Sand

About N-600 and Child name change.

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello .

i have question and i need help please. 

My friend's oath should take place this month and after his oath he wants to apply N-600 for his 5 Years son,  but the Father wants to change his son's name on the Certificate of Citizenship. So what he needs to do that? is there going to be form attach to N-600 ? or he has to wait for the child's Certificate of Citizenship and then go to the curt and change his name there?

Thank you.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

If your friends want's to change his son's name he must do a legal name change with his State of residence prior to filing the N-600.  Because name changes must be approved by a judge, and the issuance of the certificate of citizenship is an administrative function, because the person is already a derivative U.S. citizen we are not allowed to do any name changes on the N-600 applications and the certificates of citizenship MUST be issued in the person's legal name.  So he should officially do a name change for his son in the county/state court system where he lives, then when the name change is official and he has a certified copy of the name change he needs to submit a copy of that name change document with the N-600 and he would then be allowed to fill out the N-600 application with the child's new legal name.   We are allowed to put one AKA (also known as) on the certificate if the parents indicate that the child is known by another name, but it will not be the only name on the certificate so for instance if the child's legal name is  

Ramesh Kumar Patel and the father wants to change the name to Richard Kumar Patel and does not do a legal name change before filing the N-600 our office would be allowed to issue the certificate with the AKA name as well as the legal name, so the certificate would  have both names on it.

Ramesh Kumar Patel  AKA  Richard Kumar Patel   

So my strong suggestion is to tell your friend to start the legal name change process now for his son, then as soon as that is finished then he can file the N-600 once he is naturalized and provide a copy of the child's name change with the N-600 application.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.