Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

I waited until I had my interview in Sweden scheduled to schedule my medical. But coming from Denmark I could have scheduled it earlier since they didn't ask for anything when I booked it. 

The checklist will definitely be sent to the US citizen. The email they send also says that the USC have to forward it to the beneficiary 

@EllenE1230 @Scandi Thank you both! Today I scheduled my interview and it worked! I guess I got confused because I read some info that you would get notified by post not email.. they should be more clear about the steps!

I was so sure that I was supposed to be contacted personally, not via the fiancé. It said in the description the local embassy reaches out to the beneficiary ;) Well it is fine! Now I have my medical on Monday and will have my interview before Christmas which is great!

Everythinh worked out fine because I am planning to leave end of February! So plenty of time.

i was only afraid the validity of my police certificates would run out :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

A great day for the Norwegians in the US. Today, the parliament voted to allow dual citizenship for Norwegian citizens. It's great news for everyone who don't want to give up their Norwegian citizenship in order to become an American citizen.

Here's a link (in Norwegian): https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/na-blir-det-lov-til-a-ha-to-statsborgerskap/70536737

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
On 11/28/2018 at 7:02 AM, NDP22 said:

Hi, 

I am currently in the process of getting my fiance to America. She is from Norway and we are doing the I-129f. I was curious if there are any Norwegians, or anyone, that could give me some advice and guidance on this process. We just got our NOA2 on Nov 16th, 2018. What follows this? And what exactly do I need or what does she need for the process ahead? I would just like to have a tentative timeline and what we need to get together now and to make this a speedy process.

Thanks!

Hi,

You need to get a case number from the National Benefits Center. Then, you can schedule an interview with the American embassy in Stockholm (the one in Oslo don't do K1 visas). In the meantime, schedule the health check appointment. This has to be done by a specific doctor in Oslo. Which doctor this is should be provided on the embassy website, I believe. The doctor sends all the documents to the embassy in Stockholm. After the interview, you get the passport in the mail with the visa glued to one of the pages. Then, you need to emigrate to the US within the expiration date of the visa. You can only enter once on the K1 visa.

I might have gotten some of the details wrong, but this is the general timeline. Hope this helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, aprilfiler2018 said:

@EllenE1230 @Scandi Thank you both! Today I scheduled my interview and it worked! I guess I got confused because I read some info that you would get notified by post not email.. they should be more clear about the steps!

I was so sure that I was supposed to be contacted personally, not via the fiancé. It said in the description the local embassy reaches out to the beneficiary ;) Well it is fine! Now I have my medical on Monday and will have my interview before Christmas which is great!

Everythinh worked out fine because I am planning to leave end of February! So plenty of time.

i was only afraid the validity of my police certificates would run out :)

Glad to help! I'm wondering which country you're from? I couldn't find it in your profile. If you're from Denmark you have to book a separate appointment for the x-rays to be taken which they weren't 100% clear about when I booked. I had to read it off their website. 

I wasnt sure either how new the police certificate was supposed to be. I searched a bit around and I believe that as long as it's less than 12 months old you're okay

Timeline
4 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Glad to help! I'm wondering which country you're from? I couldn't find it in your profile. If you're from Denmark you have to book a separate appointment for the x-rays to be taken which they weren't 100% clear about when I booked. I had to read it off their website. 

I wasnt sure either how new the police certificate was supposed to be. I searched a bit around and I believe that as long as it's less than 12 months old you're okay

It says Sweden, but I believe you can't see it if you're on a phone? I can only see it from a regular browser on tablet or computer, not my phones.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
7 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hi @EllenE1230 @Scandi

I am from Germany and I already did the x-rays this week. But I think i got confused because in Germany you need to send the documents to the embassy before the interview, therefore they officially contact you (all documents from checklist). Do I get it right, that in sweden you just bring the documents to the interview?

my medical is on the 10th, and the interview will be on the 20th. Hope that it is enough time for the medical certificate to be forwarded to the embassy. In their Info sybillekliniken says that they need 7-10days to make the certificate, which seems a lot..!

But I guess they need to wait for laboratory tests..

Hope it all will finally work out! We applied in March and you?

Timeline
1 hour ago, aprilfiler2018 said:

Hi @EllenE1230 @Scandi

I am from Germany and I already did the x-rays this week. But I think i got confused because in Germany you need to send the documents to the embassy before the interview, therefore they officially contact you (all documents from checklist). Do I get it right, that in sweden you just bring the documents to the interview?

my medical is on the 10th, and the interview will be on the 20th. Hope that it is enough time for the medical certificate to be forwarded to the embassy. In their Info sybillekliniken says that they need 7-10days to make the certificate, which seems a lot..!

But I guess they need to wait for laboratory tests..

Hope it all will finally work out! We applied in March and you?

