lennie

help! explain the poverty guidelines for the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

I am a new member here and hope someone can help me with a question I have. I have a fiancee in Kiev and plan on taking the plunge. I am getting into the paperwork, and it's quite abit. I have a question on the poverty guide lines. Can anyone explain this to me? I have asked several educated people and no one can answer what the government means. I guess you need a certain amount saved, but how much? before they will let her come here without being a burden to the US system I make good money, but I am not rich. My base pay is 40,000.00 per year, not counting over time. What do I need in saved assets. Any advice will be welcomed. Len

Edited by lennie

Filed: Timeline
Hello all,

I am a new member here and hope someone can help me with a question I have. I have a fiancee in Kiev and plan on taking the plunge. I am getting into the paperwork, and it's quite abit. I have a question on the poverty guide lines. Can anyone explain this to me? I have asked several educated people and no one can answer what the government means. I guess you need a certain amount saved, but how much? before they will let her come here without being a burden to the US system I make good money, but I am not rich. My base pay is 40,000.00 per year, not counting over time. What do I need in saved assets. Any advice will be welcomed. Len

Poverty guidelines are issued each year in the Federal Register. Many departments use them and for immigration purposes they use a factor of 125% as a requirement. Currently the poverty guidelines in place for immigration purposes are posted here. (Note: in a week or so, new guidelines will be published for submission from that point forward in 2006).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864p.htm

Sounds like your income will be more than sufficient. Have a look at the posted link and keep in mind your fiancé is counted in addition to you and anyone else living in your household. For example, if you live alone, you need to meet the household poverty level of a household of 2 (you and your sponsored fiancé).

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline
Hello all,

Hi

The support document I-864 on page 3 you have to record your income from the most recent tax year.

Then part D has you check the appropiate box which is usually the first one: 125% etc. Record in Part D #2 the size of your household which would be 2 (you and spouse)...the poverty guideline chart says for a family of 2 it is around 20,000 (look at the chart or search the web for poverty guidelines looking at 125%. You will succeed alot so you just write N/A part 4 page 4 when they ask for assets. Which is good you dont have to go out looking and recording all your assets....:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Lennie,

In a nut shell you take the amount on the table at; http://aspe.os.dhhs.gov/poverty/05poverty.shtml. If you live and have no kids that you support and your fiancée has no kids you would look at the number 2 row “Persons on Family Unit”, the amount is $12,830 for most of the U.S. Then you would take that number times 125%. 12,830 x 1.25 = 16,037.50. This means you need to have a gross income of $16,037.50 per year. So you definitely qualify with room to spare, now if there are dependents involve look at that row and do the calculations using the new dollar amount x 1.25.

You only worry about savings, property, etc, if you do not meet the qualifications. This guideline are for 2005, the 2006 guidelines are out but I do not know if they are using them yet but there is not much of a change you are still alright at $40k a year. $370 increase from 2005 to 2006 on two people.

Good luck,

Peter Miami

Edited by Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Filed: Timeline

I'd like to add that if lennie is pursuing a fiancé visa, the poverty guidelines per I-864 only come into play at the adjustment stage, unless he is working with a consulate that requires an I-864. Normally for the K visa, he would have to overcome the public charge issue, but knowing the benchmarks is a good guideline any way.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.