Jump to content
Mary Bernard

Bringing Sister under 21 years old

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



my husband is applying for citizenship and i understand that he will be able to petition his parents,


im a little confused, can he petition for his sister? Or will it be faster if their parents petition for her once they get here? Because i read somewhere that permanent residents will be able to petition,


Shes under 21 years old,



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

 It would be best for the parent to petition for the UNMARRIED child/daughter.  She must remain unmarried until  she arrives into the USA.    Your husband can file a petition for the sister.. however it will take 10+ years to be completed... vs  when the parent does it for his sister/their daughter it will be a 3-5 year process on average. 

Current cut off date F2A - Aug 22, 2016

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank u sir for reply,


so once the parents have their green card in hand they can petition her asap?


3-5 years seems better ahahaah ??? vs 10 years,


shes 18 years old, and also in the process of petitioning her, turning 21 wont affect the petition? She just has to stay unmarried and no kids

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the day that the parents enter the US with immigration visas, they can immediately petition for her.  Their immigration visas upon entering the US becomes temporary 1 year green cards (I-551).


It's 24 years for a US citizen to petition for a sibling born in the Philippines.


If she turns 21 years old during the wait, she will age out from the F2a category and into the F2b category where the current wait is 10 years.  CSPA may allow her to retain the F2a category but there is no way to calculate if CSPA will help until her PD becomes current in the F2a category.


She must remain single throughout the entire process.  She must enter the US as a single woman.


Kids are fine.  They can immigrate with her as her derivative beneficiaries on the petition filed for her.


IMHO - prepare everything in advance, become a USC as quick as possible, file for the parents on the day he gets his Certificate of Naturalization or a US passport, and have the parents fly to the US as soon as they get their immigrant visas, and file for their daughter on the day they enter the US.  A few days procrastinating may push their daughter into the F2b category without CSPA protection thus forcing her to wait 10+ years.  Time is of the essence.

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To piggyback off of what aaron2020 said, you are racing against time now since she is already 18. If the entire process of your husband naturalizing, petitioning parents, then parents petitioning the sister is more than 3 years then she will be at risk of aging out. After she ages out the process will take 10 plus years.


Ricardo is correct that it usually takes more than 10 years but there are 3 countries where it actually takes 20 years, Mexico, India, and Philippines.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 plus a day, or 19 minus one day? May be too late.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.