khtak716

K1 Approved but stuck on Ready (40 days)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Just curious if any others out there have had or are having long wait times after getting a K1 approval at their interview (with no 221-g issued, no AP)?

My fiance had his interview on Nov 28, 2016, and he was approved; they told him that getting the visa issued on his passport would take up to 10 business days / 15 calendar days.  Yes, the holidays slow things down, but the embassy in Algiers should have only been closed 2 extra days this holiday season.  And we're now at 40 days post-interview, still waiting.  We've checked the CEAC site under IMMIGRANT VISA with our case number, and it was touched on Dec. 22nd but still reads "READY".  If we check NONIMMIGRANT VISA with the DS-160 AA#, we see No Status.  The passport also isn't traceable on the ustraveldocs site, yet.

I've called the customer service number they gave us, but they just referred us to the online CEAC tracker.  So I've called the NVC a few times.  They say everything looks fine but that they are just busy and to wait.  I was given the embassy's email address and wrote an inquiry, but we just got an auto-reply that there would be delays in getting a response due to how many emails they receive and not to re-submit questions.  

I called the embassy and was told that they will not answer visa questions on the phone.  I called back to the NVC and asked if there was any number I could call to get a status update, if we don't hear back soon.  I kept asking for someone to contact, and the lady finally gave me a number for the Office of Inspector General.  I think she just wanted to give me something so I'd stop asking, because the number she gave me is for a hotline you'd call to report "allegations regarding fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement or misconduct affect Department of State programs and operations".  I don't think we're at a point to be able to make such allegations, even as frustrated as we are by this process. 

I found a Department of State number for visa inquiries, but they've updated it to require you to call the NVC for immigrant visas (which K1s actually fall under on the NVC phone line).  So it's a losing battle to get any information, and we're basically having to sit and wait with no explanation and no one to answer why this is taking so long.

We see that other approved K1s who interviewed around the same time as us (or later for other embassies) have already gotten their visas.  Maybe ours is just bad timing.  Someone obviously touched our file on Dec 22nd.  We are trying not to worry, but this situation is so stressful.

If anyone has experience with long K1 waits times after an approved interview or on any steps we can take to try to get answers, please let us know.  We are praying we get good news next week.  But if not, we want to find a way to get some answers, if at all possible.

Thanks for the feedback we've received via email and for anyone who can give us feedback.  Good luck to everyone!!!

7/16/2015: First communication online                     1/23/2017: Visa Received
4/24/2016: Got Engaged! (L)                                      2/1/2017: Entry into USA           
6/10/2016: Filed I-129F petition                                   3/4/2017: Got Married! (L)

6/18/2016: I-129F NOA1                                                4/10/2017: Filed AOS (I-485), EAD, AP

8/18/2016: I-129F NOA2                                                8/4/2017: Approved EAD with AP received

9/5/2016: NVC Received                                               11/8/2017: AOS Approved

9/15/2016: Consulate Received                                   11/16/2017: Green Card Received

11/28/2016: Interview Date - Approved!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi khtak 716 

i am sorry about your case but we are in same boat my visa is approved on 1st dec 2016 and the visa officer said to me i can collect my visa in two weeks but it more than two weeks by then its status change three times first open a new case he change the ready to administrative processing to ready to administrative processing and now he stuck on there i have also almost 37 days to my visa is approved i don't know why he take so much time 

i hope both of us visa issued soon and also the others who waiting for visa.

thank you

Timeline

Hi SAM JBI,

Thanks for writing.  I am also sorry to hear you are in the same situation.  However, I have read that once you start seeing the CEAC site update from Ready to AP and back and forth, this is a good sign that it may soon change to Issued.  It means they are working on your file, at least, so I hope that you get yours soon!

We would be so happy to see our status update.  It's the not knowing if something is wrong and not being able to get answers that is really stressful.  I'm going to write the embassy and call the NVC, again, thought that hasn't gotten us anywhere, so far.  I can't imagine they should be able to keep sitting on an approved visa too much longer without informing us of why or beginning to work on our file, soon. 

This isn't an easy process!  I hope the best for you and all of us going through this!!