You being from Germany but going through the embassy in Stockholm doesn't make a difference other than you needing police certificate and birth certificate etc from Germany. Other than that it's the same for you as for us Scandinavians.

You don't send anything to the embassy, you bring everything with you in person when you go for your interview. Every step after the process after the NVC stage is very much embassy specific. You can't listen to how they do it in any other embassy as their process won't be the same as the process in Stockholm.

It generally takes 2 weeks (including weekends) for the embassy to receive the medical results. You will receive your decision of your visa application once they have all the documents they need, including the medical results, so they can deside what to do. If they don't have the results by the time of your interview, they will just wait until they receive them to make a decision.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
11 hours ago, Scandi said:

It says Sweden, but I believe you can't see it if you're on a phone? I can only see it from a regular browser on tablet or computer, not my phones.

That's why I can't see it. They should change that 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

I have a question for those who had their interview at Stockholm for the I-129f. I was curious if you got your approved visa the day of the interview or if you had to wait a couple of weeks before receiving it? The reason I ask is because both my brother and and buddy of mine's wives got their visa the same day as the interview but this was a couple of years ago. I know it says up to 2 weeks but I wanted to see whatever everyone else has experienced. Thanks!

@Scandi @RandB

Edited by NDP22

Timeline
8 hours ago, NDP22 said:

I have a question for those who had their interview at Stockholm for the I-129f. I was curious if you got your approved visa the day of the interview or if you had to wait a couple of weeks before receiving it? The reason I ask is because both my brother and and buddy of mine's wives got their visa the same day as the interview but this was a couple of years ago. I know it says up to 2 weeks but I wanted to see whatever everyone else has experienced. Thanks!

@Scandi @RandB

You don't get a K-1 visa the same day, neither did they a couple of years ago (I got my visa in 2016). 

After the interview they will review your case again and if they don't find anything strange (or missing documents) they will issue the visa. The review can take hours or days. Once issued it only takes 1-2 days for the passport to arrive at your home (or pickup place), at least for those who live in Sweden.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Haven't been on here in a while! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas/God Jul this week. :)

How'd all my Swedes celebrate the holiday stateside? It was a lot of fun for us incorporating some of Paul's traditions with mine! We found glogg (I don't have the right keyboard here to use the proper characters for typing in Swedish :P ) at World Market and I got to try that for the first time! We also made risgrynsgrot for Christmas morning breakfast with my family, and it was actually a hit! Annnnnd I've been eating it nonstop for several days now :) It's delicious!

We also added meatballs to the Christmas family dinner now.

We got a real tree this year, too, which was a first for me, but tradition for him. We're hoping to keep it up until January 13th, if it'll hang on that long! Which is fine by me. I HATE taking the tree down!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey, I'm a K1 filer and  I have some questions for fellow swedes who have done the medical , since I don't really like doctors knowing a few things before hand would make it easier for me, haha.

Anyway!

So, which clinic would you recommend? I live up north so going to anyone of them is far away so if one is better than the other that'd be great to know.

And how did you figure it out with the vaccination records? I don't have any but I've gotten all shots as a kid and at school and what not, is getting files from this needed? Wonder how easy it is to get old vaccination records from the 90's heh.
And do they go thru your old medical records and what not and is that something I should somehow bring with me? I had depression as a teenager and was on and off antidepressants growing up, no self harm or anything serious just being generally down, is this something I should get a doctors statement off that I'm currently fine (haven't eaten medications in years.)

Anyway, sorry if long these are just some questions I had for Swe specific medical since I couldn't find any answers while searching.
Thanks in advance. :)

K1 Process 
2018-07-20 - Application sent
2018-07-31 - NOA1
2019-01-04 - NOA2 by mail, approved! 😚

2019-04-01 - Medical
2019-04-11 - Interview, Approved! 🙌💗

2019-04-25 - Visa in hand 😊

2019-05-28 - PoE!

2019-06-20 - Married! 💍❤️

AOS Process

2019-08-19 - Application sent

2019-09-09 - NOA

2019-11-07 - Biometrics

2020-03-28   Original interview date
2020-04-08 - Application approved without interview! 👏
2020-04-14 - Green Card received! ❤️🙏

Timeline
7 hours ago, Pixelx said:

Hey, I'm a K1 filer and  I have some questions for fellow swedes who have done the medical , since I don't really like doctors knowing a few things before hand would make it easier for me, haha.

Anyway!

So, which clinic would you recommend? I live up north so going to anyone of them is far away so if one is better than the other that'd be great to know.

And how did you figure it out with the vaccination records? I don't have any but I've gotten all shots as a kid and at school and what not, is getting files from this needed? Wonder how easy it is to get old vaccination records from the 90's heh.
And do they go thru your old medical records and what not and is that something I should somehow bring with me? I had depression as a teenager and was on and off antidepressants growing up, no self harm or anything serious just being generally down, is this something I should get a doctors statement off that I'm currently fine (haven't eaten medications in years.)

