ShanghaiSurfer

I-134 Question 38 - Contributions

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

There is a new form for I-134 to be filled out for K-1 visas.

In the previous version it asked if you intend to make any contributions and the sample on VJ said to put "N/A - Filing for K-1 Visa". However they have now changed it to a Yes or No box in the new version of the forms. I don't see any box where you would put this phrase. Any suggestions?

April 22, 2020 - I-751 sent

April 23, 2020 - I-751 received at Lockbox 

April 29, 2020 - Check cashed
??? - didn’t receive text or email confirmation. Ugh!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It asks if you intend to make specific contributions and if you tick yes then state in the bottom on part 7 what contributions you intend to make.

If it was me I would have asked the same question but if no one answered I would tick yes to make sure they read part 7 and then I would still write NA K1 visa or whatever it is that people were advising you should write on the previous form. Others may just say no. Because you don't intend to only make specific contributions but support them entirely.

That is confusing now isn't it because they used to be lots of answers on what to write but now there isn't. 

hmmmm...

Sorry I can't advise you completely but maybe someone else will now come back and say what they would do 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

It asks if you intend to make specific contributions and if you tick yes then state in the bottom on part 7 what contributions you intend to make.

If it was me I would have asked the same question but if no one answered I would tick yes to make sure they read part 7 and then I would still write NA K1 visa or whatever it is that people were advising you should write on the previous form. Others may just say no. Because you don't intend to only make specific contributions but support them entirely.

That is confusing now isn't it because they used to be lots of answers on what to write but now there isn't. 

hmmmm...

Sorry I can't advise you completely but maybe someone else will now come back and say what they would do 

Yes confusing indeed. Appreciate the advice. If nobody comes along I'll go with your suggestion. Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Tick yes, with or without itemized explanation or just leave unticked with n/a. Do not tick no, someone was denied for that at the Sweden consulate and had to supply a new form.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

See, I knew someone would know the consequences of the marked answer somewhere.

The only reason I say to tick yes is because it says underneath to list what you intend to contribute with. That way if you tick yes I would think they will look at the bottom of what you intend to do. That will give you chance to still explain that it is for the K1 visa and you intend to support them entirely rather than making certain contributions. 

It sounds like a few people will now come up with this question so whatever you do please make sure you update VJ after the I-134 has been used... I get the feeling it will help a lot of people out :) 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

See, I knew someone would know the consequences of the marked answer somewhere.

The only reason I say to tick yes is because it says underneath to list what you intend to contribute with. That way if you tick yes I would think they will look at the bottom of what you intend to do. That will give you chance to still explain that it is for the K1 visa and you intend to support them entirely rather than making certain contributions. 

It sounds like a few people will now come up with this question so whatever you do please make sure you update VJ after the I-134 has been used... I get the feeling it will help a lot of people out :) 

Glad I asked like you said. I'm several months away (I'm a planner), but will definitely provide feedback based on ticking yes if there were any negative consequences. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, A'n'L said:

Tick yes, with or without itemized explanation or just leave unticked with n/a. Do not tick no, someone was denied for that at the Sweden consulate and had to supply a new form.

That was exactly my concern. Thank you for the feedback. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wonder when VJ will revise the US-134 form. It seems very confusing.

So, let me see if I understood everything correctly. Should we fill out with the beneficiary's information under the "Dependents Info" (question 10-13), put "none" or "N/a" on the others (if we don't have kids, etc) till we reach question 38 where we tick "yes"?

