25 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi! For the past few months me and my fiance have been questioning what we should do about us living together one day.

We are both very young, (I'm 18 and will be turning 19 and he's just a year older than me) We have been together for about half a year which isn't much... I know, but we are positive that we want to spend forever with each other. Having a long distance relationship is hard and the problem with being young and living in Sweden (he's in FL) is that we haven't had time to see each other... We did try to, we got plane tickets for me to see him but my parents refused me to go and threaten to kick me out if I went, which is a problem since I am still attending to school. 

I will be graduating in June 2017 and we have been deciding that we want to live together, even get married and start a life together this year. It's painful loving someone you can't hold or touch... So my question for you guys is,  what should we do?  What is the best we can do?

I know that our case isn't really that "good" and I'm terrified of getting rejected of a K-1 fiance visa... Is the best we can do to visit each other for 90 days and try to apply for the visa till next year? Or can we get it all done this year?

Please help, I want us to be certain before doing something big like this! Thank you in advance!

Just now, LittleMiss said:

Sadly no...  Which is why I wondered if it's better to just spend 2017 to visit each other and spend time that way? 

You need to meet at least once before you can file the K1.  Very few are approved with non-meeting waivers and people jump through a lot of hoops and spend years getting those waivers approved. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Shiobhan said:

LittleMiss slow down, you have a long life ahead & many love to give

after you educate yourself & follow your parents directions, You have

no clue about the other person typing & he needs to be 21 to file a petition

Oh, I had no idea you had to be 21... I see,  and I understand that we might be rushing it and you are definitely right.. it's just hard sometimes :(

thank you for your advice though! 

If you are marrying in the us, the only age requirement is 18. However, he will have to show proof that his income is above the poverty level. The USCIS website has those requirements. 

If I were you, I would visit first. 

My husband and I met one time in person before we decided to marry. I wasnt that much older than you. I was 22 at the time.

He lived in Jamaica. I lived in the US. I had never been out of the country.  Since this was our first time, I stayed in a hotel in the center of town. I let a trusted friend know my hotel address a long with his full name. I also made sure i had enough money for any emergencies (about 1000 usd).

my thoughts to you is:

Dont disobey your parents. Wait until you are on your own if they disapprove.  Time is the true test of love. 

If you want to be sure you are really speaking to him, video chat more than just talking. 

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, LittleMiss said:

Hi! For the past few months me and my fiance have been questioning what we should do about us living together one day.

We are both very young, (I'm 18 and will be turning 19 and he's just a year older than me) We have been together for about half a year which isn't much... I know, but we are positive that we want to spend forever with each other. Having a long distance relationship is hard and the problem with being young and living in Sweden (he's in FL) is that we haven't had time to see each other... We did try to, we got plane tickets for me to see him but my parents refused me to go and threaten to kick me out if I went, which is a problem since I am still attending to school. 

I will be graduating in June 2017 and we have been deciding that we want to live together, even get married and start a life together this year. It's painful loving someone you can't hold or touch... So my question for you guys is,  what should we do?  What is the best we can do?

I know that our case isn't really that "good" and I'm terrified of getting rejected of a K-1 fiance visa... Is the best we can do to visit each other for 90 days and try to apply for the visa till next year? Or can we get it all done this year?

Please help, I want us to be certain before doing something big like this! Thank you in advance!

Hej och välkommen!

No..  he doesn't have to be 21! He only needs to be free to legally marry under the state laws of the state in which you both intend to marry :)

I'm sorry about your parents feeling that way!  In Sweden 18-19 is quite grown up and I'm sure if you weren't dependant on them you would just say "sorry but I'm going! " which is just how most of us are raised over there... the culture is for us to be independent early on. That said, ofc you still have to meet! Since your parents feel the way they do perhaps him coming to Sweden to visit will be the best thing. Then they can get to know him and see what kind of person he is :) and also for you two ofc!

If you need any help, tips or suggestions later on feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to help you with any questions I can. .

Jag vet hur det känns att va ifrån varandra! Känns som en evighet...

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He can make a few visits, you can make a few visits, see how it goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He needs to be 18 to petition not 21. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

date, you never truly know a person to you see them at their best and worst. Courtship is part of the fun of a relationship, discovery of each other too

5 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Living apart you won't see a person at their worst probably ever. Me and my husband knew after 6 months as well.. we filed after about a year and meeting once for 3 months. There is time for lots of courtship and discovery during this time :D

Also life is too short to not take some risks and live it to the fullest (not saying she shouldn't take precautions when meeting as described by another member). Some marriages don't last even if ppl knew each other for years ahead and some last forever after a few months. None of us know how well they know the "real" eachother. You can only ever put your trust and all in and hope for the best.

Anyhow, we are all different in risk-taking..I'm sure OP and bf will make the right decision for them :) 

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

Living apart you won't see a person at their worst probably ever. Me and my husband knew after 6 months as well.. we filed after about a year and meeting once for 3 months. There is time for lots of courtship and discovery during this time :D

Also life is too short to not take some risks and live it to the fullest (not saying she shouldn't take precautions when meeting as described by another member). Some marriages don't last even if ppl knew each other for years ahead and some last forever after a few months. None of us know how well they know the "real" eachother. You can only ever put your trust and all in and hope for the best.

Anyhow, we are all different in risk-taking..I'm sure OP and bf will make the right decision for them :) 

but until they actually meet they are only penpals with feelings, I agree life needs some adventure and risk taking but better to meet and learn each other before committing to marriage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.