Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Does anyone have experience with umlauts and the Green Card?

In DS-260 I converted the Ä's in my last name into A's, and used Ä's where the name was asked to be typed in native alphabet. However, my interview letter was generated with Ä's converted into AE. My passport biographic data page has this AE form in the machine readable code section, so I wasn't surprised. But I'm wondering, will my GC be issued with AE's (awkward) or A's (preferred)? Should I address this at the exit interview?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just had to share with folks who may possibly understand...

We had our traditional wedding reception on the 6th, and Paul's parents came from Sweden for the week. I fell IN. LOVE. with semlas/semlor while I was in Sweden. Like. you don't understand. I felt like I was coming off of withdrawals when I came back home. LOL. It's a problem.

Anyway - his mom brought TWO BAGS of the semla bunsssss and I am DYING. We found the marzipan you need for them at Ikea and made some last night and it's like being in Sweden again! I would never think about bringing bread back from Sweden, but now.... I think this is a whole game changer whenever we go back to visit. Like, an extra suitcase situation. :P

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
22 hours ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I just had to share with folks who may possibly understand...

We had our traditional wedding reception on the 6th, and Paul's parents came from Sweden for the week. I fell IN. LOVE. with semlas/semlor while I was in Sweden. Like. you don't understand. I felt like I was coming off of withdrawals when I came back home. LOL. It's a problem.

Anyway - his mom brought TWO BAGS of the semla bunsssss and I am DYING. We found the marzipan you need for them at Ikea and made some last night and it's like being in Sweden again! I would never think about bringing bread back from Sweden, but now.... I think this is a whole game changer whenever we go back to visit. Like, an extra suitcase situation. :P

I'm Danish but I know those buns, and out of anything I wouldn't think that's what a foreigner would miss lol!! My fiance hates marzipan! 😜

And I honestly thought bread was a prohibited item, but if it's not I may as well stuff my suitcase with rye bread instead of clothes when I leave!

On a side note, I have my interview on Thursday, going to Stockholm tomorrow. And I'm already feeling really nervous 😓 Does anyone know what the absolute easiest way to get from Arlanda Airport to Östermalm is? Is Uber a thing in Sweden? 

Edited by Reverie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Reverie said:

I'm Danish but I know those buns, and out of anything I wouldn't think that's what a foreigner would miss lol!! My fiance hates marzipan! 😜

And I honestly thought bread was a prohibited item, but if it's not I may as well stuff my suitcase with rye bread instead of clothes when I leave!

On a side note, I have my interview on Thursday, going to Stockholm tomorrow. And I'm already feeling really nervous 😓 Does anyone know what the absolute easiest way to get from Arlanda Airport to Östermalm is? Is Uber a thing in Sweden? 

Lol! I LOVE marzipan!! :D It definitely surprised my husband that those were the thing I latched onto the most in Sweden, haha. And yes, apparently bread is okay! I know it was in their checked luggage, not the carry on of course. They brought two bags of those buns and had no problems!

Congratulations on the upcoming interview! It is nerve racking, but also exciting! Things really start to move along at this point :) 

Uber exists in Sweden as far as I know. We took the train to Stockholm (he lived in Gothenburg) so I'm not much help airport wise, but we got to and from the embassy by taxi with no problem. We stayed overnight at a hotel right beside the train station, which was about 20 minutes from the embassy.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

On 9/29/2018 at 2:46 AM, SpidersWeb said:

Does anyone have experience with umlauts and the Green Card?

In DS-260 I converted the Ä's in my last name into A's, and used Ä's where the name was asked to be typed in native alphabet. However, my interview letter was generated with Ä's converted into AE. My passport biographic data page has this AE form in the machine readable code section, so I wasn't surprised. But I'm wondering, will my GC be issued with AE's (awkward) or A's (preferred)? Should I address this at the exit interview?

I was told at the Embassy that my green card will be with AE’s (all three of them...) even though we filled the original USCIS petition with A’s. I actually didn’t even ask about it, but they just told me.

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Don’t pick up a taxi from the ranks closest to the terminal at Arlanda. You WILL get ripped off.

Best one, I think, is Taxi Stockholm (be wary of small differences in name such as “Stockholm Taxi” since you are bound to get ripped off). TopCab is okay, too, and a bit cheaper. SverigeTaxi/Taxi020 or TaxiKurir _can_ be okay depending on the driver. As for any other companies, I would not trust them.  Uber is available to some extent, but nowhere as much as in other countries. And the price doesn’t seem to differ too much from a regular taxi anyway.

A fixed price taxi ride should be SEK 520-590 from Arlanda to downtown Stockholm. Do NOT get a taxi just because they offer you “a fixed price”, agree on the price BEFORE hopping in the vehicle.