Thanks! :D

AOS JOURNEY

AOS package sent: 01/22/18 

NOA1 dated: 01/26/18

NOA1 text/emails: 01/29/18

NOA1 Hardcopies: 02/02/18

Biometrics: 02/23/18

Interview scheduled for: 05/08/18

Green Card Approved & Card in Production: 05/08/18

Card was Mailed to me: 05/11/18

Card Received: 05/15/18                                                        

ROC JOURNEY

ROC package sent: 02/08/20

ROC received in AZ: 02/10/20

Check cashed + Text message with case #: 02/14/20

NOA1 dated: 02/13/20

Biometrics: 05/07/20 (text + email stating bio was taken)

"Card in Production": 07/07/20

"Case was approved": 07/08/20

Approval notice received: 07/11/20

"Card was mailed to me": 07/28/20

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 3/8/2017 at 2:15 PM, DebbieWen said:

I wonder when VJ will revise the US-134 form. It seems very confusing.

So, let me see if I understood everything correctly. Should we fill out with the beneficiary's information under the "Dependents Info" (question 10-13), put "none" or "N/a" on the others (if we don't have kids, etc) till we reach question 38 where we tick "yes"?

Thanks! :D

Hey DebbieWen, I just recently got my NOA2 Approval and now in the process of preparing documents for the next step, including the I-134a. It is confusing, but I think I can help with the research I've done and things I've read from the USCIS website. On the USCIS website, you can view the PDF Instruction file for I-134a. I will copy and paste a line from it regarding your question. 

"Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed."

This is a bit different from the I-129F, as if you look at the instructions for that form, it says to leave the space blank.

Also, if you notice it says, "Answer all questions fully and accurately". BUT, the example they give "Provide the name of your current spouse" type or print N/A. Their example isn't a question! It's a statement. The form contains questions AND statements throughout, but they obviously consider every line a question. Therefore, DebbieWen, I will be either putting "NA" for non-numeric lines and "None" for the questions that require a numeric response.  

I have no dependents either, so for me, 10.a through 25 will be "NA" or "None" , 26a-29 will be filled in as it should. And 30.a through 37 will be "NA" or "None" 

I hope this helped you! The above Q&A really helped me with that confusing question 38! Good luck!

:blink:"We are part of this universe; we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts, is that the universe is in us."

Timeline

Thank you so much Rippy88 and KimchiLumpia for your help! I really appreciate it! :D

AOS JOURNEY

ROC JOURNEY

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/18/2017 at 4:37 AM, Rippy88 said:

Hey DebbieWen, I just recently got my NOA2 Approval and now in the process of preparing documents for the next step, including the I-134a. It is confusing, but I think I can help with the research I've done and things I've read from the USCIS website. On the USCIS website, you can view the PDF Instruction file for I-134a. I will copy and paste a line from it regarding your question. 

"Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed."

This is a bit different from the I-129F, as if you look at the instructions for that form, it says to leave the space blank.

Also, if you notice it says, "Answer all questions fully and accurately". BUT, the example they give "Provide the name of your current spouse" type or print N/A. Their example isn't a question! It's a statement. The form contains questions AND statements throughout, but they obviously consider every line a question. Therefore, DebbieWen, I will be either putting "NA" for non-numeric lines and "None" for the questions that require a numeric response.  

I have no dependents either, so for me, 10.a through 25 will be "NA" or "None" , 26a-29 will be filled in as it should. And 30.a through 37 will be "NA" or "None" 

I hope this helped you! The above Q&A really helped me with that confusing question 38! Good luck!

I am going to bring up this subject again because I was reading in another website (http://www.***removed***/visitor-visa/affidavit-of-support-form-134-tips.html) and it says to fill out questions 26a to 37 only if you have submitted a visa petition before. And that's also my understanding due to the way it's written, since you've already put the beneficiary's info on part 2. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

AOS JOURNEY

ROC JOURNEY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey DebbieWen,

26a through 29 should be filled in, for date of filing, question 29, I just used my NOA1 date.

30a through 37 don't worry about. 

38 mark "I intend"

and then on the last page of the I-134a , fill in as Kimchi stated above.

3.a. "Page 4"

3.b. "Part Number 3"

3.c. "Item Number 38"

3.d. "N/A (K1 Visa Process For Permanent Residence)"

:blink:"We are part of this universe; we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts, is that the universe is in us."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.