7/16/2015: First communication online                     1/23/2017: Visa Received
4/24/2016: Got Engaged! (L)                                      2/1/2017: Entry into USA           
6/10/2016: Filed I-129F petition                                   3/4/2017: Got Married! (L)

6/18/2016: I-129F NOA1                                                4/10/2017: Filed AOS (I-485), EAD, AP

8/18/2016: I-129F NOA2                                                8/4/2017: Approved EAD with AP received

9/5/2016: NVC Received                                               11/8/2017: AOS Approved

9/15/2016: Consulate Received                                   11/16/2017: Green Card Received

Timeline

Hi khtak 716

Thank you for reply. i try to write embassy two times and also the NVC but he don't give any email answer to me. i hope they reply that or they need to give us visa. i hope we both get our visa soon. please let me know about your visa status and also i hope embassy change your status and give you reply.

Good Luck Thank you

Timeline

Hi SAM JBI,

We are rooting for you all and hope you get good news soon!  

Thankfully, our file was updated today, thought not yet showing AP or Issued.  But when I check with the case number under IMMIGRANT VISA and with the DS-160 confirmation number under NONIMMIGRANT VISA, they now both say Ready (before the nonimmigrant one said No Status), and the Case Creation Dates and Status Updated Dates all now show as 08-Jan-2017.  So they are now working on our file, and we hope we hear something very soon. 

Please keep us posted on when yours is issued, and we will let you known, too.  Best wishes on getting a speedy reply!!!

Timeline

Hi Khtak 716

Congratulation i am glad he update your status. i hope they issued the our visa soon.I will let you when my status get update thank you for telling me yours i appreciate.

Good Luck..

Timeline

Hi SAM JBI,

Just an update that our CEAC status changed later on Sunday 1/8/17 to Administrative Processing and changed to a Nonimmigrant Visa; so 41 days to get that first update to AP.  We are still waiting for it to change to ISSUED.  

How many days has it been since yours changed to AP the first time?  I read so many places that it will go from AP to ISSUED in about 1-2 days, but we are still waiting like you all have.

I pray it will happen for all of us soon!  We'll let you know when we get any other updates.  Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hii dear friends, actually i should tell you that all u need is to wait and be optomistic toward this issue. As it really takes time and all u need is to wait. Contacting NVC is not working whn ur case is in embassy. And embassy cant answer all people questions so they normally avoid phon calls and no direct responses. Mine was in AP for 7 month , interview was on 16th May , we were so stressfull and i cant describe how we felt. Finally in 13th Dec we finally recieved an update to retest for medical exam and send it with passport to embassy. Now its about a week that we sent them and just recieved one update yesterday on our case in CEAC. We are still worry as its exactly one year after our i29 approval and we are still holding on our case :( 

i hope it ends for all of us soon ?? We need to be patient and positive although i know its too HARD 

Timeline

Hi Khtak 716

I am glad your status is update start. first time my status was ready and its stuck on there for two weeks after two weeks he change my status to administrative processing and two days after he change again to ready and after two days on 21 dec 2016 he change my status on administrative processing since the 21st dec 2016 my status is still on administrative processing i hope now he change for the issue. please let me know what status he give you next i hope and my prayer for you he change your status to the issue.

Good luck

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have some more information.  First, I am sorry to hear Atiielii your case went into AP at the interview.  I hope that they will resolve this soon!  

In our case, my fiance was given an approval letter at the interview stating, "Congratulations! The Consular Officer issued your entry visa to the United States."  So the AP we see should be rapidly followed by visa issuance; also, the change to AP should happen in 1-2 weeks, rather than this long.

I did call the NVC again, this morning, and pressed them that it is unacceptable that we have this approval with such a delay, and I insisted that we need help in getting a status inquiry reply.  The lady I spoke to said she would contact the NVC to request they respond to us.  Our conversation was polite, and she said she understood, but it still took much pressing and instance before she said she could help that way; I wasn't sure she really could.