I am personally a transport buff so I would just take Arlanda Express from Terminal 2 or 5 (20 min when there are no signal failures, train failures etc.) for SEK 295, or commuter train from SkyCity/Arlanda C for SEK 151 (40 min) or Flygbussarna for SEK 120 (40-50 min),

but I understand others

just want to take the easiest possible route 😊

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

And oh yeah, I was preliminarily approved today! They had not gotten my medical results yet (I wonder if these are sent electronically or by snail mail...) so I got a 221g on that. And the CO lady was wondering how I knew the name of their

procedure. I told her “VisaJourney” 😝

I will try to write more on my experience later. There should be no further surprises, but had a couple of hiccups regarding the medical (panel physician wanted an extra statement from my doctor), so I will have to be waitig and keep on tapping F5 on the CEAC Status page 😉 As for now it’s in administrative processing.

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

51 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

apparently bread is okay! I know it was in their checked luggage, not the carry on of course. They brought two bags of those buns and had no problems!

Being a Nordic

sandwich aficionado (what else do you eat for breakfast than savoury sandwiches?!) I am going to miss Swedish sourdough ‘Levain’-type bread. California Sourdough tastes disgusting! 😅

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Locito said:

Don’t pick up a taxi from the ranks closest to the terminal at Arlanda. You WILL get ripped off.

Best one, I think, is Taxi Stockholm (be wary of small differences in name such as “Stockholm Taxi” since you are bound to get ripped off). TopCab is okay, too, and a bit cheaper. SverigeTaxi/Taxi020 or TaxiKurir _can_ be okay depending on the driver. As for any other companies, I would not trust them.  Uber is available to some extent, but nowhere as much as in other countries. And the price doesn’t seem to differ too much from a regular taxi anyway.

A fixed price taxi ride should be SEK 520-590 from Arlanda to downtown Stockholm. Do NOT get a taxi just because they offer you “a fixed price”, agree on the price BEFORE hopping in the vehicle.

I am personally a transport buff so I would just take Arlanda Express from Terminal 2 or 5 (20 min when there are no signal failures, train failures etc.) for SEK 295, or commuter train from SkyCity/Arlanda C for SEK 151 (40 min) or Flygbussarna for SEK 120 (40-50 min),

but I understand others

just want to take the easiest possible route 😊

Thank you for the very useful info! I was thinking about buying a ticket online for Flygbussarna to Frihemsplan and then just take one of the local buses that stop really close to my hotel. Cheap and seems easy as well :) 

@Reverie, sure, I like Flygbussarna, usually use them to get to Arlanda even if local transport with a monthly pass would be slightly cheaper. If you get your ticket in advance from their website or using their app, one-way ride will be only SEK 99 which will be hard to beat. The price is SEK 120 when bought from the airport or aboard the bus. There is one line,

though, where they have raised the prices recently, but the lines going to Cityterminalen and Fridhemsplan/Hornstull/Liljeholmen should be cheaper. Plus the buses have got charging ports and free wi-fi, too 🙂 (no, I don’t work for them but will be gladly accepting any free trip vouchers sent to me the company reps 😁)

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

And oh yeah, before I forget, congratulations @Paul & Mallory! 😊🎉🍰

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Timeline
22 hours ago, Locito said:

And oh yeah, I was preliminarily approved today! They had not gotten my medical results yet (I wonder if these are sent electronically or by snail mail...) so I got a 221g on that. And the CO lady was wondering how I knew the name of their

procedure. I told her “VisaJourney” 😝

I will try to write more on my experience later. There should be no further surprises, but had a couple of hiccups regarding the medical (panel physician wanted an extra statement from my doctor), so I will have to be waitig and keep on tapping F5 on the CEAC Status page 😉 As for now it’s in administrative processing.

Unfortunately, they send it by "snail mail". My medical hadn't arrived on time either but i had my VISA in hand 7 workdays later from the time of the interview :) Overall it took about 2-2.5 weeks from medical to VISA in hand :)

I hope you get yours soon!

Timeline

"You're approved, I hope you have a wonderful life together." 

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Congratulations!! that´s amazing! :D
Did the officer tell you at the end of the interview? :D
My fiance and I just filled this September, so we have almost all the wait still. May I ask you how long your process was till NOA2? and how long it took from the NOA2 till you had the interview medical scheduled?
I´m sorry for the questions, it would just be nice to hear from another Dane how your timeline/experience was :)

Again congratulations! :D

event.pngevent.png

Timeline
32 minutes ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

Congratulations!! that´s amazing! :D
Did the officer tell you at the end of the interview? :D
My fiance and I just filled this September, so we have almost all the wait still. May I ask you how long your process was till NOA2? and how long it took from the NOA2 till you had the interview medical scheduled?
I´m sorry for the questions, it would just be nice to hear from another Dane how your timeline/experience was :)

Again congratulations! :D

Thank you!! And of course, you may!
We filed in early January, NOA2 was July 13th. I received the checklist a month after. I had my medical September 20th and I purposely scheduled my interview a little later than necessary because I still hadn't received the papers I needed for AOF from my fiance. The entire process went very smoothly for us and the interview as well, I was scheduled for 10.00 am. but I actually walked out from there 09.55! Everyone was nice and happy for us! 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! All the best of luck to you and thanks again! 😁

Edited by Reverie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.