Mexico so that they can cross the border.  Some of his friends left in a boat bound for the US Christmas day and have yet to be heard from almost a month later..

We've looked up how to get him a tourist or visitor visa to Mexico since I have family who lives in MX but the Cuban needs to show proof of having some ridiculous amount in a bank account for some amount of months, which isn't realistic for a normal Cuban..

The K1 is the safest and fastest way we can be together and although we are impatient in wanting to be together in 1 place, we aren't willing to risk his life. But thank you for your feedback.. 

Edited by CubaAndChill

K-1 Visa

03/24/17 - Check cashed

12/04/17 - Medical

01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You spent 6 months in Cuba?

No. I spent some weeks in Cuba visiting family & vacationing... I've been in a relationship with my fiancé for 6 months....

K-1 Visa

03/24/17 - Check cashed

12/04/17 - Medical

01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

One visit of a limited time will look suspect.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

@chillandcuba

I would suggest visiting at least one more time, before submitting app and then the interview if you can go would be 3 times. Unless you can prove that traveling there would be a burden on you. The time is not an issue, my husband and I did the K1 process and knew each other for about 3 months before we got engaged and did that application. Our application took about 9 months to get approved, so a whole year went by - by the time we had our interview. I went to visit 3 times including the interview and had a lot of evidence to show our long term/distance relationship. Now we're happily married going on 6 months :-). Also - the wet foot, dry foot law was just terminated yesterday - so that is definitely no longer an option. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, tab_USA said:

@chillandcuba

I would suggest visiting at least one more time, before submitting app and then the interview if you can go would be 3 times. Unless you can prove that traveling there would be a burden on you. The time is not an issue, my husband and I did the K1 process and knew each other for about 3 months before we got engaged and did that application. Our application took about 9 months to get approved, so a whole year went by - by the time we had our interview. I went to visit 3 times including the interview and had a lot of evidence to show our long term/distance relationship. Now we're happily married going on 6 months :-). Also - the wet foot, dry foot law was just terminated yesterday - so that is definitely no longer an option. 

Thank you soooo much!! I'm happy to see that I'm having the same experience as you and that you and your hubby were approved without an issue, it really gives me hope!

I am planning on going again to visit him in the next month, or so. I was planning on my birthday in March and I already have the flight receipts & AirBNB confirmation/receipt for the casa particular that I will be staying at. I also planned on going for the interview as I had seen somewhere on the forum that you can get denied if the petitioner doesn't show up for Cuba K-1s. So that'll make 3 visits.  It's tough to go for as long and as much as I really would like to go for, but I only get a limited amount of vacation and I have to use it sparingly as I'm the only one who does the type of work I do in the whole company.

I also have a lot of evidence to show our communication. Daily, sometimes multiple times a day, phone calls through Rebtel and pages and pages of Whatsapp, FB Messenger and IMO video calls. So, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Thank you again @tab_USA and congrats on your 6 months!

Edited by CubaAndChill

K-1 Visa

03/24/17 - Check cashed

12/04/17 - Medical

01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

Timeline
3 minutes ago, CubaAndChill said:

Thank you soooo much!! I'm happy to see that I'm having the same experience as you and that you and your hubby were approved without an issue, it really gives me hope!

I am planning on going again to visit him in the next month, or so. I was planning on my birthday in March and I already have the flight receipts & AirBNB confirmation/receipt for the casa particular that I will be staying at. I also planned on going for the interview as I had seen somewhere on the forum that you can get denied if the petitioner doesn't show up for Cuba K-1s. So that'll make 3 visits.  It's tough to go for as long and as much as I really would like to go for, but I only get a limited amount of vacation and I have to use it sparingly as I'm the only one who does the type of work I do in the whole company.

Thank you again @tab_USA and congrats on your 6 months! Thank you! 

And they definitely understand that at the embassy - they are only looking for fraud. If you are genuine and have the evidence to back it up, you shouldn't have an issue. 

Edited by tab_USA

Timeline
On 1/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, tab_USA said:

And they definitely understand that at the embassy - they are only looking for fraud. If you are genuine and have the evidence to back it up, you shouldn't have an issue. 