I'd read places where people contacted their local congressman's office for assistance with visa inquires.  I did this today (U.S. petitioner can find out what congressman is in their district and call them).  I was transferred to the attorney at the office.  She was very nice and send me a form to fill out and requested I write up a letter of the problem/timelines and provide copies of the NOA2 and NVC notices.  I got her these, plus a scanned copy of my fiance's approval letter, which he received at the interview, along with confirmation of the interview, a copy of the email I sent to the embassy a month ago (that they never replied to), our NOA1 and a copy of his interview confirmation (for good measure).

She told me that sometimes, if you don't receive a welcome (approval) letter but just a verbal approval, the embassy cam wind up going into AP due to more background checks being needed (such as if the fiance(e)'s name shows up on a database and they need to verify if it is them or not).  She said that AP has no specific time limit.  My fiance did receive an approval letter, so I provided it.  She did say, however, that 44 days is far to long NOT to receive some notice of why this is taking so long.  

Your congressman's office has the ability to contact the embassy directly for answers as to status (reasons for delay) and I would assume to help push along cases that are not being processed that should go through.  They can report if AP is for additional background checks, though they cannot tell you specifics, according to the lawyer I spoke to at the office, this morning.

I hope this information will help you both.  Try contacting the Congressman's office and see if you can get an inquiry request.  I will keep you all posted.  Thanks and best wishes!!!

Timeline

Hi All,

Another update - we contacted our Congressman's office today, as I mentioned in the previous post.  We already have an answer!  We sent in the form and evidence the office requested at 10:26am via email.  By 11:40am we got this response:

"Good news – the consular officer got back to me and said the visa is approved (there were unforeseen additional administrative issues) and your fiancé should have passport/visa in hand within 10 days, if not sooner. Please let me know when he receives it, or if he doesn’t have it in 10 days, also please let me know and I’ll get back in touch with our liaison in Algiers."

I can't speak to other Congressman's offices, but the lady I worked with at this one was so helpful and friendly.  I wish I had known to do it, sooner (although I don't suggest people take this option unless something seems to be going wrong, as in our case).  

Maybe you all can try to do the same and see if you can get additional information on your cases.  We may still have a couple of weeks to go, but at least we know better where we stand, now.

Take care!

Timeline

HI KHTAK 716

Thats the good new you reach the someone who tell you about your case and i glad he say you get your visa in ten days thats good new. i hope you can get your visa ASAP. 

can you please tell me where you contact the embassy man or lady who told you about the visa thing.

i hope every one can get the visa ASAP. please tell me if he change you case status.

Good Luck

Timeline
5 hours ago, SAM JBI said:

HI KHTAK 716

Thats the good new you reach the someone who tell you about your case and i glad he say you get your visa in ten days thats good new. i hope you can get your visa ASAP. 

can you please tell me where you contact the embassy man or lady who told you about the visa thing.

i hope every one can get the visa ASAP. please tell me if he change you case status.

Good Luck

Hi SAM JBI,

Thank you so much!  I want to report that our visa status went to ISSUED today!  I believe 100% without contacting my Congressman's office, this would not have happened.  We have to wait through the weekend for the courier service to notify us of when it is ready to pick up (my fiance's passport is not yet trackable on the ustraveldocs.gov site).

Feel free to contact me via the email for any specifics about your case.  I'm not sure what state the petitioner is from, in your case.  As the U.S. petitioner, I did a Google search for my state and "Congressman's Office".  I got the nearest office's website for my voting district, which is in Raleigh NC (http://holding.house.gov/).  If you all are out of Dallas, Texas (per your profile), I looked up and saw several congressmen.  You will either have to know the voting district for the petitioner or call one of the offices and they can tell you which congressman serves your district.  I found these, as examples:

Timeline

Oops, I hit Submit by accident - this is what I meant to post:

Good Luck

Hi SAM JBI,

Thank you so much!  I want to report that our visa status went to ISSUED today!  I believe 100% without contacting my Congressman's office, this would not have happened.  We have to wait through the weekend for the courier service to notify us of when it is ready to pick up (my fiance's passport is not yet trackable on the ustraveldocs.gov site).