Anyway, sorry if long these are just some questions I had for Swe specific medical since I couldn't find any answers while searching.
Thanks in advance. :)

The only things that differ between the two clinics are price (GBG is significantly cheaper), and that in GBG you can ask for a copy of the full medical report, not just the DS-3025 (from what I understand Sthlm won't give you a copy of the whole thing for some reason?). Another thing is that you pay for the whole medical including the x-rays in one go at the actual clinic in GBG, I believe in Sthlm you pay for the medical at the clinic and then pay for the x-ray separately at the x-ray place, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The doctor in GBG (named Einar) fixes an appointment for you at the x-ray place, so you don't have to book it yourself. They already know that you're coming when you head over there. Other than that I don't think there's much that differs between the two.

When I went to GBG he didn't even look at my vaccination records, he basically meant that everyone who was born and raised in Sweden have gotten all vaccinations needed, so he just ticked all the necessary boxes on the vaccination sheet and marked it "complete".

I got my vaccination records from the journalarkiv of region Skåne, they had records of every vaccination I ever got at a clinic/hospital/vårdcentral in Skåne. I contacted the kommun where I last went to school to get the records of the vaccinations I got in school as a kid, the records transfer with you when you go to school in different communes. Took a few days to receive everything.

I knew I would need a stelkrampsspruta so I decided to take that one at my local vårdcentral a couple of months prior to my medical. Didn't cost much and they wrote a "certificate" and signed it, as proof I got the vaccine, which I brought with me to the medical.

They don't go through any old medical records, you get papers to fill in where they ask you about your medical history. If you can get a "friskhetsintyg" then bring it, just in case.

The medical is extremely relaxed, there's nothing to worry about and it's definitely not a "hospital feeling" going through it. You don't have to strip down or anything (not in GBG at least, I didn't even take my shoes off). The medical is a breeze. For the x-rays you have to undress on your upper body, obviously.

Edited by Scandi

Timeline
15 hours ago, Scandi said:

The only things that differ between the two clinics are price (GBG is significantly cheaper), and that in GBG you can ask for a copy of the full medical report, not just the DS-3025 (from what I understand Sthlm won't give you a copy of the whole thing for some reason?). Another thing is that you pay for the whole medical including the x-rays in one go at the actual clinic in GBG, I believe in Sthlm you pay for the medical at the clinic and then pay for the x-ray separately at the x-ray place, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The doctor in GBG (named Einar) fixes an appointment for you at the x-ray place, so you don't have to book it yourself. They already know that you're coming when you head over there. Other than that I don't think there's much that differs between the two.

When I went to GBG he didn't even look at my vaccination records, he basically meant that everyone who was born and raised in Sweden have gotten all vaccinations needed, so he just ticked all the necessary boxes on the vaccination sheet and marked it "complete".

I got my vaccination records from the journalarkiv of region Skåne, they had records of every vaccination I ever got at a clinic/hospital/vårdcentral in Skåne. I contacted the kommun where I last went to school to get the records of the vaccinations I got in school as a kid, the records transfer with you when you go to school in different communes. Took a few days to receive everything.

I knew I would need a stelkrampsspruta so I decided to take that one at my local vårdcentral a couple of months prior to my medical. Didn't cost much and they wrote a "certificate" and signed it, as proof I got the vaccine, which I brought with me to the medical.

They don't go through any old medical records, you get papers to fill in where they ask you about your medical history. If you can get a "friskhetsintyg" then bring it, just in case.

The medical is extremely relaxed, there's nothing to worry about and it's definitely not a "hospital feeling" going through it. You don't have to strip down or anything (not in GBG at least, I didn't even take my shoes off). The medical is a breeze. For the x-rays you have to undress on your upper body, obviously.

Thanks a bunch! That's very helpful. 😃

I'll look into the clinic in Gothenburg, easier choice anyway since I actually have an idea how to navigate that city.. unlike Stockholm (which I still have to do for the interview tho, lol).

Still a little bit of time left to go before it's time.

K1 Process 
2018-07-20 - Application sent
2018-07-31 - NOA1
2019-01-04 - NOA2 by mail, approved! 😚

2019-04-01 - Medical
2019-04-11 - Interview, Approved! 🙌💗

2019-04-25 - Visa in hand 😊

2019-05-28 - PoE!

2019-06-20 - Married! 💍❤️

AOS Process

2019-08-19 - Application sent

2019-09-09 - NOA

2019-11-07 - Biometrics

2020-03-28   Original interview date
2020-04-08 - Application approved without interview! 👏
2020-04-14 - Green Card received! ❤️🙏

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.