Hi 

On 1/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, CubaAndChill said:

Hi all,

My fiance and I have only been together for about 6 months, however, I was wanting to know does anyone have any experience with short relationship K1's? Was the process extremely difficult because you weren't together for that long?

I'm trying to bring him into the US from Cuba. I met him last year on vacation and am planning on going to see him again in the next couple of months to spend some more time and get all the documentation we need.. We meet all the qualifications to send in the app, but I'm just worried that because we haven't been together for 2 or more years that the govt will see it as fraud or that we aren't committed to being together, which we are. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Hi CubaAndChill,

I will have to agree with Everlast that recommends at least two visits before you submit the papers.  I also recommend that you stay with him in a hotel and get copies of those days with both names on it.  You don't have to stay for a long time in a hotel, two or three will be enough.  Also, make sure you have photos with his family, relatives, friends that should help you a lot since you don't have a long time relationship.  Another type of proof can be letters or emails from your family to him or from his family to you.  It can be short emails or letters with the translation.  Also, try to get engaged and have some pictures of the engagement with family and friends.  You can get the engagement ring in Cuba is cheaper than in US.  Well, that's all I can remember for now.  Hope that helps.  Good luck!!! 

currently waiting ClockWatch2.giftimeline.gif

Timeline
On 1/21/2017 at 0:15 PM, Maite&Osmar said:

Hi CubaAndChill,

I will have to agree with Everlast that recommends at least two visits before you submit the papers.  I also recommend that you stay with him in a hotel and get copies of those days with both names on it.  You don't have to stay for a long time in a hotel, two or three will be enough.  Also, make sure you have photos with his family, relatives, friends that should help you a lot since you don't have a long time relationship.  Another type of proof can be letters or emails from your family to him or from his family to you.  It can be short emails or letters with the translation.  Also, try to get engaged and have some pictures of the engagement with family and friends.  You can get the engagement ring in Cuba is cheaper than in US.  Well, that's all I can remember for now.  Hope that helps.  Good luck!!! 

Hi Maite&Osmar

I'm going to see him on the 11th of Feb, so the 2nd visit shouldn't be a problem. Based on the feedback I've received from everyone I'm going to wait until after I come back from my 2nd visit to send in the paperwork. I figured I can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone and take some of the docs he needs to sign instead of paying and waiting for DHL while on my 2nd visit to see him. Thank you for your feedback, I'll try to get some of the WhatsApp messages between him and my dad so I can send that in as well and get more pics this visit with his family. He says he has a surprise for me and it's something I've been mentioning I want, so I believe it's my ring (:D:wub:) and I can get pics of that as well.

Thank you!!  :)

K-1 Visa

03/24/17 - Check cashed

12/04/17 - Medical

01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

On 1/11/2017 at 5:39 PM, f f said:

if he is Cuban just get him to the us boarder and he gets a green card on his own. look up wet foot dry foot policy for Cubans.

Didn't Obama just cancel that, effective last week?

Timeline
7 hours ago, CubaAndChill said:

Hi Maite&Osmar

I'm going to see him on the 11th of Feb, so the 2nd visit shouldn't be a problem. Based on the feedback I've received from everyone I'm going to wait until after I come back from my 2nd visit to send in the paperwork. I figured I can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone and take some of the docs he needs to sign instead of paying and waiting for DHL while on my 2nd visit to see him. Thank you for your feedback, I'll try to get some of the WhatsApp messages between him and my dad so I can send that in as well and get more pics this visit with his family. He says he has a surprise for me and it's something I've been mentioning I want, so I believe it's my ring (:D:wub:) and I can get pics of that as well.

Thank you!!  :)

Your welcome CubaAndChill.  I'm glad that you decided to wait a little bit because I met a couple in Cuba when I did my husband's papers and they were not approved because they only had 9 months dating and they didn't had enough proof.  She had to get married and start all the process again.  Hopefully, it won't be your case but I thought it was important to share this information with you,  Wish you the best.

currently waiting ClockWatch2.giftimeline.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.