Feel free to contact me via the email for any specifics about your case.  I'm not sure what state the petitioner is from, in your case.  As the U.S. petitioner, I did a Google search for my state and "Congressman's Office".  I got the nearest office's website for my voting district.  If you all are out of Dallas, Texas (per your profile), there are several congressmen.  You will either have to know the voting district for your fiancee or call one of the offices and they can tell you which congressman serves your district (by the address of the U.S. petitioner).  I found these different congressmen for different districts in Dallas, Texas (there may be others).

This site may help locate the right one: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/County.aspx?CountyCode=113&CountyName=Dallas

Have the U.S. petitioner (your fiancee) call the office and request to speak to someone about an issue where you have an approved K1 visa but that the passport has not been issued for XY number of days and you need assistance because you can get no reply from the U.S. embassy or NVC.  They will likely put you through to the lawyer in the office who manages this service.  You will have to fill out a privacy release for information.  

I filled out the privacy form as the petitioner and my fiance's info as the beneficiary with where we filed, etc.  I was asked to write up an explanation of the delay and our request for info and give scanned copies of the notices we've received.  They will tell you the info you need to provide.  I did this all over email with scanned PDFs of the documents.  I also had my fiance scan and send me the letter the embassy had given him at the interview which said "Congratulations! The Consular Officer issued your entry visa to the United States."  If you have such a letter, tell them about it on the phone (and I'd suggest you scan it and send it along with the other evidence they may need).

Good luck and let me know how it goes!! I pray you get answers ASAP!!!!

Timeline

Hey All,

I thought to show you all what I wrote up to give to the Congressman's office (they asked for a brief description of the situation, and I'm sure I over-documented it, like I do).  But it must have helped. You will also have to fill out and sign a privacy form they send you (or from their website).

I made this letter generic, but of course you'll have to change the info to fit your situation and what documents you are providing (that the Congressman's office asked for).  

In my case, we had an approved visa that they sat on for 44 days and wouldn't issue, without any reason as to why not.  Please know I am not suggesting that folks contact their Congressman's office the second there is a delay, as that would overwhelm the whole system.  We are all in a waiting process which is painful, but we can expect some delays (which is why we were patient through the holiday season, for instance).  But at some point, if your case is having issues, like ours, your congressman may be able to help you. 

Representative’s Name

Address

U.S. Petitioner’s Name

Address

Date

RE:  Inquiry on delay in issuance of Approved K1 Visa (Case# XYZ)

Dear Sir or Madam:

This letter is to request a status update concerning the approved K1 Visa that I, [Petitioner’s Name], submitted on behalf of my [fiancé(e)] [Beneficiary’s Name].

I filed the petition in [Month, Year] which was received by the USCIS California Service Center on [Month, Day, Year] (noted on form I-797C).  We later received form I-797, noting a receipt date of [Month, Day, Year] showing the petition had been approved on [Month, Day, Year].

My [fiancé(e)] had [his/her] interview on [Month, Day, Year]. [He/She] received a written approval of [his/her] visa being issued, as well as a verbal approval.  The letter [he/she] was given said [his/her] visa would take [5] business days to be issued; however, [he/she] was verbally told it takes [10 business days / 15 calendar days].

It has now been [XY] days since my [fiancé(e)’s] approval at [his/her] interview.  On [Month, Day, Year], the CEAC online status check did show a change from Ready to Administrative Processing, with that date, and the visa designation was changed to ‘nonimmigrant visa’.  We were hopeful that [his/her] passport would be issued within 2 business days, as indicated in the CEAC message, but that has not yet occurred.

I’ve made calls to the National Visa Center (NVC) on [Month, Day, Year], [Month, Day, Year] and [Month, Day, Year].   They originally advised me to email the U.S. [Consulate/Embassy] in [City of U.S. Consulate/Embassy], which I did on [Month, Day, Year].  I never received a reply.

I am attaching the following documents, for your review:

• [Notices:  I-797C and I-797
  • NVC Notice
  • Appointment Confirmation
  • Email to U.S. Embassy in Algiers – Passport Status Inquiry
  • Welcome Letter of Issuance of Visa at Approved Interview]

I agree to have information released regarding the status of our case and the reason for the delay.  If there is any information we can receive regarding expected timelines to receive the passport/visa/packet, please let us know.  Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

[signature]

[U.S. Petitioner’s Name]

Email address

Phone #

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.