Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

 I would just like to share my experience around obtaining a Driving license in the state of Utah while adjusting status through marriage to a US citizen. I entered the country on a K1 visa.


All  threads I've read on obtaining a license in this state ended in failure for the immigrant applying for a license past the I94 expiration date without a valid Green card or EAD. I have neither of these and was able to get my Utah license which is valid for 1 year from today.


Utah like other states require you to show proof that you are in the country legally verified through SAVE. To satisfy this requirement I showed my passport with my I94 (Legal entry proof) and my Noa1 for my I485. 


Today Instead of using my passport number or I94 the lady at the DLD took my Alien registration number to verify me with SAVE. When I received both my SSN and temp license back in December, the two departments used my I94 number which expires in 90 days. The consequence of using these numbers at the DLD is you only get a license with a couple of months valid or until the I94 expires, thats what comes back from SAVE


I think some people have run into issues with not being able to get the 1 year license because the DLD uses your I94 and passport to verify on SAVE instead of the A-number which should be used when you have received your NOA1 for you I485.



So if you are going to the DLD and using your NOA1 from your I485 to get your license, tell them to verify with your A-number. You shouldn't have the same problems as lots of people in the threads of searched for around this topic.



I hope this makes sense and can help some people going through this. I got my license in the Provo office in Utah and had no hassle at all. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just registered to thank Dublindave for his suggestion. I just got back from the local DMV office with a temporary license as I asked them to use my Alien registration number to verify on SAVE.


This forum is fantastic! Thanks again Dublindave.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.